Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Where the heck is the Voltage output in the CC BEC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #21
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Where the heck is the Voltage output in the CC BEC?

LOL - so the first time I did it and got the BEC output settings I did just via USB power. I tried, and tried again, and again, same way and nothing. Then I had the BEC hooked up to the LINK and then plugged in the battery, suddenly wham - it recognized it and I was able to increase the BEC. Still can't get it to calibrate to my controller. I'll post some pics shortly.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #22
IPT
Quarry Creeper

It's messy, but you get the idea. The red and black leads into the Male Battery fitting are soldered. I just put the e-tape to help the joint not be stressed and because I am paranoid . New to this, and not sure why Traxxas has (2) CH 1's but they do. At this point my issue is not being able to connect the controller to the RX. I did manage to connect to the BEC 2 times (out of 50 or more!) so it is "possible". I think if I try again I'll hook it up via USB and then plug in the Battery. That for some reson seemed to help the Castle Link recognize it (at least the second time I did connect). Also, I ran the truck this AM and changed nothing on the controller. All I did is splice in the BEC. I did use the Castle Link for the ESC thinking I was in the BEC so it lost the connection to my controller.

When I power it up the ESC just does not recognize the controller (put new batteries in to make sure it was full power) regarding the speed control. I can however still steer and it is fully responsive to that. Controller or, plug in battery, hold it at full throttle and maintian it as I switch the ESC on. It just beeps and beeps with all three lights blinking.

Last edited by IPT; 04-07-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:31 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Holding full throttle is to recalibrate the ESC. You don't need to do it every time that you power it up. Here is what I would do: take all of your wires out of the receiver. Plug just the ESC in into its channel (2). Follow the video and or manual on Castle's site to calibrate the ESC. Then, pull the the ESC wires and put the steering servo and because in. Check that your servo moves and you have control. Put the ESC wires back in, less the red wire. Check that everything works. Sure, this seems like going back to square one, but it should help eliminate some guesswork on what isn't working.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 AM   #24
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the imput. Now for the (hangs head) embaressing part... I decided to try my Traxxas motor and ESC and see what happened. Swapped it out and thought it odd the way the ESC wire mounted to the RX. It was opposite of how I thought it went (can you see where this is going?). So, I pulled the Traxxas once I confirmed it worked and it did just fine. Then I flipped the wires on the Castle BEC and ESC and "whamo" all was good!

Ugh, sorry guys. Can you tell I am new at this?? I wondered why the lights looked so dim...suprised they even went on. I appreciate all the help. Glad I got that out of the way before I build the Wraith. I'm sure I'll learn a lot more on that journey! Thanks for all the help.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

I'm glad that you got this figured out! Don't worry, we all make mistakes.(And have or will make yours at some point)
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #26
RCC Addict

isnt the yellow wire on the ESC and BEC the "signal wire" and the brown wires are the ground?

What I'm getting at is I think you have them connected backwards in the receiver....per your picture.

Then again, I think thats what you're saying above, but I'm not 100% sure. But hey, you got it working - all is great!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #27
IPT
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
isnt the yellow wire on the ESC and BEC the "signal wire" and the brown wires are the ground?

What I'm getting at is I think you have them connected backwards in the receiver....per your picture.

Then again, I think thats what you're saying above, but I'm not 100% sure. But hey, you got it working - all is great!
Yup, that's what it ended up being (doh!). Once I reversed it all was well. Total newbie mistake, but I guess as they say if your not making mistakes you're not trying hard enough or taking enough chances!

Last edited by IPT; 04-07-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Always the simple things

Pic said it all
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #29
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i have had this happen before on our airplane escs. once the bec was soldered to a esc (and red wire pulled) the castle link would never find/recongnize the bec. you could unsolder it from the esc and it would find it just fine.
sometimes powering it up with a lipo(pluged into esc) would make it find it. usb power did not seem to be enough once the bec was soldered to the esc.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote

Where the heck is the Voltage output in the CC BEC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Voltage output. philg Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 8 09-20-2012 03:41 PM
low output voltage???? mudn_1 Electronics 4 11-29-2010 10:52 AM
CC BEC voltage output ScaleReady Newbie General 4 04-20-2010 05:44 PM
cc bec output voltage question crawldad91 Electronics 7 11-05-2008 04:12 PM
How to change output voltage of Castle BEC??? RedBetta Electronics 6 12-03-2007 11:10 AM