Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Does this radio function exist?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Does this radio function exist?!

I've been running sticks for some time, I'd really like to try a pistol radio for a 2.2 pro crawler. I own plenty of high end radios but haven't found what I'm looking for...
The reason I run sticks is because at any point I can separate my mixing and drive the front esc and the rear esc separately, and while mixed, I can over ride the front wheels with one stick while using the "all 4" stick... In other words, on a tough climb, I can keep both ESC's moving with the right stick, and at the same time, can speed up just the front with the left stick, modulating how much faster I want it to dig instantly. If this feature was available in a pistol TX, I would buy it immediately.

Is there a radio out there with a variable switch, making it possible to modulate the throttle mixing of 2 ESC's on the fly? Like a self centering thumb wheel where center is all in, and as you scroll it up, it increases dig while decreasing rear, and vice versa for rear dig?
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Does this radio function exist?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklewagon View Post
I've been running sticks for some time, I'd really like to try a pistol radio for a 2.2 pro crawler. I own plenty of high end radios but haven't found what I'm looking for...
The reason I run sticks is because at any point I can separate my mixing and drive the front esc and the rear esc separately, and while mixed, I can over ride the front wheels with one stick while using the "all 4" stick... In other words, on a tough climb, I can keep both ESC's moving with the right stick, and at the same time, can speed up just the front with the left stick, modulating how much faster I want it to dig instantly. If this feature was available in a pistol TX, I would buy it immediately.

Is there a radio out there with a variable switch, making it possible to modulate the throttle mixing of 2 ESC's on the fly? Like a self centering thumb wheel where center is all in, and as you scroll it up, it increases dig while decreasing rear, and vice versa for rear dig?
You can do that with one of the thumb wheels on a 4pk. Its not self centering though.

Edit: I just tried to set it up like that and I can only get it to affect the mix in forward or reverse but not both. So maybe not. Its 1:30am and I'm medicated so I might be missing something obvious.

Edit x2 you can do it like I said with a thumb wheel. Say your crawling forward at 50% throttle. Scrolling back on the thumb wheel will reduce the speed of the back motor. Scrolling forward will increase the speed of the back motor and you can even speed up the back motor past the speed of the front motor. If you want to do this while in reverse too you can assign the other thumb wheel for reverse proportion.

Last edited by Calderwood; 06-22-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:52 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

You are FUC&!NG AMAZING!!! Is that the 4PK only or will the 4PKs and the new one (4PKs-r?) do the same. While it's set up like this, is the only "dig" function the thumb wheel or can a button give full dig, and then the thumb wheel mix while in "all 4". Geez I'm excited. Where is said thumb wheel, is it easy to get to? I can't sleep now, I'm shopping for a radio.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:28 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

you can accomplish the same thing with the MT-4 lever. that is how i adjust the front/rear bias. anywhere from full dig either end to a full power. the lever isn't self-centering but it gives an audio beep when centered.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Woah, really? On the MT4, how far is the throw of the slider? Is it enough to modulate the front to rear precisely?
Old 06-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

my dx4s has proportional control on both the front and the rear axle. Front is a dial 0-100% in any choice of increments, and the rear is a two position switch -100%-0-+100% (full reverse to zero to full forward) in 1% increments.

If that is what you are asking.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks Master. It isn't quite what I'm looking for I don't think. I'm looking for a return to center slider switch, where you can modulate front and rear on the fly. Looked at a friends mt4 and it's really close, if I could figure out how to get it to return to center, it would be even better.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:02 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The MT-4 gives you it all! Not only can you do the mixing/dig/burn, with the thumb, like you want but can over power or under power the motor's with the "dial"..
It took me a while ti figure it out.. But... In certain climbs, side hills, etc, etc.. You can use the "dial" to dial power in and our of each motor, all while keeping ur center on the MT-4 4wd.. Just with different amount of power to ur motor's.. So you can make 4wd like OD, then throw the mixing of the lever into it..

Edit 1.. All but self centering the lever.. Nothing a spring couldn't fix? Or throw a self centering stick in there, in place of the lever.

Personally, now that I'm use to it, my thumb never comes off of it (the lever) and is rarely stationary in 4wd for all that long. I turned the volume off to the tx as well and do it all by feel and the action an reaction of the rig..

The Best part of it.. No Button Pushing! I haven't Ever had to stop crawling and look at my tx to see where my dig/burn/mixing was!

Last edited by winnerone23; 06-25-2014 at 11:07 PM.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
The MT-4 gives you it all! Not only can you do the mixing/dig/burn, with the thumb, like you want but can over power or under power the motor's with the "dial"..
It took me a while ti figure it out.. But... In certain climbs, side hills, etc, etc.. You can use the "dial" to dial power in and our of each motor, all while keeping ur center on the MT-4 4wd.. Just with different amount of power to ur motor's.. So you can make 4wd like OD, then throw the mixing of the lever into it..

Edit 1.. All but self centering the lever.. Nothing a spring couldn't fix? Or throw a self centering stick in there, in place of the lever.

Personally, now that I'm use to it, my thumb never comes off of it (the lever) and is rarely stationary in 4wd for all that long. I turned the volume off to the tx as well and do it all by feel and the action an reaction of the rig..

The Best part of it.. No Button Pushing! I haven't Ever had to stop crawling and look at my tx to see where my dig/burn/mixing was!

Thanks winner. This is what I need, except with a spring. Went to chech out a friends MT4 the other day, seems the slider doesn't have much throw to it but with a spring mod, should be just fine. If Airtronics Rx's were a bit cheaper, it would be a little more tempting.

You ever take yours apart??

Have you found any aftermarket receivers?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:06 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I am sure that one of the euro guys modified their MT-4, fitting a longer throw slide lever onto the pistol grip in place of the smaller dial. If you could carry out this mod, and fit a self centering slide, this sounds like it would cover your needs. I will see if i can find the thread.

Edit - Found it. The lever Dr Frank fitted is still fairly short throw, but has auto centering.
Dr.Frank's XR take II CK Fly V1

Last edited by LAY80N; 07-01-2014 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Added link to thread
LAY80N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAY80N View Post
I am sure that one of the euro guys modified their MT-4, fitting a longer throw slide lever onto the pistol grip in place of the smaller dial. If you could carry out this mod, and fit a self centering slide, this sounds like it would cover your needs. I will see if i can find the thread.

Edit - Found it. The lever Dr Frank fitted is still fairly short throw, but has auto centering.
Dr.Frank's XR take II CK Fly V1

Ooh! Thank you very much... And good bye stick radio! There are a few things that sticks make much easier for me, like gnarly climbs and crabbing sideways across a incline-little front-little rear-little front-little rear.... But with the more current courses I've seen recently, the ability to burp over little gaps and pop the rear over little undercuts, I think the pistol radio is going to treat me better. Thanks for the link

Does this radio function exist?! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hulk does exist!.. GREEDY GENIUS Chit Chat 52 03-17-2014 08:05 AM
Freqeskinz, do they exist? Slowsteve Axial Wraith 12 02-14-2012 09:41 AM
Does DMG Still Exist? DrPhred Paint and Body 7 04-09-2011 09:11 AM
does it exist? Rider385 Newbie General 15 01-19-2006 04:44 AM