Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Best servo for the money

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Best servo for the money

Hey everyone I'm sure this has been talked about but I searched a couple of times and didn't find what I was looking for. I'm looking to get a new servo and was wondering what people are using. I've only used hitec and jr racing. And was looking for pros and cons of using another brand. Thanks for you input
laxjj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Best servo for the money

if you have a tight budget look into these. great servos especially when run on 7.4v
case is made from plastic and aluminum.
uses 23t servo horn.
Solar Servo D772 High Voltage 0.17sec@7.4v 64g Digital Metal Gear
discgolferlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
if you have a tight budget look into these. great servos especially when run on 7.4v
case is made from plastic and aluminum.
uses 23t servo horn.
Solar Servo D772 High Voltage 0.17sec@7.4v 64g Digital Metal Gear
Do you run one of these? As mine gets REALLY warm quick and feels like 200ish oz on 2s
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Do you run one of these? As mine gets REALLY warm quick and feels like 200ish oz on 2s
on my scaler. doesn't seem to get any hotter than normal. i think the specs are a bit over rated but still works pretty good for less than 20 bucks.

i used to run a
Savox SC-0251

Savox SC-0251 "Larger Standard" Digital High Torque Metal Gear Servo [SAV-SC-0251MG] | Radios & Accessories - A Main Hobbies

in my other scaler before i sold it. not too bad of a servo either but it is a bit taller than standard so can be a tight fit.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Best servo for What?

What vehicle, what speed, and your driving tendencies are going to dictate what you need for a servo.

I'm having really good luck with my Savox 1268 in my 1.9" SCX running straight off of 2s lipo. I took it apart when brand new to fill with dielectric on the board side, and Lucas red and tacky on the gear side. Been working like a champ for over a year now with lots of submerged ussage. Never seems to stall, never looses it's line, and never gets hot, only warm during extended abusive crawling. Output shaft is still tight, even after over 50 hours of use.

I've killed 3 Hitec 7954's in my Wraith with Pro4 power. I have two others still working just dandy in 2.2 BTA slow-speed crawler setups. The two that are setup with the horn and servo protected still have tight output shafts. One of them is two years old now, the other just a month or so. Even running 2.2 Rovers the steering is very fast and precise.

I learned early on that the Hitec 7954's don't like taking direct hits to the output shaft/servo horn. Kills the output bearings quickly, then the steel gears aren't far behind. Hitec wants over half the price of the servo for gears and bearings! I also discovered that the entire 79** series of servo's all have a MK (metal karvonite I think) gear right off of the motor pinion. It's half plastic.

Whatever you do, don't cheap out. All the over-rated $20 servos do is waste your money and time. Spend the $100 up front on a quality high voltage rated, steel or Titanium geared, coreless or brushless motor, and you'll be grateful in the long run.

If you can afford it, the brushless Futaba's are probably the BEST, and they better be at $200.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I run 2 Jr 8711, 403oz.a hobbico/hitec cs-170 in my scaler, ti gears,333oz,its been beat an abused for over a year an I bought it used. A 7980, 2x 7950.. no issues in anyway from Hitec!
Had a friend go thru a savox, Spektrum, a Jr, an a 7954.. got another 7954 an won't change..

The mk gear is a safety point between ur motor an to gears, I haven had one fail but replaced one for a friend, once.. it was like 5$ for 3 of them... That was in a 546 if I remember correctly. All in all a cheap safety point..
There is a servo poll on here, maybe search , poll... It wasn't long ago.

What are you running it in?
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I run solar servos on all my rigs and love em! I've abused the heck of em and they hold up. I haven't noticed then getting anything more than barely warm. Can't beat a 400oz servo for $45($20 for the servo and $25 for BEC)
R|M|D Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I couldn't have said it any better meatmonkey. Just like everything in this hobby from your basic hex wrenches, glues, greases, oils, necessary upgrade parts, and most importantly your radio system you always get what you pay for. There is a reason why certain servos/radios/electronics cost so much.

Would you buy something just so you have to replace it again after a few runs because it fails on you? Or worse ruins your day trailing or comping since you don't have a back up ready? My advice just like meatmonkey said....whatever you do, don't cheap out.

Another way of looking at it is Hitec and Futaba both have excellent customer service if your equipment fails or breaks....most of the time even a little bit past their warranty date they do the repair or replacement free of charge if you are polite and courteous. Above that if you have great electronics you can always resell them easier than if you had a no name knock off servo...i.e. f'in
Tower Pro MG995 or any of them for that matter. You couldn't pay me to run that POS in any of my rigs.'

Review: Towerpro/Hextronic MG995 servo
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Sorry I should have mentioned its for my 2.2 bully crawler that weights right around 5 pounds its used only as a crawler
Old 11-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I was wondering about this because I read on here somewhere that hitec servos get worn out fast and the ones I have had for almost 5 years but they weren't used for a couple years. My jr z9000t just stopped working right as soon as it gets a load on it and it tries to turn it makes a grinding noise and even trying it without the case on I can see its popping the small gear on the bottom off of the pin hole and I've tried 3 different gears in it and it keeps doing it. I've had this servo for over 5 years so I think it's time for something new . I even took out the motor out and checked the gear on that and nothing is stripped anywhere. So I'm stumped I have a hitec hs 7954sh that I got from a member on here I'm just waiting for hitec to send me the big two piece gear that wasn't holding together. I'm really just looking for a nice back up servo. I was thinking the savox 1230sg I think it is that is $75 and has 500 oz of torque. Thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I just bought 2 savox 1283sg servo's. As others have said, spend the cash because the cheap one that sounds great is just going to make you mad. I learned the hard way and have a pile of junk servo's sitting on my work bench as a reminder..lol Is anyone running the savox 1283sg? I keep breaking servo cases so Im going with the aluminum case. I think it happends when I roll of big rocks and land funny. lol
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

let me clarify my early post.
I was not suggesting him to buy cheap crappy stuff. I was merely suggesting if he was on a tight budget that it is a good buy. not all the cheaper stuff is garbage. I run all savox servos in my race vehicles but we don't all have huge budget and I was under impression his may be small based on the post title. but I will say the solar d772 is a pretty decent servo. sure it may not last as long or have as much torque as some of the more expensive models but when you consider you can buy 4-5 for the price of some of them it's not a bad deal. especially if you are risking getting it wet. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a nice pricey servo for a comp rig but for scalers in which you are thinking of hitting water then I would recommend cheaper solutions which don't cost a fortune to replace. just my 2 cents. You would be surprised how small the circle or group of factories are in china that make 99% of these electronics for our toys. also surprised at how similar or the same SOME (not all) of these components are inside. some are built with more or less tolerances and may have slightly different components inside. I am not saying that their is no junk out there. THEIR IS DEFINITELY JUNK OUT THERE. but to lump all components that are not really expensive into that category is ridiculous. Larger companies do have higher mark up to make up for larger staff, advertising, sponsorship costs and more. I use items from all over the price spectrum so don't think I only use cheaper priced things.

just some food for thought

Last edited by discgolferlee; 11-28-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I would have to say you are probly right. not all the cheep stuff is junk, but i have to say also that all the cheeper stuff I have bought has been junk. I could just have really bad luck with servo's...lol
buggynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I too would agree they're not all junk but it's also about application and preparedness.

For instance I've had decent luck with tower pro servos. 3 out of the 12 I've bought over the years are officially dead. After the pots or boards go they go to winch duties, takes a lot for the motors and gear sets to go imo. Although admittedly they aren't the strongest or fastest even at 7v. My kid has one in his rig that just won't die, quite impressive actually.

And recently installed a savox 1283sg but it doesn't seem as strong as a bluebird bms35a which is about half the price. Probably attributed to the voltage difference mostly. A bms35a that got kicked down to winch duty will rip bobbins in half at 7.4v, with an esc as a winch controller though.

All of my servos get opened up out of the box for grease in the gear sets and liquid tape with silicone grease to the pots and boards. All scaler use.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Sooo....a $140 futaba/savox/hitec may last twice as long as my $17 Solar?

I'm no mathmetician but it seems the odds are in favor of the solar when it comes to bang for the buck. Especially if its a servo you plan to abuse as in a scaler situation(waterproofing it).
R|M|D Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R|M|D Photography View Post
Sooo....a $140 futaba/savox/hitec may last twice as long as my $17 Solar?

I'm no mathmetician but it seems the odds are in favor of the solar when it comes to bang for the buck. Especially if its a servo you plan to abuse as in a scaler situation(waterproofing it).
Ok Ill throw some more experience on the fire. I personally bought 3 Solar servos for scale use in my 2 SCX10 and Wraith. Even though it says it can handle 7.4 doesnt mean it will or for long. I fried one in the Wraith hooked up to CC BEC @7.4 not even actually running just hooked up testing before run. 1 is still running good @6.0 and the other has become a little tempermental. But i can say bang for buck it seems good.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
Ok Ill throw some more experience on the fire. I personally bought 3 Solar servos for scale use in my 2 SCX10 and Wraith. Even though it says it can handle 7.4 down mean it will or for long. I fried one in the Wraith hooked up to CC BEC @7.4 not even actually running just hooked up testing before run. 1 is still running goose @6.0 and the other has become a little tempermental. But i can say bang for buck it seems good.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
x2, i had 3, one burnt up on a fully charged lipo when i was torque testing it (stalling it out on a fishing scale), it burnt up after afew stalls, the 7.4, kinda works, but its not great at centering after abusing ti a little. I have the other on 6 volts, and it seems to work fine, but i've never really put it to use.

They're a fine servo for a light scaler or a 1.9...but they are kinda gutless. When you first start running they work fairly nice, but if you work them at all they loose their breath and you gotta stop and let them cool down and catch their breath before they can produce any torque again.

My servos are from the first intial batch that hobbypartz had, quality have have changed over time, but that's my experience with the,
Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

i run 2 solars off the 2s lipo that powers the trucks. one is a year old and still works fine. its out lasted 2 hitec 645's.the other is in my xr10 and its not up to speed for real crawling. i wouldnt suggest it for what you need
3rd one is in my scx10 at 7.4v. all of em get hot,there ok servos for trail trucks, but if you can spend some cash on a good on,get something better
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I also recommend Savox SA-1283SG. Don't be fooled by titanium gear or steel gear they are both alloys in servos. Sure it makes you feel better, and I'm sure the titanium gear servos are slightly a bit stronger and less heavier than their steel gear counterparts which I suppose would make them maybe 0.01 sec faster, but at the end of the day titanium or steel geared servos are what you should be looking at for any application.

I personally run nothing but Hitec servos from their 645MG all the way up to their 7950TH not because they are better or worse but simply because I love their customer service. They have sent me a free servo and did free repair out of warranty for a 5645MG and another was a 7955TG. This was not because of their quality by any means. The 7955TG motor had seized up and they sent me a free one...back and running in about a week and a half. The 5645MG broke a few gear teeth so free repair but it was out of warranty already by over 2 months!

After my buddy shown me the Savox SA-1283SG on his Wraith I was stunned at how fast it was and the torque for the price!! Plus on top of that the entire servo case is aluminum which is great for heat dissipation. I am running a 7950TH on 7.4V as well on my Wraith with no complaints however....well besides the price tag lol.

Savox SA-1283SG Aluminum Case Digital "Super Torque" Steel Gear Servo [SAV-SA-1283SG] | Radios & Accessories - A Main Hobbies
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #20
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
I also recommend Savox SA-1283SG.
Do you know if that servo will be friendly with 2s?

Best servo for the money - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler Innovations Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount GIVEAWAY!!! Nova's Ark General Crawlers 219 10-18-2010 12:43 PM
new money? funny money robbio4422 Chit Chat 13 09-19-2010 05:30 PM
what the best big servo for the money klaygrover Electronics 15 08-30-2009 11:47 AM
Best Servo, Torque for the money lifttec999 Newbie General 52 08-28-2008 05:09 PM