Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba Max Pro Weird Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Mamba Max Pro Weird Issue

Guys,

I've been running a BrushlessHobbies 120a Pro for a while now and just picked up a MMP. To test the MMP out I stuck it in one of my other cars with a sensorless motor. Here's what happens:

1. You apply 1/8 throttle and it starts to take off
2. Holding at 1/8 throttle it goes along fine for a little then all of a sudden increases speed like I punched it (but I didn't)
3. If I punch it a little to get the car rolling I can then slow back down to 1/8 throttle and it doesn't increase speed.

It's almost like the ESC is trying to get the motor rolling then changes modes or something. I can't remember if it's in smart sense mode or not, but I don't think that should have any affect on a sensorless motor.

This is similar to what my old Sidewinder SCT did in my Stampede 4x4 I had. You'd basically have to goose it to get the truck rolling and then could slow down. If you tried to increase speed slowly it would bump up in speed unexpectedly as something was going on in the ESC.

It's been a long time since I ran a Castle ESC brushless so wanted to see if this was normal or if I have a bum ESC.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mamba Max Pro Weird Issue

Did you calibrate the ESC to the RX?

After that, I have not run a CC ESC as brushless.

Do you have a CC link to check settings?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Sounds to me like the settings need to be adjusted.
My MMP did the same thing in my short course truck. Ran a sensorless motor and had to limit the on power big time, or I would spin the tires like crazy on a loose dirt track. It meant when I had LOTS of traction I had to bump the start power back up, so it didn't jump like you talk about.
If you don't have a castle-link, pick up one and check the settings. Sounds like it has been turned way down.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Holy crap man. This is the exact problem I'm having (MMP, Pro4/3300 14/56, 3S 6000mah). I was on the phone for an hour this AM with CC. Dan was wonderful and we went through everything you could imagine (different battery, different radio, different receiver, new firmware, new software, throttle curves, 2s vs 3s, sensored vs smartsense etc) and nothing worked. He was genuinely perplexed. All I can do now is buy another one and send this one in and hope that's the case. I'd love to hear any suggestions that I've not mentioned here.

Stumped.

PS, it worked perfectly fine the first test for about 15 minutes...the next day...the problem was there.
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I have a castle links so I'll plug it in and check it out again. I did program it the first time with the laptop and then calibrated it for that radio.

It's the strangest thing, it's almost like the ESC is waiting for the motor to get spinning and then it applies more power. If I goose it and go about half speed then I can slow down as slow as I want, if I try to slowly speed up from a stop it's slow then hits the power. I'll try to make a video of what's happening.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Suck it up!

Pull that junk MMP out and put the BH back in. Problem solved.

Sounds like punch control maybe? Does the MMP even have that? Its been a while since I've used brushless with a Castle...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
RCC Addict

You know Duuuuuude, the funny thing is I like the BH ESC better now that I've run it. Still having issues with the LVC kicking in randomly but that's a different story.

I actually bought the MMP as a backup and needed to test it out before I ran out of time to RMA it if it were bad.

Anyway, I'll mess around more with it and hook up the laptop and program it. I'm on kid duty all week because my wife is traveling for business so I'm pretty sure there won't be much time to get any quality video or programming done.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
You know Duuuuuude, the funny thing is I like the BH ESC better now that I've run it. Still having issues with the LVC kicking in randomly but that's a different story.

I actually bought the MMP as a backup and needed to test it out before I ran out of time to RMA it if it were bad.

Anyway, I'll mess around more with it and hook up the laptop and program it. I'm on kid duty all week because my wife is traveling for business so I'm pretty sure there won't be much time to get any quality video or programming done.
Not really all that funny, you aren't the first to prefer the BH over the MMP. Just kinda sucky that they won't run brushed.

Keep us posted on what you find...
Old 10-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I've noticed that same issue when running 2 different mmp's with sensorless motors in a go fast application, one motor was a cc1415 lol. Currently running one of those mmp's in sensored only mode with no timing on a pro4 and haven't noticed the issue.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I too am having better luck with my BH 120 amp with a Pro 4 on 3s than I did with the MM Pro and the pro 4.

If BH would make a brushed version that is similarly priced to their 120 amp model they would literally sell tons of them. I'd take two please.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
If BH would make a brushed version that is similarly priced to their 120 amp model they would literally sell tons of them. I'd take two please.
Send 'em an email, let 'em know!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

Send 'em an email, let 'em know!
Done.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

E-mail sent.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #14
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Default Mamba Max Pro Weird Issue...solved!

Hey gents,

I figured out the source of the problem with my MMP...a bad sensor wire connector prevented the wire from seating completely in the ESC. Replaced the wire and it works like a charm.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
RCC Addict

For sensored that makes sense. My guess is that's just how it runs (the weird stuff I'm mentioning above) for sensorless.

Should have time tomorrow night to play around some more. My tests have it connected to a 3900kv Tacon motor (540 sized) which is smooth as silk with BH esc. With the MMP it's not smooth at all.

Mamba Max Pro Weird Issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mamba Max Pro - vs - Mamba Max Pro SCT rctoyguy Electronics 1 06-08-2012 06:19 PM
Mamba Max 4 Cell Issue constantmotion Electronics 21 02-01-2011 04:44 PM
Mamba Max issue/question James003 Electronics 9 11-14-2010 08:42 PM
help! mamba max issue Mac10 Electronics 4 01-11-2008 07:50 AM
mamba max issue rockwerks Electronics 14 07-11-2007 07:34 AM