Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes ESC set up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Holmes ESC set up

Hi guys,

I have the BR-XL and castle link. I usually run 2s 3000 but I'm thinking about picking up a some 3s batteries and give them a try.
My question is would I need to purchase the field programmer in order to change the low voltage cut off? Or does the low voltage cut of work completely different and go by voltage per cell?

If this has been asked before just link me straight to the thread, I did use the search but couldn't find what i was looking for.

Cheers
Andy
Andyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Holmes ESC set up

set it to auto lipo (default setting i believe) and u can run 2s-6s
Hoser1869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
RCC Addict

It should already be programmed for lipo use...Maybe call or email HH and make sure just to be safe.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
It should already be programmed for lipo use...Maybe call or email HH and make sure just to be safe.
I might not have explained myself correctly. I'm just trying to figure out if I need to change the lipo cut-off for each lipo. So if I'm out on the trail I can use a 2cell then go straight to a 3cell without having to touch the esc other than to change the battery.
This is because I'm looking at getting a 3cell to try.

Last edited by Andyking; 01-19-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyking View Post
I might not have explained myself correctly. I'm just trying to figure out if I need to change the lipo cut-off for each lipo. So if I'm out on the trail I can use a 2cell then go straight to a 3cell without having to touch the esc other than to change the battery.
The BR-XL comes default set to auto-lipo which means it detect the Lipo voltage at power up and selects the right Lipo cut off voltage. I would double check it with your Castle Link.

With auto-lipo you can get it confused by putting it a discharged 3S battery which gets close to a charged 2S battery.

Unless there has been a recent change, the field programmer only works with the BR-XL when connected to a computer just like the Castle Link
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyking View Post
Im not sure if anything changes to use a 3s over a 2s with the ESC.

I still suggest talking with HH and see what they tell you...Its very little effort to be on the safe side.

Some ESC,s have an auto detect with voltage but I don't know for the HH esc...maybe it has to be set manually for more than 7.4v maybe it doesn't.

That's why I say talk to them about it.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 01-19-2014 at 10:14 AM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
The BR-XL comes default set to auto-lipo which means it detect the Lipo voltage at power up and selects the right Lipo cut off voltage.
This, and done. It beeps twice for a 2 cell, three times for a 3 cell. Four for 4, etc.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

As long as you haven't set the Voltage Cutoff setting to say 2s or 3s you will be able to switch between the two batteries types. The BRXL has the capability (providing the LVC is set to auto detect) to switch on the go. No need to manually change anything.

I would plug your ESC up to the castle link and double check to see if the voltage cutoff is set to auto detect.
KnoJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

As was said, just connect a fully charged lipo and make sure the number of beeps match the cell count of your lipo... done.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Cheers for the help guys. I was at work when i sent this. Checked just now and its all set up for auto-detect. I'm gonna order a 3 cell battery to give that a try, see how it fairs against the 2 cell

Holmes ESC set up - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MOA moto set up. Tekin vs Holmes hobbies mudd_slinger Electronics 7 09-30-2013 09:54 AM