Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tydl's DX6I Build and setups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Tydl's DX6I Build and setups

First thing I'll say is that stick isn't for everbody, I'm doing this write up cuz I've been asked about it lately. It can be a bit confusing to drive and very confusing setting up for the first time. I wanted to use it for super first, but I couldn't go back and fourth to a pistol with 2.2p. I had to drive it for both. I did a lot of research; like going back through every page of electronics section looking for anything to do with the dx6i. The twinstick tech thread is somewhat usefull, but I just couldn't find what I wanted, and didn't really know what I wanted in the first place. I spent some time just carrying around the remote, familiarizing myself with it. I tried every setup I heard or read about, TurboFest, is a great stick driver, his setup just boggled me, but I'll be the first to admit, it works for him. I found I had to seperate it in my mind; I couldn't do both throttles on one stick and both steering on the other stick. So I just ignored the rear steer for a minute and just set it up for my 2.2p after nats fully committed.

My setup started with a simple idea, throttle on the left stick, steering on the right stick. From here it gets confusing, I am trying make this simple cuz it took a lot of thinking on my part.
Front esc is throttle (up/down) on the left stick, simple.
Rear esc is elevator (up/down) on the right stick.
I used a mix to have normal throttle
Mix 1 pic below

The master is left stick(throttle) and the mix is on the flap/gyro switch. Switch down, left stick is master, right stick does PROPORTIONAL.
I wanted to turn the proportional off, so I setup elevator d/r switch to ignore inputs from right stick(up/down).
Flap switch down, elevator d/r switch up = 4wd
flap switch down, elevator d/r switch down = proportional based on right stick input adjustment
Flap switch up, elevator d/r switch up = front dig
Flap switch up, elevator d/r switch down = completely independent throttles

Are you confused yet?

To simplify things a little lol, I setup a throttle hold at neutral(stick centered) to achieve rear dig
Flap switch down, elevator d/r switch up, thr hold switch up = rear dig

Front steering is aileron (left/right) on the right stick, again; simple
Rear steering is rudder (left/right) on the left stick, this can be intimidating
I setup rudder d/r switch to tone it down to 30%, this was enough for me but you could turn it off altogether

The switches aren't necessarily in their permanent location, and I do want to add a push button on/off for front dig. The DX6I is working great for me and I have no interest in going to a different remote. Ask any questions you have, and I will have updates...

Sticks rock!
Tydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Tydl's DX6I Build and setups

My first mod to the remote I did about a year ago. Did I mention I totally voided the warranty. It was to self center the throttle stick (left stick). I made the parts myself, but if you send the remote to spectrum, they will do this mod. I would highly recommend this, I was too impatient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tydl View Post
I had to make sure the 6i was ready, so I had lots of little work to do.

The parts that I made.

Installed and ready to go
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

push button front dig?, need this info wade!, you done yet?
Bc Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Nice write up wade and yes I am confused.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
DravTech

Thanks for the guide, it was to a great help when setting up my dx6i.

Do you calibrate both front and rear esc to the throttle channel, or do you calibrate the front to the throttle channel and the rear to elevator?

Reason I ask is that I just got a pair of sidewinder micros that I calibrated to throttle/elevator. When I activate the mix the motors donīt start at the same time. Could it be that one have to calibrate them both to the throttle channel to get correct input signals to the escīs while the mix is active?
Dravpnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post

Do you calibrate both front and rear esc to the throttle channel, or do you calibrate the front to the throttle channel and the rear to elevator?

Reason I ask is that I just got a pair of sidewinder micros that I calibrated to throttle/elevator. When I activate the mix the motors donīt start at the same time. Could it be that one have to calibrate them both to the throttle channel to get correct input signals to the escīs while the mix is active?
Most dual ESC set-ups need the ESC calibrated to the channel it will run in....otherwise, how does the TX/RX know what the span is?? So, try calibrating one ESC in each channel you will use, EPA's to 100% & trims to 0.
You can do both at once or individual.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc Paints View Post
push button front dig?, need this info wade!, you done yet?
I'll be working on it this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
Nice write up wade and yes I am confused.
Whats new?

This is a tough one, once you get used to it, you'll never go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post

Think Mr. Charlie basically covered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Most dual ESC set-ups need the ESC calibrated to the channel it will run in....otherwise, how does the TX/RX know what the span is?? So, try calibrating one ESC in each channel you will use, EPA's to 100% & trims to 0.
You can do both at once or individual.
I'd do them individually, and use the monitor feature to see whats going on

Just getting back from nats. Had issues with the remote. After getting home and pulling remote apart, I found a pin that helps center throttle stick had dislodged. Explaining why everything wanted to go forward at neutral. I pressed the pin back in, but I can't explain the mix issue. In mix, it wanted to do backflips. Fixed itself after 1st course, but killed my score for the day.

Been wanting to relocate the antenna, so I pulled it apart, but this is where I'm at.

Looks like I'm going to have to cut up the plastic inorder to stuff the antenna in the remote.

Anybody got any thoughts before I get started?
Old 04-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #8

I know this is an old thread but so you guys have any comments on how to set up the throttle curve?

I use it on an scx10 dingo with a brushless setup but I can't get the throttle as smooth as I want it.
Anyone have any setup tips for me?

This is my current curve which I just setup having no clue about what I was doing.

Sendt fra min GT-N7100 med Tapatalk
Coach-Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tydl's DX6I Build and setups - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tydl's Super VIPER Tydl Superclass Crawlers 90 08-25-2013 10:27 AM
Tydl's 2013 Stingray!!! This is going to be fun! Tydl EnRoute Berg 93 05-14-2013 06:25 PM
Tydl's First Buggy Tydl 2.2 Scale Rigs 114 02-05-2013 08:04 PM
Tydl's Viper 2 Tydl Axial XR10 150 10-12-2012 08:30 AM
Tydl's UGC Viper Tydl Axial XR10 461 03-17-2012 11:29 PM