Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lipos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Lipos?

Im new to lipos haven't ran them in the past but. Time two change im tired of a big stick pack on my crawlers and cars so whats the best Lipo to get for scale crawling. I'd like It to be small as possible. So you guys tell me what you run and ill go from there. Thanks
scx10 honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Lipos?

Check out Maxamps, they make some smal Lio packs for crawlers. I used to run a little pack on the front axle of my AX10 Scorpion. I think it was a 2200 mah pack, 2s
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

thanks. some how Maxamps skiped my mined.
scx10 honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I really like my MV2250 packs, no issues whatsoever. And the fact you can install in small locations plus 2s, 3s, 4s and so on.
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I have been using a 3s 35C 1300mAh lipo with my SCX10. I get about 35 minutes of run time with it.

When running smaller lipos in a crawler you have a higher C rating (30-35C range).

Also make sure to get a good quality charger. A really cheap one can shorten the lifespan of the lipo.

Here are the specs on the two brands of packs that I am using:
Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Batteries - Lithium :: HMC 35C 1300mah lipo

CheapBatteryPacks - Elite 1300 11.1V 35C Lipo Pack
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

it depends on what you are after. do you want 2s, 3s? are you looking for an hour or more runtime out of a pack, or do you want smaller batteries and switch them out?

i run sky lipo batteries from hobbypartz.com. they have been good, are cheap to buy, and i carry several of them with me when we go.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #7

I just recently got out of racing and now changing over to crawling... To be honest, like hog head said go to hobbypartz.com, I had several $70, $80, and even a couple $120 lipo's... and my favorite Batts are the Gensace batteries. I ran 2s 5000mah. My batteries varied from a couple 100c rated ones all the way to 40c... I ran a few tests on my batteries to see wich ones I would run for my races and which one I would run for the last race... I had several gensace batts that were the 40c and a couple 50c ones... I paid like $30-35 for the Gens ace battery and was performing just as good and better than most of my $70-80 batteries... A couple of the Gens ace batteries actually replaced a couple of the more expensive packs and saw MANY races.... Its bad when you nd up racing with a $30 battrery and leave the $80 batteries for practice... Spend the extra money on a quality charger and get a decent ceaper battery.... The charger will keep the battery perfoming right... Whereas you get an expensive battery and a cheap charger, the charger with never get the battery to fullest potential...

Another thing, your esc has/ or should have a Lipo cut-off. When people say they have 20-30 min run times, I guarentee they are running it all the way to the Lipo cut-off. That is horrible for the batteries... The Lipo cut-off is like the red line on the motor in your car... How long do you think your car would last if you pushed the motor to redline every time you drove it??

If your ESC is programable then look at the cut-off voltage and bump it up a little bit so it doesnt go all the way to the min voltage. Yes, it will cut down on the run time but it extends the life of the battery...

You can still do the same if your ESC isnt programable... It just takes a liitle work and some discipline.. Now with the quality charger you bought (be sure it has a LCD read out and balancer) ensure the battery is fully charged. Get a stop watch and set your truck up where the wheels are not touching the ground and time it to see how long it takes the truck to hit the Lipo cut off with minimal load... Write that time down and note that it was "no load". Recharge the battery and do the same again just drive it around on the street or something... Just ensure that its running pretty much wide open the whole time on the ground. And again write that time down and put "with load." Now that should give you and idea of how long it takes your truck to run the battery down running non-stop... Now, that you have those times go time a crawling session... you can time a slow paced crawl session, med paced, and a faster paced one... With those times it should give you a general idea of when you battery is going to hit the Lipo cut-off depending upon how you drive... Use a timer whenever you go crawl... Most remotes should have a timer built-in, and just set it for a time where you know it wont hit the lipo cut off... Like I said it takes a little work and discipline that way... But to protect your investment sometimes thats what it takes lol
Skunkworkz054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The new 8000mah Dual Core LiPos from MaxAmps.com

Not saying that they're horrible packs, just that the cost isn't justified over other packs.

I've had great luck with turnigy & zippy packs so far. Up next to try are sky and gens ace packs as I toss out/give away my packs every 12-18 months. Being that they're so cheap.

For crawlers/scalers, go 3s for the motor rpms and gear down for batt life.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #9

I don't like maxamps bc their "C" ratings are fluffed (no where near accurate)
Alot of companies take the burst C rating and claim that as their operating c rating... "true 150C" Im pulling out the bull$hi

Last edited by Skunkworkz054; 07-21-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Skunkworkz054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #10

I just switched to lipos and I got mine from HobbyPartz.com. Low prices, quick shipping and I have had no problems.
crashen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Like some others said Hobbypartz has really good batteries for cheap. You cannot go wrong with Gens Ace and Sky Lipo for the price. They offer free shipping on orders of $50 and are quick to ship.
Bambie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lipos? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New on Lipos, how to no waste money in overpowered LIPOS. raolguio Electronics 6 11-03-2010 03:08 PM