Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Why you let batterys cool between run/charge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #1

Default Why you let batterys cool between run/charge

Knew better, but just wasn't thinking. Wanted to get everything charged and put away. Went straight from my slash 4x4 to charger, it was on the hot!! side, then made it hotter. Lucky no cells popped or didn't catch the paper on fire it was on top of. Good lesson for patience.

BMitchell373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Why you let batterys cool between run/charge

Thank goodness nothin serious happened. Was that a Nihm Battery?
lostonthetrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #3

would have been really bad if that was a lipo. I will have to remember to be patient with mine many of times I've put lipos on charge after running.
s0uthernpr1de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:36 PM   #4

Lipo i would of never done it. But it was a 5000mah nimh from venom. back in the day of racing with nimh they would get hot and vent and id still run them. Thats also a downside of pre made packs usually 3+ layers of shrink wrap.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:38 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Why you let batteries cool between run/charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMitchell373 View Post
LiPO I would of never done it. But it was a 5000mah NiMH from Venom. Back in the day of racing with NiMH they would get hot and vent and id still run them. Thats also a downside of pre made packs usually 3+ layers of shrink wrap.
Glad you didn't start a fire.

Back in the day of NiCD & NiMH, I never ran a pack, then charged. I always let them cool down 1st.

If I was getting ready for a race, yes, packs would be charged, then "top them off" a couple times to pack every electron I could into them. The packs would be warm, but not hot.
Venting those older cells caused them to lose a bit of capacity, not a good thing.

I do the same with LiPO today, let them cool a bit after running before charging them back up.

PS, I was glad when peak chargers came out, it helped prevent "pack meltdown" that the old "timer chargers" could do.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I did that to a 7 cell pack of 1700 scr cells I was racing with many, many moons ago. I ran that single pack probably 6 times in a row all through qualifying rounds and it finally puked as I charged it for my A main. Luckily the guys I raced with used the same connectors (light speed ) so they had a pack I could run with. To bad it wasn't fully charged it dumped and I got 3rd.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
PS, I was glad when peak chargers came out, it helped prevent "pack meltdown" that the old "timer chargers" could do.
MmmHmm.
I remember when NiCads were starting to get bigger and bigger, and it was taking multiple runs through the timer to get 'em all charged up. One night I fired up the charger on the headboard of my waterbed, as I always did, and then promptly fell asleep. What I didn't know was that the timer had (ahem) "gotten stuck", somehow, and the pack sat there cookin' until it finally let go at 3ish am or so. Woke to the hissing and crackling of another NiCad pack that would never run again. As already mentioned, the cardboard tubes and multiple layers of shrink wrap that were standard fare at the time, prevented any major catastrophe.
After that,........ Astro-Flight Model 111. Still have it, and still works to this day.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
MmmHmm.
I remember when NiCads were starting to get bigger and bigger, and it was taking multiple runs through the timer to get 'em all charged up. One night I fired up the charger on the headboard of my waterbed, as I always did, and then promptly fell asleep. What I didn't know was that the timer had (ahem) "gotten stuck", somehow, and the pack sat there cookin' until it finally let go at 3ish am or so. Woke to the hissing and crackling of another NiCad pack that would never run again. As already mentioned, the cardboard tubes and multiple layers of shrink wrap that were standard fare at the time, prevented any major catastrophe.
After that,........ Astro-Flight Model 111. Still have it, and still works to this day.

I went to Tekin chargers (BC-100L and a BC-100S, may have also had an earlier peak charger, still have/use the Tekins)

Last timer charger we had came with a Duratrax Evader my son got when he was smaller. He cooked a couple packs using that one.

PS, waterbed, my back has loved mine since 1983.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post

I went to Tekin chargers (BC-100L and a BC-100S, may have also had an earlier peak charger, still have/use the Tekins)

Last timer charger we had came with a Duratrax Evader my son got when he was smaller. He cooked a couple packs using that one.

PS, waterbed, my back has loved mine since 1983.

HA! Not sure if they are s or l model but I have a pair of them someone mounted in a plastic console that has a cooling fan with ductwork and whatnot. I haven't powered it up in probably a decade. I still use my Hobbico HCAP0250 power supply I picked up used at the same time I got the tekin chargers. Old school rules in some cases!
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

We'll for competitive racing with a lipo you want it warm it becomes punchy and has a higher average voltage but after about 5 runs it fades nimh batteries are 1 run wonders per day anything over that well it just got soft and the newer IB cells were com,in to go off like shot gun shells very dangers!!!

So lipo you can keep running just keep them under 130 degrees nimh maybe 2 runs
stankulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #11

You were lucky.

I had 2 fires from nicads back in the mid 90's, one in my first RC truck burned 60% of the truck (rebuilt it anyway). the 2nd one cost me a bunch of money it burned up all of the electronics and the entire front suspension in my RC10WC buggy, I only got to keep the chassis pan and metal parts, it went up like a match.
Chad G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Aint it funny how much safer "scary" lipos are than the old stuff? Unless your an iddiot, then nothing's safe.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jado6006 View Post
Aint it funny how much safer "scary" lipos are than the old stuff? Unless your an iddiot, then nothing's safe.
What i dont get is how so many people blow them up. We tried at the hobby shop one day. Took some already poofed packs. charged on a 15min nicd charger several times it poofed really big bit no pop hooked same 2 cell straight to a 12v gell cell and it just burned the wires out of the pack no poof finally said f it and stuck a t pin right threw it just to see it go off. It did at that point. lol
Old 01-03-2014, 06:03 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Gotta let them cool down at least 20 minutes before recharging.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote

Why you let batterys cool between run/charge - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can't seem to be able to get my motor to run cool realsickclown Electronics 21 08-21-2013 03:19 AM
Sunday practice and cool weather run CRAWLER-DAD Arizona 6 07-02-2013 01:54 PM
Wanting to run two 2s batterys step child Electronics 4 09-24-2012 10:41 AM
Li-Po Batterys and how to charge them... Foolsp33d Newbie General 5 03-27-2011 10:33 PM
Alien gets 5 hours run time on a 6 hour charge - WTF? Doc Mojave Electronics 3 03-02-2010 08:18 PM