Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dual 55t on AE-2 ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #1

Default Dual 55t on AE-2 ESC?

I'm a total noob to RCs, but I am learning. Bare with me.

I'm running a Honcho.

I've searched the forum for more info about this, but from what I understand, if I want to run Dual motors on the stock AE-2 ESC, I need to run dual 40T motors or higher since the ESC has a min of 19T, correct? From my understanding, running dual motors they get recognized at half by the ESC so a 40T would be recognized at 20T, a 55T would be 27.5T, etc.

I already have the Level3 dual motor mount. I was thinking of getting some 55T motors.

Can the AE-2 put out enough juice to handle this without burning up?

Also, would I want to set them up Parallel or Serial? Link

I'm on a budget so I can't fork out the cash for an ESC just yet. I'm hoping I can get the dual setup on the cheap. Since I am new to this I don't want to fork out a lot for nice expensive parts when I will probably end up breaking things.

Any help would be much appreciated. Please take it easy on me!
LordZelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dual 55T on AE-2 ESC?

You should be fine with dual 55T's on that ESC.

Wire them in parallel.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #3

Default Re: Dual 55t on AE-2 ESC?

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
RMK
Quarry Creeper

if you dont mind, i have a question.... why are you wanting to run dual motors? a single 45t of 55t works great in a honcho. your increasing its weight, doubling the torque going through the transmission and cutting your run time.... you have alot higher chance of tearing up your driveshafts and tranny gears with the dual motors. your gonna break more stuff with the twin motors.... Im not trying to lecture, only help....
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
if you dont mind, i have a question.... why are you wanting to run dual motors? a single 45t of 55t works great in a honcho. your increasing its weight, doubling the torque going through the transmission and cutting your run time.... you have alot higher chance of tearing up your driveshafts and tranny gears with the dual motors. your gonna break more stuff with the twin motors.... Im not trying to lecture, only help....
Would a 45t or 55t be able to run 2.2" wheels with added weights without taxing the motor too much? The reason I ask is a friend of mine burned up his 27t with this setup. We were thinking to try dual motors to remedy the problem. Would it be better to go with a 45t or 55t and a smaller pinion gear?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZelo View Post
Would a 45t or 55t be able to run 2.2" wheels with added weights without taxing the motor too much? The reason I ask is a friend of mine burned up his 27t with this setup. We were thinking to try dual motors to remedy the problem. Would it be better to go with a 45t or 55t and a smaller pinion gear?
A 27T may be a "bit hot" in terms of speed for the Honcho. Couple that with possibly being overgeared (too small a spur gear and/or too big a pinion gear) over heats the motor quickly.
If you run the rig and the motor is hot, you have binding or are overgeared.

My son usually runs a decent 35T single motor on 3S LiPO in his scaler with decent speed and no issues.
His wheels are weighted (not home right now, not sure how much weight).
He also had a Venom Creeper with a single 35T on 3S with ~7oz in each front wheel.....no issues.

To me, a "decent motor" is a Holmes Hobbies or Br00d machinewound motor.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZelo View Post
Just as the previous post said, 27t may be too much. plus, if it was the stock motor, then the motor just doesnt have the torque. gearing is also important. The really good motors will spin weighted 2.2's all day long. I ran a novak 35t on 3cell in a weighted wraith. it was just fine. My current rig is an axial rubicon unlimited weighing over 9lbs. im running the factory 27t on 3cell and it doesnt even get hot. the gearing is 14/87.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
A 27T may be a "bit hot" in terms of speed for the Honcho. Couple that with possibly being overgeared (too small a spur gear and/or too big a pinion gear) over heats the motor quickly.
If you run the rig and the motor is hot, you have binding or are overgeared.
I thought i read somewhere that if the motor was getting to hot then you "need" a smaller pinion or a larger spur gear. that was suppose to adjust to final gear ratio to make it easier on the motor
Smithysride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithysride View Post
I thought i read somewhere that if the motor was getting to hot then you "need" a smaller pinion or a larger spur gear. that was suppose to adjust to final gear ratio to make it easier on the motor
That is very true, but, the gear mesh should be checked first. I've seen way too many guys burn up motors because the mesh was too tight.once mesh was corrected, it ran great. If the msg is correct and the motor is getting too hot, then drop pinion sizeor increase spur size or both.

Dual 55t on AE-2 ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba 9CHP setup for dual steering, dual esc duartev Electronics 5 06-07-2009 08:58 AM
Dual 55T??? ElChupacabra Traxxas Crawlers 14 03-11-2008 10:34 PM
Quad Titan or dual Integy 55t? Smib Newbie General 9 02-04-2007 08:52 PM
Dual 55T motors, Novak SR, 14.4 V diagram 4RnrRick Electronics 12 12-24-2004 06:54 PM