Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: VXL Motor Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default VXL Motor Questions

First off, this will be going in a Kyosho Lazer ZX5 4x4 race buggy. It'll rarely see water (if EVER... probably never); I clean my cars after every run... I will not be racing with this. It will purely be a basher.

I'm working to put electronics into my buggy to get it going. I'll be running a Sidewinder SV2 ESC with a Velineon 3500 motor. My first question is about the "cover" on the back of the motor (that covers the board and wires). Can I run without this cover? I believe it's Novak that has an exposed board on their brushless motors, just didn't know if it's the same...

Here's a pic of what I mean by "board". I don't have the "cover" on in this photo

Contrary to popular suggestion(s), I want to hard-wire my motor and ESC. I just like the look a bit more, and I don't change motors or speed controls enough to be worried about soldering/unsoldering my stuff. Is there anything wrong with hard-wiring my system?

My last question is about how the motor leads attatch to the motor. I would like to simply not use the motor leads that Traxxas supplied at all. I would just use the leads coming from the ESC, and solder them directly to the motor (see anything wrong with running like that?) Also, would it make a difference as to what side of the PCB board the wires are coming from? I'd like to turn them around if possible

ANY and ALL help will be GREATLY appreciated! Brushless systems aren't my specialty...

Thanks in advance!
-Greg
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: VXL Motor Questions

All that you've asked should be no problem at all. the cover is just a cover, As long as wires ABC are stilll ABC you can solder them anywhere. the less wire and connections means less crap for the power to flow through.
MotoMudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yes to everything basically. With unsensored the "b" wire is the only one that really matters, then "a" & "c" can be interchanged for rotation choice. I ran the vxl3500 without a cover also without issue
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I ran my vxl in my wraith for about a year without the cover. In mud and water. It still runs fine. I did take an old shock bladder and glued it over the bearing in the back to help keep mud/water out.
Goatsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Thanks guys! Those were the answers I was hoping for

Now it's time to crack a cold one and fire up the soldering iron!
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote

VXL Motor Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sidewinder esc and 5700 motor or Traxxas vxl 3s esc with brushless motor? THE CRAWLER KING Newbie General 6 08-22-2010 07:10 AM