Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dx3r / Gt3b help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Lightbulb Dx3r / Gt3b help

so i have a couple hacked 3gtb with 6.1 firmware which turned my dx3r and iwannasummit dig combo useless, and i also have a twin motor boat that i wanted to make faster without spending too much, and i thought the wannasummit dig could be used to mix ch1 and ch2 for turning left or right on the boat with 2 separate escīs (i was thinking 2 mamba 25 or sidewinder so i can use 3s lipo), hopefully someone can chip in on this (calling losikid), i am also pretty sure that i can be done with the Gt3b, but i want to use the spektrum radio and dig, lmk your ideas
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dx3r / Gt3b help

I built up just the thing you are talking about (I think). Have a look at the video I made and see if you think it will do what you want.
Channel Mixer - YouTube
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

looks like that could work also, i want to be able to drive the boat with the pistol grip radio, like you a car, steering input to either side would decrease input to the motor side, proportionally to the input of the wheel and throttle, and this would make the boat turn, throttle only in forward or reverse inputs equal throttle to both motors/props, as soon as you start turning the steering wheel it would start to cut throttle to the side motor you are turning the wheel to, thus causing the boat to turn, i think the wannasummit could mix channel 1 and 2? is this possible?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I can't really comment on the wannasummit controller.

My controller does what you want - if you are using forward only speed controls.
I also intend to build a similar unit but meant to work with instant reversing ESCs so that you could steer a tank type vehicle or a boat.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have a WantAmix on a Futaba 3PM-x, it works well for dig front/rear as well as proportional front/rear on dual ESC's.

For what you want, I can't say it will do everything you want.
Maybe LosiKid can answer.....while it's a great unit, it may not be able to do everything you are looking for.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
I built up just the thing you are talking about (I think). Have a look at the video I made and see if you think it will do what you want.
Channel Mixer - YouTube
Your video really confused me as to what is happening...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
looks like that could work also, i want to be able to drive the boat with the pistol grip radio, like you a car, steering input to either side would decrease input to the motor side, proportionally to the input of the wheel and throttle, and this would make the boat turn, throttle only in forward or reverse inputs equal throttle to both motors/props, as soon as you start turning the steering wheel it would start to cut throttle to the side motor you are turning the wheel to, thus causing the boat to turn, i think the wannasummit could mix channel 1 and 2? is this possible?
As long as you aren't expecting one motor to go into reverse if you turn sharp, yea it'll work...

BUT, the GT3b/C does this with no issues as well, its a built in function
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Defy Gravity

on the tank, i got it so one motor would reverse turning the wheel. setup the dig so channel 2 is the master and channel 1 is the slave, the mix percentage i can't remember and probably wouldn't even apply since i made servo boards into controllers. except for the trimming on the fly and reversal as well, works like a charm.
ghtpdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtpdm5 View Post
on the tank, i got it so one motor would reverse turning the wheel. setup the dig so channel 2 is the master and channel 1 is the slave, the mix percentage i can't remember and probably wouldn't even apply since i made servo boards into controllers. except for the trimming on the fly and reversal as well, works like a charm.
We're talking about a dx3r with a wantamix...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Your video really confused me as to what is happening...
That's why I included text along with the video.
What part is confusing?

Quote:
As long as you aren't expecting one motor to go into reverse if you turn sharp, yea it'll work...

That's cool, but not everyone has a GT3b/C
Old 01-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Gotcha, i don't need the motors to go into reverse, unless that's what the boat used to do in the first place when turning sharp, i am pretty sure it only slowed the motor down or stopped it, i was pretty sure the gt3b could achieve this also, but since i have the wannasummit and nothing else to use it on....
Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
Got Worms?

Quote:
That's why I included text along with the video.
What part is confusing?
Everything...i can't think of what it be used for

Quote:
That's cool, but not everyone has a GT3b/C
In the first post, he states he has a gt3b and a dx3r and wantamix. I told him that the dx3r and wantamix will work and then that the gt3b/c has this as a built in feature. We aren't talking about everyone, we are talking about his current situation.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Everything...i can't think of what it be used for

In the first post, he states he has a gt3b and a dx3r and wantamix. I told him that the dx3r and wantamix will work and then that the gt3b/c has this as a built in feature. We aren't talking about everyone, we are talking about his current situation.
The second sentence of the description:
Quote:
This circuit will create two throttle signals that are mixed with steering. The idea is that it will be used with a boat with two props. To aid steering, the prop on the side that is being steered towards will be slowed.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

ok guys, thanks for all the input, you have all been very helpful, i wiil try it this weekend, and if the dx3r/dig fails, i still have both my gt3b
Old 01-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
Got Worms?

Quote:
The second sentence of the description:
Have you tested it? I think it'll give less than optimal results...turning the steering wheel should only decrease the throttle given to one side or the other...not inject extra throttle to one side or the other.

I'm not saying it won't work...
Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Have you tested it? I think it'll give less than optimal results...turning the steering wheel should only decrease the throttle given to one side or the other...not inject extra throttle to one side or the other.

I'm not saying it won't work...
Well, the guy I built it for sunk his boat the day before I gave it to him, so, no, hasn't been tested.

It doesn't add throttle, it only slows the ESC that feeds the motor you are turning towards

Quote:
To aid steering, the prop on the side that is being steered towards will be slowed.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
Got Worms?

Quote:
It doesn't add throttle, it only slows the ESC that feeds the motor you are turning towards
Not according to your video...for instance, 0:10 to 0:15...only the steering wheel is moving but the servo's are moving. There should be no movment, imho
Old 01-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

From 0:10 to 0:15 I have the throttle set to approx 1/2 (remember, the servos represent forward only ESCs). Turning the steering slows the ESC on the side of the boat in the direction being turned.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

so i bench tested the dig with the dx3r, and it seems it will work, i am not really sure as to what percentage i need to do, as it sits at 0%, it will slow the motor down but only up until 20% of the steering wheel travel, then it just cuts out, if i add more mix, i think i can have more proportional control on the motors, what do you guys think? or do i have to play with the dig trims?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #19
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
so i bench tested the dig with the dx3r, and it seems it will work, i am not really sure as to what percentage i need to do, as it sits at 0%, it will slow the motor down but only up until 20% of the steering wheel travel, then it just cuts out, if i add more mix, i think i can have more proportional control on the motors, what do you guys think? or do i have to play with the dig trims?
Turn the wheel full right, adjust the green led pot, so it just barely comes on...then turn the wheel full left and make sure the green led is lit, if its not, slightly adjust the pot so it is

Then with the steering and throttle at neutral, adjust the pots so the yellow and red led light up.

This will setup your wantamix...
Old 01-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

thanks kid; you the man

Dx3r / Gt3b help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fs-gt3b 74SHY Electronics 5 05-04-2012 06:20 PM
Fs-gt3b? BrianP Electronics 25 11-05-2011 08:30 PM
Do you have a GT3B? losikid Electronics 36 06-18-2011 02:30 PM