Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Ae2 esc not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #1

Default Ae2 esc not working

Hey guys, I have a stock scx10 honcho rtr besides a traxxas 2075 servo. But I plastidiped the ae2 esc chip about a month ago, it was working great in snow and water, no problems even fully submerged (reciever is also waterproofed).

But today I went for about a 20 min drive through the snow it was working great. But when I turned it on after drying my car off, the car would only go backwards, I left it for another hour then tried it again. Now the car won't move forward or reverse, it'd just kind of twitch for a bit but after a while it wouldn't work at all. The steering still worked fine though.

I can't reprogram the esc at all, I did all the steps as stated in YouTube videos, the manual, on the axial website and it wouldn't program. The red light seemed to get dimmer and dimmer as well. And less beeping when attempting to reprogram.

I think I didn't do the best job plastidipping and fried the ae2 esc... What are your guys thoughts?
Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Ae2 esc not working

even on a freshly charged battery; nothing?
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
even on a freshly charged battery; nothing?
nothing! Fully charged battery and even replaced the battery's in my radio
Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Did you check your battery voltage? Maybe plug in another motor.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #5

Also I can't program my esc because when doing the process, the green light will not come on
Old 01-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
RCC Addict

like mentioned above try another motor if you have one...just plug the leads into it and see if you get those beeps...they go through the motor..if your motor is bad then it wont make those beeping sounds and you cant really do anything with the ESC concerning programming.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
like mentioned above try another motor if you have one...just plug the leads into it and see if you get those beeps...they go through the motor..if your motor is bad then it wont make those beeping sounds and you cant really do anything with the ESC concerning programming.
I don't have any motors but I really don't think it'd be the motor gone bad. I've had the car since Christmas and it hasn't been exposed to any mud, just clean fresh water from my well and snow.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisholm View Post
Also I can't program my esc because when doing the process, the green light will not come on
Check and make sure you didn't bump the end point adjustments on your radio also.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man 52 View Post
Check and make sure you didn't bump the end point adjustments on your radio also.
I fiddled with all of the trims on the radio, setting them at 0 and all of that stuff.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Since you don't have a spare motor laying around do your have a multimeter to test voltages with?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #11
RCC Addict

you have know for sure the motor is working...maybe you have a AA battery or a C cell you can put power to the motor and see if it works????

if the motor is working then you know you aren't getting power out of the ESC and maybe it is shot...also check that your ESC plug into the receiver didn't come lose.

If none of that helps im out of suggestions to help out.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 PM   #12

Quote:
you have know for sure the motor is working...maybe you have a AA battery or a C cell you can put power to the motor and see if it works????

if the motor is working then you know you aren't getting power out of the ESC and maybe it is shot...also check that your ESC plug into the receiver didn't come lose.

If none of that helps im out of suggestions to help out.
So just unplug the motor from the esc and hold it on the plus and minus of a battery? I'll give it a shot, if the motor works, and the esc is plugged in fine, then I guess I'll look into a new esc?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
So just unplug the motor from the esc and hold it on the plus and minus of a battery? I'll give it a shot, if the motor works, and the esc is plugged in fine, then I guess I'll look into a new esc?
Yea...just attach the leads off the motor to the battery and see if it turns ...Not sure if its enough power to turn over the whole drivetrain so you may want to remove the pinion gear or just take the motor out...Don't hook up the lipo battery to it...just a small AA battery or something 1.5 volts.

If it turns over then unfortunately I would venture to say its an ESC issue...maybe clean off all the plasti dip and see if axial can repair it for less than a new one would cost or just get something else...Ive been using mine about 5 months now with no problems but I didn't try to waterproof it either.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 01-30-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Yea...just attach the leads off the motor to the battery and see if it turns ...Not sure if its enough power to turn over the whole drivetrain so you may want to remove the pinion gear or just take the motor out...Don't hook up the lipo battery to it...just a small AA battery or something 1.5 volts.

If it turns over then unfortunately I would venture to say its an ESC issue...maybe clean off all the plasti dip and see if axial can repair it for less than a new one would cost or just get something else...Ive been using mine about 5 months now with no problems but I didn't try to waterproof it either.
The motor is still turning no problem with the C battery on it. I'm gunna go into the reciever box tomorrow and check out the plug. I think I'll go with the HH br-xl waterproof esc if it's toast!

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 01-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
The motor is still turning no problem with the C battery on it. I'm gunna go into the reciever box tomorrow and check out the plug. I think I'll go with the HH br-xl waterproof esc if it's toast!

Thanks for all the help guys!
you're welcome bud..Good luck with it.

I run the non waterproof HH BR-XL...great esc.

Ae2 esc not working - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ae2 esc in maxstone 10 outcastct 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 12-31-2013 01:21 AM
AE2 ESC to Receiver wire/cable polarity & AE2 ESC switch position. Tread Well Newbie General 7 06-18-2013 02:14 PM
ae2 esc ? chazekxt Electronics 13 06-24-2012 10:03 PM
ae2 esc dracbec Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 04-17-2011 11:40 AM