Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushed to brushless??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Brushed to brushless??

I've had this idea for a while but never acted on it due to the fact that i don't know much about electric motors. Is it possible to turn a regular brushed motor into a brushless motor?
93 FORD BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 04:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Brushed to brushless??

Not really, it's way faster/cheaper/easier to just buy a BL motor.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 FORD BRONCO View Post
I've had this idea for a while but never acted on it due to the fact that i don't know much about electric motors. Is it possible to turn a regular brushed motor into a brushless motor?
We're just talkin' smack here, money and physics aren't holding us back, how would you go about doing that?

Would you be trying to accomplish something usable, or just strictly a 'proof of concept' type of a project?
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If it were possible it wouldn't be like a typical brushless motor since a bushed motor has the magnets fixed and the windings spin on the armature while a bl motor the windings are fixed and the magnet is in the center which spins

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
Suck it up!

You could totally do it. All you'd need is to strip the brushed motor down, throw the brushes, endbell, and springs away, pry the magnets out of the can, throw them away too. Then, press the armature and stacks off of the shaft. Throw those away too.

Now that you've got that done, clean the can and bearings up really really good. Lube the bearing too. It'd suck to go through all this work and not have lubed bearings.

Grab a chunk of steel and machine out a new armature to fit into the can. Figure out how many winds you want, and how you want to wind it. Going sensored? Solder all of the components onto a custom cut circuit board...hall sensors, temp sensor, all that good stuff.

Next, find a nice neo magnet that will fit on the old shaft and inside of the armature that you've wound. Press it into place.

Machine a new endbell, put the armature in the can, followed by the rotor and the sensor ring. Wire it all up and test for smoke. Go play!

Easy peasy.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #6
Proverbial threadkiller

Far more complicated than the plan I had, but it does provide a usable (inrunner) style of motor.

My plan was simply to machine a mount, bolt it to the table,
ditch the endcap, brushes, etc off the brushed motor,
slip the comm end of the armature in the mount on the table and crank 'er down tight,
connect the three wires from the brushless ESC to the three segments on the comm. (pretty much requires you to use a 3 pole brushed motor, the most popular in use at this time),
the can just sits in it's normal place.

Sounds to me like a brushed motor just got converted to a brushless outrunner.
I don't have enough education or experience to know if it's just that easy, but if it works, proof of concept is done.

To make it at all usable one could machine an adapter that bolts to the PTO end of the can, and put some holes in it for mounting a prop or pulley.

If the original intent was to make an inrunner that could be bolted back into where the brushed motor came out of,
instead of bolting the mount to the table, bolt it to a square plate (or make the mount itself square),
make a similar square plate for the PTO end,
4 rods will connect the two,
the PTO end adapter previously mentioned can then get a small length of 1/8th" or 5mm shaft (instead of bolting on a prop),
the square plate on the PTO end will have a hole in the middle for the output shaft to come through, and two more roughly 25mm apart which is where you'd bolt it to your stock motor plate.

I think before I went this route, even a notorious skin-flint like me would just cut loose with a handful of 20's and buy something that actually stood a chance of working.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushed to brushless?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushed vs. Brushless goodvibessa Newbie General 3 01-25-2011 04:39 AM
Brushed or brushless.... fishnride883 Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 08-29-2010 06:43 PM
Brushed or Brushless?!? shadowrejects Non Crawler RC's 11 04-24-2010 03:55 PM
Brushed vs Brushless griz2575 Newbie General 9 04-13-2009 07:06 AM
Novak Releases "The Goat" brushed/brushless esc and sintered brushless motor Rockpiledriver Electronics 70 09-26-2007 05:59 PM