Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: GT3C Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default GT3C Power Switch Mod

It isn't really new news but my gt3c's power switch failed. When it failed the first time it was only the third time to use it. And mine had the wire guides already removed.

I ended up soldering the red wire back on and using some heat shrink to keep it from rubbing. This fix lasted me a couple test runs and the Crawlapalooza comp (8 courses total with my sporty and pro). When I got back form the comp I tore it down again and just ended up soldering the two wires together so when I want to use it I just pop the battery in. Since this isn't the most ideal way to turn on and off my transmitter i'm going to get a small toggle switch and put it in a place where the wires will stay put. I'll post pictures of it when I get it done.

Last edited by WooPigSooie; 11-23-2012 at 08:37 PM.
WooPigSooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: GT3C Problem

Sucks you've had this issue multiple times.

Sounds like a small toggle switch is the way to go. I'm looking to get a GT3C at some point and these early issues lets me fix them up front.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Sucks you've had this issue multiple times.

Sounds like a small toggle switch is the way to go. I'm looking to get a GT3C at some point and these early issues lets me fix them up front.
Normally I would be really pissed off and try to send it back but I just absolutely love this thing (except for the damn orange). I picked up this toggle switch today.

I'll put it on this evening.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Defy Gravity

the power switch on mine had a failure pretty early too. the main thing here is the switch being in the wheel. to me, it lends itself to a shorter life of the switch, eventually the wires will fail in that moving assembly. i soldered my switch back on, then a dab of hot glue to secure both of the wires better than they were. since then i have not had an issue with the switch or any other part of the radio. i've thought about moving the switch as well, or just soldering it permanently on since i always drop the battery out when i'm not using it.

hope this helps,

Pete
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I got the switch on and completely out of the way.

I'm not sure this location for the switch will be any better but time will tell. I could have made a long extension for the wires and moved it just about any where but wanted to try it where I wanted it first.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nice looking install, looks protected where you put it. Thanks for the pictures.

As to the GT3C, I've been looking, maybe a different color (there are 3 I believe if you look on Ebay..sorry LosiKid....) but just haven't ordered yet.
My son wants to try one of these, so for the price I figured I'd do a GT3C and let him use the GT3B.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks man! What's the third color? I knew they had silver and orange.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks for posting this. Mine just broke after ~1.5 hrs of use. The wire broke not the solder. Had they use "noodle" wires, I thing it would hold fine but they cheaped out. I did the exact same mod as you. Except I made a couple of mistakes on position and had to drill a 2nd hole. In addition, the pins on the bottom of the PCB are too long and causing a short on the switch it self so when it is all closed up, it auto turns on Took a long time to figure that out and now it is all good. I like the position, it is hidden and the switch has good tension so it is not easily triggered one way or another.

Thanks again
dirtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooPigSooie View Post
Thanks man! What's the third color? I knew they had silver and orange.
Sorry I missed this. It's a "gunmetal gray".

Orange is definitely the most common color, silver you can find, the gunmetal is on a couple Ebay sites. The silver & gunmetal tend to cost a bit more though.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtslow View Post
Thanks for posting this. Mine just broke after ~1.5 hrs of use. The wire broke not the solder. Had they use "noodle" wires, I thing it would hold fine but they cheaped out. I did the exact same mod as you. Except I made a couple of mistakes on position and had to drill a 2nd hole. In addition, the pins on the bottom of the PCB are too long and causing a short on the switch it self so when it is all closed up, it auto turns on Took a long time to figure that out and now it is all good. I like the position, it is hidden and the switch has good tension so it is not easily triggered one way or another.

Thanks again
Glad it worked for you! I really like the switch position too because it has yet to be in my way.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Sorry I missed this. It's a "gunmetal gray".

Orange is definitely the most common color, silver you can find, the gunmetal is on a couple Ebay sites. The silver & gunmetal tend to cost a bit more though.
I wish I could have picked up the gun metal!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I have never seen a gun metal -- even on the bay. The orange is growing on me though... I am glad it is not "shiny" orange.
dirtslow is offline   Reply With Quote

GT3C Problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flysky GT3C: First Look losikid Electronics 104 12-22-2013 12:25 PM
gt3c randomly turning off m1009cucv Electronics 5 09-24-2012 06:48 AM
GT3C Pre-order losikid Electronics 23 08-20-2012 09:07 PM
Gt3c power glitch joss097 Electronics 4 08-08-2012 10:14 PM