Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: mamba max throttle jump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 12:57 AM   #1

Default mamba max throttle jump

I have been looking but can not find the answer. This is my first Castle product and I am not having the best luck. I have a Twin Hammers, Mamba Max Pro kit with 4600kv motor, 4PL transmitter and S-FASS receiver.

So to the problem I am having. At low throttle it will start to go then jump in speed. So its not a smooth throttle. Not a real problem for bashing but when I want more control to crawl it is not possible. I do not know why it is doing this or how to fix it.

I have tried working with the throttle curve on the 4PL but did not help.
Zasvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2014, 01:55 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: mamba max throttle jump

brushless non sensored?

also with the castle link you can set up a throttle curve within the esc parameters as well, i did that for my friends rig, he didnt have a sensored brushless so slow crawling was cogging/jumping so we adjusted the throttle curve in the esc with the programmer, it made it better but it would be great if he changed to sensored brushless
Awesome-Sauce RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:13 AM   #3

It is not that it is cogging/jumping it is just one speed jump at low speed. None of the Castle motors are sensored as for as I can tell they use "smart scene" I just ordered the castle link stuff so i can try that.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:19 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The jump in speed you are referring to is typical of a sensorless motor. This can be minimized in the software with your throttle curve and lowering the start power. Also adding exponential on your radio might help. However you will never get to a slow start that's smooth unless you get a sensored motor. The mmp is a great esc (I have 3, all running sensored motors). The castle line of motors have gobs of power and torque and speed. However they are not suited for anything slow.
Sorry to say that your best bet is selling the motor to someone who races short course trucks and picking up a sensored motor like a tekin roc412 3100kv, tekin pro4 3300, hobbywing 3656sd, or holmes hobbies bls 540.

Good luck man,
Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:54 AM   #5

I have always been a Tekin person all my other rigs run Tekin all due to DJMedic lol. I was just hoping for something cheaper. After this experience I think I'm going back to Tekin.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

^ Nothing wrong with Castle, this is just a poor application of their sensorless motors. The MMP ESC is right at home in a Twin Hammers, you'd just want to pair it with a sensored motor.
Brainanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:29 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasvig View Post
I have always been a Tekin person all my other rigs run Tekin all due to DJMedic lol. I was just hoping for something cheaper. After this experience I think I'm going back to Tekin.
That's so medic
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasvig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainanator View Post
^ Nothing wrong with Castle, this is just a poor application of their sensorless motors. The MMP ESC is right at home in a Twin Hammers, you'd just want to pair it with a sensored motor.
Brainanator is right, its not the combination its the application. You'll find countless folks using an mmp with great success with a sensored motor.
Imho, sensorless motors should be left on the track where they excel. There are many great sensored motors out there. Tekin is the best in my mind.

The mmp is perfect for crawlers and scalers. Pair that with a tekin motor and you're set. Don't get me wrong, the tekin rx8 is badass, just costs about twice what an mmp does.

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:53 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
Brainanator is right, its not the combination its the application. You'll find countless folks using an mmp with great success with a sensored motor.
Imho, sensorless motors should be left on the track where they excel. There are many great sensored motors out there. Tekin is the best in my mind.

The mmp is perfect for crawlers and scalers. Pair that with a tekin motor and you're set. Don't get me wrong, the tekin rx8 is badass, just costs about twice what an mmp does.

Dna
Rx8 is on the large size to boot.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #10

So the big problem is I did not realize that Castle motors are senserless and this is my first go at it lol. Castle link offers a great and easy to understand way to mod the esc to your licking but still not enough to make the motor do what I want. So I ordered a Tekin setup ROC 412 3100kv motor RSX esc and Hot Wire. Once it arrives I will let you know how it goes and if I like it.

NOTE: this is my first attempt at anything outside of Crawling. Not used to the speed or the idea of not having control at low speed LOL

mamba max throttle jump - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with Tekin FX-R - throttle input makes the truck jump formward Tomy Electronics 9 01-20-2010 01:30 PM
Mamba Max Throttle/Brake Screenshots vltchkr Electronics 10 10-22-2008 06:11 PM
mamba max throttle and reverse curves.. crawls2thewalls Electronics 7 09-23-2007 03:17 AM
Throttle Curve? Mamba Max? run2jeepn Electronics 10 03-06-2007 08:05 PM
Mamba Max throttle curves k9popo Chit Chat 0 02-02-2007 09:23 PM