Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Power panel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Power panel

I am build a large scale rig and I have been wanting a good way to hide wires and make working on the truck on the trail as easy as possible. I have had rigs in the past with lights and when out on the trail or in a comp and you have a issue that you want to fix quickly you forget about the wires running from the chassis to the body and you whip off the body and damage the wires and or the LED's.

One way I was thinking about resolving this was to make a metal panel that would mount probably on the rocker of both the outer body shell and the interior. The idea is all the wires from the control panel for the lights will mount to the back side of the panel on studs of some sort. The outer shell will have a panel that, when attached to the chassis, will make contact with the other metal plate and allow electricity to flow and run the lights.

This would eliminate the need to unplug anything when you need to take the body off. Any of you electronic gurus out there have any thing to say about this? Will it work? I believe I have seen it on a 1:1 for something.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Y'know, those shiny rare earth (neodymium) magnets conduct electricity pretty well. You could make combination body mounts/electrical contacts.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I thought about magnets but I didn't know how well the conducted electricity. That's a real good idea man thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Power panel

If you don't mind the plugs being on a pig tail I would use an xh connector with the appropriate number of pins. If really want them to be panel mount you could use db9 connectors since they have a flange for mounting. How many wires need to run through the connector?

I'm sure if you look around on digi you can find a panel mount that's smaller than a db9.

digikey.com

Last edited by Calderwood; 07-27-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Power panel

How about using springs as terminals, mount them around body posts to make contact to the shell mounted electrical tabs?

Never tried it but can't see why it wouldn't work?
banners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
I thought about magnets but I didn't know how well the conducted electricity. That's a real good idea man thanks.
Wherever there is a magnetic field, there is also an electric field.

They will do just fine for conducting electricity. Most are coated with nickel which is a good conductor.

Last edited by JeremyH; 07-27-2013 at 07:13 AM.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
RCC Addict

The body I am using is a 1/6 new bright hummer body. It has a full interior including inner wheel wells and engine bay. I'm going to mount in to the chassis with realistic mounts coming off the frame probably 8 of them.

Will each wire need to have its own piece of metal or magnet? Originally I was thing of having one piece of metal that ran the hole length of the rocker and the wires for the head lights, tail lights, aux lights on the bumper and roof rack, and also a ultra4 type light bank in the rear window would mount to it.

Last edited by adamargue; 07-27-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Power panel - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Lipo Works On Flight Power/Thunder Power Balance plate?? fa1rch1ld Electronics 0 01-18-2010 11:46 PM
Thunder Power 1350 Pro Power 30c review Just Zach Electronics 35 09-04-2009 09:12 AM
High Power BEC/Servo Power Supply MANTIS Electronics 14 08-09-2006 03:33 PM
Using a computer power supply to power up my charger.... AYKBOBCAT Electronics 15 03-30-2005 07:41 PM