LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: two fxr's two 3amp bec's why run an external

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
had a food orgasm eating king crab and bananna pudding
This sounds nasty, just saying

Hope you didn't mix up the orgasm with the pudding. That could ruin a good sea food dinner.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

it was so good, seriously

I can understand why these guys risk thier lives to catch these big crabs
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #43
MODERATOR™

Feels good to delete 11 posts all at once.

Carry on with the BEC question/info.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #44
Got Worms?

Quote:
There are alot of problems with for example the MMP that you would never see out of a tekin product. But if the Tekin guys say you can run it together, then it should be ok.
This is why people are being an ass,

a.)what makes the mmp inferior to the tekin? Both are great products, the fxr is just smaller.

b.)Yes, you can run them together but don't plan on there being double the current...lets say the internal bec did put out 3 amps on both of them, you won't get the extra 3 amps of power out of the 2nd esc until the first one is maxed out, and running at its max will put a serious strain on it and it'll generate alot of heat and burn up....

and the tekin guys said to run an external bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
But, the proper thing to do is put the external BEC on anyways. It's easier on the ESCs, plus if the BEC fails (which they do) it is more easily replaced and cheaper than a new FXR.

Yes they are regulated, but as voltage goes up, the amperage the BEC can supply goes down. If you're running 3S, no question you need an external that can provide a higher amperage.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #45
Rock Stacker

you do get double amperage and the amp draw should be even over the two esc's. there isn't any reason it would use all of one then goto the other. It would be an equal draw over both speedo's. How many servo's even draw 4+amps? I mean even a 300 oz servo should be fine at 4-5 amps which this setup could maintain all day.

And Tekin guys said it was fine, but run the bec if you want extra insurance and an easier to replace option if it did go bad.

But if you are looking to save weight there is no reason not to try it, I am not saying change to this before going to the nats, but there are prolly guys who have more than one rig that could try it out.

Also the MMP has a really weak bec and I would suggest running an external on it at all times. But I have found in my other tekin cars even with high powered 250oz servo's I have never needed a bec
Old 09-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #46
MODERATOR™

Quote:
I mean even a 300 oz servo should be fine at 4-5 amps which this setup could maintain all day.
Maybe with 2S lipo input, but no one uses 2S.

And real servos are pushing 400 oz at 6.0v, then almost 500 oz at 7.4v. And that's what people are using, with 3S or more batteries.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
you do get double amperage and the amp draw should be even over the two esc's. there isn't any reason it would use all of one then goto the other. It would be an equal draw over both speedo's. How many servo's even draw 4+amps? I mean even a 300 oz servo should be fine at 4-5 amps which this setup could maintain all day.

And Tekin guys said it was fine, but run the bec if you want extra insurance and an easier to replace option if it did go bad.

But if you are looking to save weight there is no reason not to try it, I am not saying change to this before going to the nats, but there are prolly guys who have more than one rig that could try it out.

Also the MMP has a really weak bec and I would suggest running an external on it at all times. But I have found in my other tekin cars even with high powered 250oz servo's I have never needed a bec
Stop arguing, you are NOT going to win.

Go hook up your 2 FXR's & go play with it.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #48
Rock Stacker

people keep saying that you don't get double the amperage and that is flat wrong

You get double the amperage
Old 09-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #49
Got Worms?

Quote:
you do get double amperage and the amp draw should be even over the two esc's. there isn't any reason it would use all of one then goto the other.
Yes there is a reason, but since you don't want to read, there's no use of posting it a 3rd time.

Quote:
It would be an equal draw over both speedo's.
No it wouldn't be...

Quote:
How many servo's even draw 4+amps? I mean even a 300 oz servo should be fine at 4-5 amps
Many of the high torque servo's stall out at and pull about 5 amps

Quote:
which this setup could maintain all day.
Although its rated at that, its not ideal to be running a regulator at its max output

Quote:
Yea, its fine to run the two together, just don't run a high draw servo off them as. The high draw servo is what burns up stuff...

Quote:
The reason not to try it is the potential of burning up a $100 esc

Quote:
You may run 250 oz servo's all the time off a tekin internal bec, but i bet those servo's aren't constantly being stalled out like they are on a crawler

I have burnt up a fxr thinking the same thing you are, get an external bec and save yourself $80 in the future
Old 09-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #50
Suck it up!

Quote:
but there are prolly guys who have more than one rig that could try it out.
I thought you were "100% sure". Why don't you try it with your own rig?

Quote:
people keep saying that you don't get double the amperage and that is flat wrong

You get double the amperage
T-h-e-o-r-e-t-i-c-a-l-l-y. As its been said before, there have been many people who have been down that road and ended up with horrible performance or a fried esc. I'm sorry I can't sprinkle that with complicated technical jargon, but its the simple truth. I don't think there is a person on this board that would not absolutely love to be able to tie their two internal becs together and ditch the external unit, but at this point in time it is not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Yes there is a reason, but since you don't want to read, there's no use of posting it a 3rd time.
I'm starting to think this guy is just a troll...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
...I'm starting to think this guy is just a troll...
Gotta be. Gettin a bit long in the tooth he is
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

Cool, I understand what you are saying. I have a hobbico c 170 servo which is about 300 oz servo, and I will prolly upgrade from that for my xr and toss that in my scx10. I will be adding a bec to it, that was never the point. I just got to thinking, and stirred up a hornets nest. Obviously this has been dealt with many times before because you all are passionate about it. It just seemed like over kill to run a bec but let me say

I GOT IT, I UNDERSTAND run the bec

I just got aggravated when people started to say that the total amperage wouldn't increase when both where plugged in. When indeed it does.

But simple truth is there is no way to get 7.4 volts to run this TowerHobbies.com | FUTBLS157HV BLS157HV Futaba BLS157HV High Voltage Ultra Torque Servo
without a bec. Again wasn't trying to make a 75 post thread in 20 hours when I started this, lol
Old 09-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: two FX-R's two 3amp BEC's why run an external

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker View Post
But simple truth is there is no way to get 7.4 volts to run this TowerHobbies.com | FUTBLS157HV BLS157HV Futaba BLS157HV High Voltage Ultra Torque Servo
without a BEC. Again wasn't trying to make a 75 post thread in 20 hours when I started this, lol
Run a 2S LiPO (or similar voltage alternative battery chemistries) in the rig and wire the servo power leads to the battery. This bypasses the ESC internal BEC and does not require an external BEC.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #54
Got Worms?

Default Re: two FX-R's two 3amp BEC's why run an external

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Run a 2S LiPO (or similar voltage alternative battery chemistries) in the rig and wire the servo power leads to the battery. This bypasses the ESC internal BEC and does not require an external BEC.
Or tap into the balance plug of a 3s battery (Make sure to balance charge each time though)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #55
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Again wasn't trying to make a 75 post thread in 20 hours when I started this, lol
If you had fun, then RCC wins again.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

yeah that would scare me considering I am running a 480mah battery. I would prolly just add the castle bec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
If you had fun, then RCC wins again.
lol yeah fighting on the internet, I must have no life, lol

no one ever wins, but I feel like I got jumped into a gang or something everyone got a kick in
Old 09-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #57
MODERATOR™

BTW, RCC never loses.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #58
Suck it up!

Quote:
I just got aggravated when people started to say that the total amperage wouldn't increase when both where plugged in. When indeed it does.
IF IF IF IF IF the components are designed to work in unison. I'm sure that out there somewhere there are power supplies that will do such a thing, but in our corner of the world they do not.

Nearly every time I've seen someone hook two of something electronic in nature together to get more power resulted in something going bye-bye in a bad way. Batteries are the exception to that...

Theory vs Reality. The only time theory can win is if it coincides with reality, even then, reality still wins.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #59
Nobody

I've got three Novak Rooster power wires all tied together on a 6x6, powering two servos. They all work great, but only because I yelled at them and they're afraid of me.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #60
Pebble Pounder

Fixed it for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
I am no electrical engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......
Sydwall85 is offline   Reply With Quote

two fxr's two 3amp bec's why run an external - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Bec's in a week Rootar Electronics 6 01-09-2011 02:19 PM
How many CC bec's to run ? slashbasher Electronics 3 08-20-2009 12:08 AM
2 CC BEC's or just 1 ?????????????? slashbasher Electronics 1 08-14-2009 04:54 PM