Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ae-2 esc not liking my lipo.. why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question ae-2 esc not liking my lipo.. why?

i have had this esc with no problems since april of last year, ive just been running nimh batterys but i recenly made the switch to lipo. ive got a Gens Ace 2cell 5000mah 40c 7.2v lipo battery.. running stock axial ae-2 esc, no name 55t motor with 20/87 gearing

heres what i did, charged up my lipo pugged it in, truck ran great for about 5 min of slow trailing with the occasional wide open to see if theres a difference in speed, then i had a small glitch and loss of throttle, still had steering tho. so i turned the truck off, turned it back on, and it only drove for 30 seconds.. theres no over heating issues what so ever so i know im not hitting thermal shut off.

once i plug in a nimh battery truck runs absolutely fine.. whats going on? do i have to program my esc so it knows im running lipo? aka turning the low voltage cut off ON or something?..
DJ1522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: ae-2 esc not liking my lipo.. why?

Yes you have to turn the low voltage cutoff on! Otherwise you could fry the esc, did you even search before posting this? Also did you balance charge it?
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Yes you have to turn the low voltage cutoff on! Otherwise you could fry the esc, did you even search before posting this? Also did you balance charge it?

yes i searched, trust me i wont make a post unless ive searched and found nothing, came up with a lot of ppl using them with lipos, but not about having problems...

ya i balanced it everything is equal i have a buddy that runs only lipo he knows what to do, but knows nothing about the ae-2..

So how do i turn it on??
Old 01-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1522 View Post
yes i searched, trust me i wont make a post unless ive searched and found nothing, came up with a lot of ppl using them with lipos, but not about having problems...

ya i balanced it everything is equal i have a buddy that runs only lipo he knows what to do, but knows nothing about the ae-2..

So how do i turn it on??
Do you have castle link?
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

no but i know somebody with a field link, im hitting him up right after this

suggestions as to what id set my cut off to?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

a cutoff being off should have nothing to do with a 5000mah battery not working after 5 minutes..

If the cutoff is not turned on you can run that battery until its dead(this is not good but possible)..

if the cutoff is on then it will shut off at low voltage which yours sounds like it did..

Are you sure the pack was charged??
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i agree. if the lipo cutoff is turned off, it will run fine but will overdischarge the battery and kill the lipo. my guess is one of two things, either the battery was not charged, or the battery was run with no cutoff, was killed, and now won't hold charge.
hoghead5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
i agree. if the lipo cutoff is turned off, it will run fine but will overdischarge the battery and kill the lipo. my guess is one of two things, either the battery was not charged, or the battery was run with no cutoff, was killed, and now won't hold charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
a cutoff being off should have nothing to do with a 5000mah battery not working after 5 minutes..

If the cutoff is not turned on you can run that battery until its dead(this is not good but possible)..

if the cutoff is on then it will shut off at low voltage which yours sounds like it did..

Are you sure the pack was charged??
if the battery wasnt charged which it is, i wouldnt have strong steering, but i do, just loss of throttle.. well see what happens tomorrow after we plug into a field link.. still i need a cut off rate, what should i set it to?

Last edited by DJ1522; 01-13-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Were there any blinking lights on the ESC or did the RX light go dim? What kind of servo is in it and what kind of rig is this? Tire/wheel size?

Sounds like you need a BEC.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:19 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

DJ, your electronics don't care what battery chemistry provides the voltage, only how much voltage is provided.
The only thing you really need to do when converting to LiPO is make sure you don't over-discharge the packs. This usually means turning on/setting up the LVC if your ESC has one.

Because of all this, what you describe sounds like a battery issue, maybe you can try your pack in your friends rig. The other option is to check each cell voltage when the rig dies/glitches.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Most AE-2 esc have the auto lipo option on from the factory but checking it never hurts. Also i dont think it has a option for voltage seting on the cutoff i think its either on or off doesnt let you pick the voltage it cuts off i think it is set at 4v because most new chargers can not bring back a lipo below 3v i know some of the old old chargers can but none of the newer ones.
2006Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

thanks guys im thinking there may have been a short in a wire, cut and re soldered, tomorrow ill be hooking it up to a field link to see what else we can do about it. ill post my results after a test run tomorrow

2006shelby**Thank You thats exactly what i needed to know
Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #13

Glad I searched.. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!
Sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Typically Castle ESC's are set to 3v per cell cutoff...Since the AE-2 is made by them I would assume that it is probably 3v. If it was set at 4v then you would get hardly any run time since fully charged lipo cells are only 4.2v.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

thank u guys lots of good info
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote

ae-2 esc not liking my lipo.. why? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did my esc take out my lipo or lipo took out the esc? thomanator Electronics 2 07-14-2011 11:33 AM
Liking my new motor/esc combo scott711 Electronics 3 03-17-2011 06:56 AM
Liking my little creeper more and more. "N8" Venom Creeper 1 02-14-2010 11:01 AM
ESC vs Lipo Didier Electronics 6 12-16-2009 11:54 PM
So how's everyone liking the new XTM crawler? bullet1231 XTM Crawler 19 12-18-2008 09:06 AM