Default CC SV2 Surging Isssues

I have the following:
Axial Wraith
HH 30 Turn Torquemaster Pro
CC SV2 ESC
CC external BEC
Savox SC 0251 Servo
FS GT3B TX

My issue is when I'm running my truck on a 3S battery, I have issues with the truck surging at slow speeds after about 5 minutes of running. It responds properly at higher speed.

This will also happens when the truck is on the bench with no load. I suspend the truck on my stand and zip tie the throttle so it is just barely engaged. When I run it with my 2S battery, I don't get the issue.

I tried a differand RX/TX combo and had the same results, so that isn't the issue.

I had the same problem when I had the CC Sidewinder SCT ESC (smoked that one).

I called Castle Creations yesterday and talked to one of the service techs who gave me some tips. None of them worked.

I have the esc set up for auto LiPo with 3.2v/cell.

Any ideas or suggestions?
ElBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: CC SV2 Surging Isssues

Thats a weird one, have you tried another motor? My guess is that it could be the motor having some kind of issues when it gets warm or something like that. My theory is confirmed by the fact that it has been the same with 2 different ESC's.

Que EddieO or JRH to spew a bunch of technical terms...
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The only other motor I have is the 3800KV BL motor that came with the sidewinder. I will switch it out tonight and see if that's the issue.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

What do you mean when it "surges" at low speed? Like when you crawl and all of a sudden you a jolt of throttle without any additional input?

From what you have stated you basically went through the process of elimination so you have just the motor and ESC to test now. I'd try another brushed motor to see if it does the same thing. If so you will know it is a motor issue (may be damaged).

Or you can try a different ESC on the Holmes 30T and you will know it's the ESC (either faulty or wrong ESC settings).

The last time I had unexpected throttle input was from a faulty Traxxas VXL-3s ESC...turned out it was defective. The symptoms were after running for a minute or two it would kill all throttle and then take off full throttle on its own with me only being able to steer. I tried different radio systems, motor, and batteries before coming to this conclusion.

Last edited by alexchen86; 05-24-2012 at 01:16 PM.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
What do you mean when it "surges" at low speed? Like when you crawl and all of a sudden you a jolt of throttle without any additional input?
Basically what happens is while at steady, low speeds on level ground or on the bench, I will lose some power and then regain power. It never surges past what speed it was at the original input. If anything, it will be slightly slower. I'll shoot a vidoe of it when I get home this evening and post it on here for better clarification.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other brushed motors or esc's laying around to compare issues with. All my other RC components are 1/18 scale and none of it is rated for 3s.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

sounds more like worn brushes on the motor or one of the brushes getting hung than an esc problem.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

OK, here is a video of what is going on. I have confirmed that is not a motor issue

CC SV2 Pulsating - YouTube
Old 05-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
wyd
Rock Crawler

I would set the external bec to 7.0v. The motor timing to lowest, start power to low, and setup in crawler mode. If it still does it I would try a different brand 3s lipo. Lipo cutoff I use auto or 3.4 per cell.

I just started crawling a little with my SV2 and its smooth as glass on 2S lipo. Once thing I know is Castle speedos like power and don't care too much for lower quality packs. If it goes 5 minutes or so and starts that I think its battery related or motor heat.

See if any of these help you out. The Savox servos love power as well so thats why I said set the external BEC at 7 volts.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
I would set the external bec to 7.0v. The motor timing to lowest, start power to low, and setup in crawler mode. If it still does it I would try a different brand 3s lipo. Lipo cutoff I use auto or 3.4 per cell.

I just started crawling a little with my SV2 and its smooth as glass on 2S lipo. Once thing I know is Castle speedos like power and don't care too much for lower quality packs. If it goes 5 minutes or so and starts that I think its battery related or motor heat.

See if any of these help you out. The Savox servos love power as well so thats why I said set the external BEC at 7 volts.
I have the ESC set for crawling. The motor is set to 0 timing. My external BEC is set at 6.0V, because I am also running my led's off of it. I will change the start power to low and adjust the Lipo cutoff.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Try the lower startup power. I was having the same troubles with a MMP until I made the start power low. Not sure if it affects anything in brushed mode on the SV2, but it is worth a shot. You may also try changing firmwares to see if it is hidden in one of them.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Jus
I wanna be Dave

God help you, sir. I had this EXACT same issue with multiple SV2's I dealt with Castle directly and every speedo they sent me did the same thing... I have determined the SV2 is a POS and I'll never own one again.

Here is the thread I started.. Maybe it can help you.

Sidewinder V2 throttle fading
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
God help you, sir. I had this EXACT same issue with multiple SV2's I dealt with Castle directly and every speedo they sent me did the same thing... I have determined the SV2 is a POS and I'll never own one again.

Here is the thread I started.. Maybe it can help you.

Sidewinder V2 throttle fading
Funny as I have a bunch of these and they perform perfectly in my 2wd mod SC, my 4wd SC and my Crawler. Funny how they work for some and not for others. I have test ones that I have from Castle to let other guys at our track test and they work perfect and the newest software out is better than any software they have had for a Sidewinder.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote

CC SV2 Surging Isssues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
surging xller8 Newbie General 3 04-06-2009 04:23 PM
Surging? flexcj5 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 08-27-2008 02:36 PM
Mystery surging? Chuki General Crawlers 7 03-05-2006 03:44 PM
Surging problems whuzzz_up_dogg Tamiya Clod Buster 5 02-21-2006 05:39 AM
Surging zach3713 General Crawlers 9 01-29-2006 06:20 PM