Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: rc4wd xr4, any reviews?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Talking rc4wd xr4, any reviews?

Looking at picking up the xr4, great price, and ch3 and 4 are three position switching, perfect for winch and 2 speed tranny for scx10. Anyone have one that can give a review? My big concern is glitching and reliability. Thank you in advance!
summervillecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: rc4wd xr4, any reviews?

No EPA on 3 or 4...

Hacked gt3B is your best bet.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

End points adjustments, is that a real issue if 3 and 4 are for a servo winch, and then the 2 speed tranny for scx10? I saw that about the EPA, but wasnt sure how big and issue. The winch doesnt need EPA, cause its full rotation servo right? Im using heyoks' winch controler, ordered it today!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by summervillecrawler View Post
End points adjustments, is that a real issue if 3 and 4 are for a servo winch, and then the 2 speed tranny for scx10? I saw that about the EPA, but wasnt sure how big and issue. The winch doesnt need EPA, cause its full rotation servo right? Im using heyoks' winch controler, ordered it today!
Yea it is a big deal, why not buy the hacked GT3B?

You could buy a 4pl if you want or a stick radio...
Old 08-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Yea it is a big deal, why not buy the hacked GT3B?
You could buy a 4pl if you want or a stick radio...
(EPA) Your the second one to say its a big deal, can you tell me why? The servo winch doesnt need it, thats for sure. And im not quite clear on why the two speed tranny would need it. Travel can be adjusted at the servo arm.

(GT3B) Im looking for plug and play here, not quite savy enough, or have enough time to buy a radio to have to tear it down and ad switches and a new program and what not.

4PL $249 Im not a comp guy, no need for that amount...

Stick radio... thought about it, but then I might think my scx10 could fly....
Old 08-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

you can get the gt3c fully hacked and ready to go.
this is the way I am going to go when budget presents its self. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
sidehiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
(EPA) Your the second one to say its a big deal, can you tell me why? The servo winch doesnt need it, thats for sure. And im not quite clear on why the two speed tranny would need it. Travel can be adjusted at the servo arm.

(GT3B) Im looking for plug and play here, not quite savy enough, or have enough time to buy a radio to have to tear it down and ad switches and a new program and what not.

4PL $249 Im not a comp guy, no need for that amount...

Stick radio... thought about it, but then I might think my scx10 could fly....
Because even if you dont need it today you may need it tomorrow and having it and not needing it and needing it and not having it are two very different things.

You really should have EPA's for a shift servo, way easier than trying to adjust it with linkage. You probably dont need it for a servo winch but if you ever need it you will have it.

XR 4 receivers are $30 not sure if there is an alternative but receivers for a GT3B/C are $6-10 depending on how many channels you are running. Also a hacked GT3B can go up to 8 channels, with a scaler that can come in handy.

Hit up LosiKid he will hook you up with a prehacked unit for roughly the same price as the XR4 is.

If you dont want to listen that is fine with me but then why start a thread on here asking a question? Seems like you asked hoping to get a good reaction, if the XR4 was very good at all you would see a lot of people using it...From where I am sitting I am seeing very few XR4s and a lot of GT3B's.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

pre hacked gt3b is 50 bucks + shipping
Products - OverkillRC

rc4wd radio is $90+shipping

theres a $40 reason to go with the gt3b

gt3b- proven track record
rc4wd xr4- hardly any one runs em

if your going to buy a radio,why not get more than you need for less money?

EPA is great.once you fry a couple servos form over driving em,you'll understand why.
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thank you stanmondz, thats the most reasonable answer so far. It seems like alot of answers are "do this cause I said so" or "your stupid if you dont" types of answer with no other explaination. I end up doing things in trip licit with my oldest son and wife running with me, and my 5 and 6 year old are moving past new bright junk pretty quickly. I will contact overkill rc and find out what kinds of different options there are.

SMR, Yes i do look for a GOOD reaction when I post a thread, because I hope for GOOD answers. When someone asks a question, I look for someone to give the best answer one can give, detailed with facts, and an explanation as to why things need or should be a certain way,otherwise it comes across as opinions and sarcasm. Im not blasting you by the way, I am responding to your last post, and by no means do I intend any disrespect.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
SMR, Yes i do look for a GOOD reaction when I post a thread, because I hope for GOOD answers. When someone asks a question, I look for someone to give the best answer one can give, detailed with facts, and an explanation as to why things need or should be a certain way,otherwise it comes across as opinions and sarcasm. Im not blasting you by the way, I am responding to your last post, and by no means do I intend any disrespect.
Sorry if I came off wrong but I did give you all the information I felt was necessary, figured you could take it from where I left off. The GT3B is the most discussed radio on this forum and there is tons of info on it, I am not going to try to sell one to you like I am going to make a commission off the sale.

Lets go over the facts I previously stated:
Price-Cheap
RX Price-1/3 the price of the XR4
Channels-Up to 8
EPA-On every channel

On top of that you get proportionally adjustable mixing (maybe you want 4ws in the future) and most likely some firmware updates down the road to make it even better.

rc4wd xr4, any reviews? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd xr4 09 Screw Electronics 14 12-08-2010 07:06 PM
Rc4wd Xr4 MnRockCrawler Electronics 0 12-02-2010 04:39 PM
Any one have a RC4WD XR4 TX? BEELZEBOB Electronics 2 10-06-2010 01:33 PM
RC4WD XR4 Help turbojake Electronics 10 09-13-2010 07:09 PM
Rc4wd xr4 Laker67 Electronics 1 09-07-2010 02:25 PM