Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone use dielectric grease?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Anyone use dielectric grease?

Do any of u guys use this stuff in battery connections or even for servo extendeders where the connection is in the open. Will it restrict the power from battery
bigred22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Anyone use dielectric grease?

Why put it on battery connectors? I would not worry about them corroding at all. Dielectric grease will not hurt electronics, but it is not conductive either. If you put this in connectors they may not contact very well, they will be slippery and messy, and they will collect dirt. Probably won't actually do anything as it may just push out of the way but it is not needed anyways. Dielectric grease would be acceptable on something such as packing inside your servo case so water doesn't get in there. I wouldn't even use it inside the ESC case as there are better more permanant alternatives such as plasti-dip or epoxy. For stuff like servo extensions if your that worried about them just cut the connectors and solder/heat shrink the wires together, or leave them as is. Even running in water and snow for a couple years I have not seen any negative effects on any of my connectors. If your in a salty environment consider soldering as much as possible, and if your battery connectors do corrode it will take some time and replacing them would not be a big deal to do every few years.
makaveliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I used it in my bullet connectors from my motor to ESC and then shrink wrapped the outside because I was getting a lot if water in them. Has worked fine so far.
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveliks View Post
Why put it on battery connectors? I would not worry about them corroding at all. Dielectric grease will not hurt electronics, but it is not conductive either. If you put this in connectors they may not contact very well, they will be slippery and messy, and they will collect dirt. Probably won't actually do anything as it may just push out of the way but it is not needed anyways. Dielectric grease would be acceptable on something such as packing inside your servo case so water doesn't get in there. I wouldn't even use it inside the ESC case as there are better more permanant alternatives such as plasti-dip or epoxy. For stuff like servo extensions if your that worried about them just cut the connectors and solder/heat shrink the wires together, or leave them as is. Even running in water and snow for a couple years I have not seen any negative effects on any of my connectors. If your in a salty environment consider soldering as much as possible, and if your battery connectors do corrode it will take some time and replacing them would not be a big deal to do every few years.
Ya I do hit some salt and my battery connections have started to corrode a little just cuz I gotta use my mouth to blow off moisture I dont have a air compressor so they dont tend to dry off very well
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
RCC Addict

i use it on all my servos and all my deans connectors . keeps the water out of the deans and its not a slippery mess nor does it cut down on electrical flow or collect dirt. been doing it this way for 2 years, infact it lets the deans connect easier, just dont over do it on the grease. stay away from plasti dip , that crap IS a mess to work with there are better products to use

Last edited by crawlhog; 02-21-2013 at 11:16 AM.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

My 1st water proofing I used dielectric grease on everything .receiver, esc, servo, if its electronic it works .still holding up just fine ..
Took everything apart and loaded and coated all with it ..put cases back on ..
Keeps stock clean look ..
Im still trying to find a reason not to use it..

corrosion x or epoxy would be my 2nd choice but dielectric grease is cheaper and eazy to find local

Last edited by bronc4now; 02-21-2013 at 11:55 AM.
bronc4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys now r u guys putting the grease in the gear section of the servo or where the motor and circuit board is
Old 02-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #8

i have a friend who uses dielectric grease on his hitecs, and in the instance that the servo takes a dive and needs to be repaired, he simply cleans off the grease with motor spray and sends it into hitec. so thats a bonus.

i used to use it all the time before i switched to conformal coating.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred22 View Post
Thanks guys now r u guys putting the grease in the gear section of the servo or where the motor and circuit board is
i just use it on the gears, and use liquid electrical tape on the board and also on the board of my RX
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
i just use it on the gears, and use liquid electrical tape on the board and also on the board of my RX
Ya I liquid tape all my electronics but im just talking bout deans connections and servo leads
Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

It won't cause any loss of connection, the mechanical forces between the connectors will but through the grease just fine. It could collect dirt and it is possible that this dirt would prevent a good connection, but a quick cleaning would take care of it.

I haven't used it for the battery but it's great on brushless sensored connectors. I put some on all my engine electrical connections on my 1:1 Jeep 15 years ago and never had a problem running the engine in water or pressure washing it, it's great stuff. I also use it on my trailers and block heater connections.
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #12

I am an electronics technician. I use it on everything that is permanent or semi-permanent. It works great for electrical connections but I wouldn't use it on a battery connection that has to be disconnected all the time.
My(2)Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by My(2)Cents View Post
I am an electronics technician. I use it on everything that is permanent or semi-permanent. It works great for electrical connections but I wouldn't use it on a battery connection that has to be disconnected all the time.
It would only be for winter runs cuz of the salt until I can get a small air compressor dont have a good way to dry them off
Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #14

Thumbs up Re: Anyone use dielectric grease?

I also have used it on my sensor leads and servo connections w great luck.
goat3s is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone use dielectric grease? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dielectric grease for waterproofing.. m1009cucv Electronics 25 04-12-2013 12:18 AM
Dielectric Grease??? Evergreen CJ5 Tools, and Procedures 8 11-07-2011 04:56 PM
dielectric grease question.... discgolferlee Electronics 12 01-26-2011 02:29 PM
Dielectric grease..... Krawlin General Crawlers 2 07-24-2007 10:33 PM