Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: how to connect new servo to a maisto rock crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #1

Default how to connect new servo to a maisto rock crawler

Hi there,
I have a couple of maisto rock crawlers which I use to film my rc advenutures for my kids (xmas rc lego adventure). They are great fun especially now with all the snow. We taped them up to make them splash proof and the kids have great fun with them in the snow.

I am modding them now - bought some larger tires (proline interco TSL SX Super Swamper XL 1.9") for them and now I want to add a better servo so it can handle the larger tires. I will go with a smaller sized solar servo like the D657 (Solar Servo D657 0.12@4.8v Mini Digital 25g Metal Gear).

My question to you guys: have you modded the servo on a toy grade rc like this. I am new to this so I am wondering how to connect the servo. Just cut the wires of the stock servo and solder in the solar servo? Or is there something else I need to watch out for? The stock servo is actually a 130 motor and a couple of gears - it's just a left/right servo, i.e. not proportional.

I promise to post pictures of the mod in process!

Thanks!

Gauguin
gauguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I messed with a few of those trucks when i first started getting into crawlers. As far as i know you cant put a different servo in it unless you gut the entire thing and put in a real esc and rx. I did it and it worked well until i stripped out the tiny hexes in the wheels. They wont handle any more power then the stock 130 cans. I think if you were to leave the stock motors in and keep the same voltage it could be ok. But you have to do some hacking to get a real servo in there. Honestly you should look into a cheap hobby grade crawler. Exceed has the 1/16 max stone for $80 rtr. You will find mixed reviews on it but i have one and i can tell you: compared to the maitso its gonna be waaay better. After a few minor upgrades its really not bad at all.
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #3

Default Re: how to connect new servo to a maisto rock crawler

Hi,

this is very helpful. I spent some time looking around now and I think the maxstone might be a really nice platform for me and my kids to tinker around. I think I might actually go for the 1/10 scale as there are so many more parts for those and we like to go over big obstacles. Thanks again for the suggestion.

In terms of the maisto: the one upgrade I did was to get them the massive 1.9 proline super swamper xl (bought from hoobylinc). They really help with ground clearance and look so awesome even if they are a little more than what the motor and servo can handle. The car just makes me smile now!

Gauguin
gauguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

You may also want to look into the redcat rs10 if you want 1/10 scale. Im not sure what you know about this stuff. The exceed is a "shafty" meaning it has a single motor mounted on a transmission with driveshafts that go to each axle. The maitso and rs10 are "moa" or motor on axle. As you know from the maitso there are 2 independent motors, one on each axle. Moa is generally more capable but does not look as scale and the motor can get in the way of links and shocks. There is a ton of info on the rs10 on here. It has its own section and its about the same price as the 1/10 exceed.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The other thing i did to the maitso that was a huge upgrade was to cut out the battery tray and put a 9.6 pack in there. It gives it a little more power but more then likley will break it after a while.

how to connect new servo to a maisto rock crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
maisto rock crawler mods!!!! boul69 Videos! 25 11-18-2015 07:27 AM
maisto rc rock crawler maistiododge Newbie General 10 11-21-2013 01:32 PM
Tires for Maisto Rock Crawler vishv Tires and Wheels 0 05-08-2013 10:32 PM
new maisto rock crawler? toka100 General Crawlers 17 01-20-2011 07:13 PM