Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: important lesson learned today.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default important lesson learned today.

i learned what 3s does to a dynamite 15t motor out of TH under the load of a pull off.....for those curious, it flat out smokes the brushes probably wrecked the winding's too.

so i am on the hunt for a new motor. thinking about just doing a stock axial 27t but i don't want to lose my wheel speed.

currently i am running a creeper trans and a 20tooth pinion. the setup was doing good till i got the bright idea to have a pull off with my dads stock wraith....i lost.

i am going to have to sacrifice wheel speed, but i don't want too.

here is a question though i see a lot of comments about 35t and 3s, what is recommended? how low of a turn can you run and still maintain decent motor life. i don't comp, just social crawls and small exhibitions
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: important lesson learned today.

I ran 35t for my comp truck and have Brood doing a 35t motor for my Wroncho. I'll run 2s and 3s.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I run 35t on 3s and have had no problems but it all depends on gearing and stuff as well.
If I was you I would look into a good quality motor or Why don't u run a brushless setup?
1r3land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My son & I run 35T on 3S LiPO's in our 2.2 comp rigs, no issues.
Machine wound can be "cheap" but decent, hand wound is a little more cost but usually a better motor.
Holmes & Br00d both do good motors.

Part of your question is..... what will your ESC support?

As 1r3land asked, why not brushless? Will your ESC support that?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I was running brushless and ditched due to several issues I was having. Plus I wanted to be water proof. I just bought a 35t rc4wd to see how a 35t will so for my needs. Cheap testing.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
My son & I run 35T on 3S LiPO's in our 2.2 comp rigs, no issues.
Machine wound can be "cheap" but decent, hand wound is a little more cost but usually a better motor.
Holmes & Br00d both do good motors.

Part of your question is..... what will your ESC support?

As 1r3land asked, why not brushless? Will your ESC support that?

Just switched to waterproof holmes unit, so pretty much anything I want lol. Idont want to go over 3s until I upgrade to CVs in my scx10 axles.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I was not brave enough to try 3s in my TH stock, though I have a friend who tried something similar and ended up destroying his motor pretty much. I upgraded to a pretty cheap sensored brushless Turnigy and my LRP esc. I want to change out the esc for something with at least a drag brake, though.
Hatersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
i learned what 3s does to a dynamite 15t motor out of TH under the load of a pull off...............
............. i don't comp, just social crawls and small exhibitions.
Between the above, and the mention of gearing up to get the wheel speed you want, it sounds like you're going to need a motor that can handle a pretty aggressive amp draw. You could get a hold of Brood motors and inquire about their HHK wind armatures or the 'flat-wire' wind (well, more square than flat, don't remember the letter code for that one). But my own personal belief is that to handle an amp draw as you're likely to see, I'm personally convinced you may have to go with a multiple wind. From what I hear they're not that fun to do, so don't be surprised if your selected motor builder doesn't really want to do something like that. But at the very minimum, you should be looking at the above mentioned HHK (larger gauge, aka "fat wire") wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf
I just bought a 35t rc4wd to see how a 35t will so for my needs. Cheap testing.
All I ask is that you don't base your opinion of hand built motors on your experience with the RC4WD motor you have. They feel NOTHING like a good hand-wound.
I've used sealed cans, Integy, Venom Fireballs, but the motors I love the feeling of the best are an old Twister Annihilator (9 turn/double, from back in the 80's or 90's), my Holmes Torquemaster Pro 35 turn, but best of all is my Brood Apocalypse S/35 (skewed armature, 35 turns).
I also think if you're as much of a wheel-speed junkie as you say, I just don't know that you'll be happy with a 35 turn. Even with as much as I love my 35's on the crawlers, for the trail truck I'm in the middle of, I think I'm either going to save up for a 25 or 30 turn, or I'm going to pull a spare off the shelf (probably the MotorMan, no idea on what it's got in it), and use one of those. But going from a 15 turn to a 35 turn has got something akin to culture shock for you!

Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Holmes makes a motor for the twin hammers that would probably suit you needs. Not like it can only go in a TW. It has plenty of wheel speed on 3s and is brushed. I personally thought it was an awesome motor and it was pretty cheap.

Holmes Hobbies LLC
Sheepdawg23wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I am sure it will be culture shock, I am also thinking I should just a rock racer to feed my speed need.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdawg23wm View Post
Holmes makes a motor for the twin hammers that would probably suit you needs. Not like it can only go in a TW. It has plenty of wheel speed on 3s and is brushed. I personally thought it was an awesome motor and it was pretty cheap.

Holmes Hobbies LLC
Is that description at the bottom saying that the armature comes without windings and you have to put your stock motor windings on it?
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by z50king View Post
Is that description at the bottom saying that the armature comes without windings and you have to put your stock motor windings on it?
No it simply means there is no motor leads unless you have them put them on.
jaloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaloos View Post
No it simply means there is no motor leads unless you have them put them on.
Oh it's just the motor leads! lol I thought they were going cheap on us
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
Suck it up!

From experience:

Sealed can RTR motors don't last long on 3s, especially under heavy and continual load (going fast). You might get a pack or two out of them depending on how you drive it.

A similar wind in a rebuildable style will do you better for longevity. Don't know that I would spend good money on one though. Its kind of a toss up between using and throwing away a cheap sealed can, or spending a few dollars more on a rebuildable can that will last a bit longer before you throw it away.

If you pick up a comm lathe you can extend the life of the rebuildable unit by quite a bit. Water + dirt kills comms and brushes, even moreso when you up the voltage.

If you want some motors/comms that you can dispose of when they are trashed, I think I've got several in the 15t range.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I might be interested, the only problem is swapping motors in this creeper trans. hate to ditch, it's never let me down expect for issues i have caused ( running the wrong fastener in and trashing a gear). But i also have a TH 2-speed i have been thinking about using.

important lesson learned today. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Talk about a hard lesson learned. crash Chit Chat 37 09-15-2009 10:57 PM
lesson learned MonsterDDT Tamiya CR-01 4 12-12-2008 04:38 PM
English Lesson for Today wyattburp Chit Chat 18 11-29-2007 11:22 AM