Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes tech videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2018, 04:13 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Holmes tech videos

You have explained brushed motors quite well, does this information translate to brushless motors.
Does lower kv mean mean more torque per volt?
If we can expect maximum power from a 35t motor, is there an equivalent in the brushless world?
Why do some brushless motors have smoother slow startup?
Pole count 2, 4, 6, 14: whats the difference?
Why is the revolver so loud, and what causes the whine in this and other brushless motors?
Do brushless motors get hot and burn up when you try to crawl and gears are too tall?
Can I use my kids cotton candy to sweeten up my morning coffee?

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 06-17-2018 at 04:16 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #22
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Lower kV does not equate to more torque for brushless, higher kV will produce more torque until the ESC or battery cannot deliver. It is typically above 3500kv where brushless starts to show signs of amp saturation in the ESC.

Maximum torque on a brushed motor running 3s is about 27t 540 or 21t 550 (2100kv specifically, for my soft copper brushes). Maximum power would be something like a 8t on a small web armature. Not at all useful in a crawler.

Maximum torque or power on a brushless motor will be determined by ESC size more than anything. The faster the brushless motor, the more torque and power it can deliver. 3500kv and lower is best suited for average ESCs .

Some brushless motors start up smoother by design . It is easiest to design higher pole counts to start up smoother, as a general rule. But this is not always the case, I have 10 pole motors with worse startup than 2 pole. It is more of the designers job to ensure it is made well.

The revolver is loud because it has a lot of active motor, and the rotating bell acts like a speaker. This is the only reason it is louder, it is simply the best "speaker" of motor topology.

Any motor will get hot when overgeared.

Cotton candy is great in coffee.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Lower kV does not equate to more torque for brushless, higher kV will produce more torque until the ESC or battery cannot deliver. It is typically above 3500kv where brushless starts to show signs of amp saturation in the ESC.

Maximum torque on a brushed motor running 3s is about 27t 540 or 21t 550 (2100kv specifically, for my soft copper brushes). Maximum power would be something like a 8t on a small web armature. Not at all useful in a crawler.

Maximum torque or power on a brushless motor will be determined by ESC size more than anything. The faster the brushless motor, the more torque and power it can deliver. 3500kv and lower is best suited for average ESCs .
Ok what I read {Edit} from your comment above {/Edit} was a 3000k motor at half throttle produces roughly the same torque as a comparable quality 1500kv motor at full throttle. and that really the only reason to get a motor lower kv then 3500kv is because your trigger is too short to have good resolution/control (um twice as much control with a motor that goes half the speed, I'm lacking the words to articulate this).

How is getting a 3000kv motor and setting the trim/throttle curve to not go above 50% different then a 1500kv motor with 100% throttle/voltage.

When I talk about comparing torque, I am referring to torque @ RPM, not per volt.

{Edit} you dont happen to have any of those amazing charts/graphs for brushless like you showed me for the brushed motors? showing , current/volt/torque/rpm {/Edit} never mind those were from Hydrocarbon92.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 06-18-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:49 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

And at 5-10% throttle under load will the 3500kv brushless get hot like a low turn high speed brushed motor.

Holmes tech videos - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes Team, Pro, and Custom motor Tech JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 100 07-25-2019 01:56 PM
2014 Holmes Hobbies USRCCA Worlds Videos ZZR 1100 Racer Past Events 26 11-07-2014 11:05 AM
My wraith videos... (Repost from scale videos) tomvaillencourt Scale Videos! 0 01-03-2013 12:11 PM
2012 Holmes Hobbies Nats Videos XLR Past Events 32 10-15-2012 09:21 AM