Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Yeah Racing light kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Yeah Racing light kit?

So I picked up this kit Yeah Racing Ultra Bright Front and Rear LED Light Kit #LK-0001WT and I'd like to run it directly from my 3S battery. I use one of the adapters that plugs into your balance port and has 4 JST plugs and the light kit would be a direct plug in to that.
If I run it off the Rx I'll have to add a Y and the adapter that came with the kit. Not that big of a deal but it will add like a foot of wires, which I hate.
I figure I could solder in a capacitor to get to a workable voltage. The problem is that I can't figure out what one to use. I tried a calculator and wasn't getting good answers.
I'm not very proficient with this stuff either.

Sent from the can using Tapatalk
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Yeah Racing light kit?

it appears that kit is for 6v, adding a cap into the mix will not stop your led's from blowing.
a cap is more for filtering voltage spikes to help protect whats on the other side or to stabilize a circuits voltage that fluctuates when operating under load.

as they are 6v that leads me to believe they are individually wired with their own resistor inline of the wire going to each led.

so the options:
buy a cheap bec and set for 6v

or

rewire each led into custom strings to run from 3s

even if you tap into the battery balance port and only take the voltage from 2 cells then you will still have a light kit that is running higher than it should be and the potential that the current limiting resistor to each led will not limit current to the acceptable level for the led and still end up blowing them.

i make a heck of alot of high powered custom led setups for our local guys and they are tailored to what voltage they choose be it RX power,2s or 3s and regardless of who's running 2s or 3s they all look just as bright as the next truck.

if you do decide to tackle a rewire then this site it what i often use to save time calculating the required resistor and power rating:
LED Resistor Calculator

if you do rewire them for 3s doing them in a string of 2 leds plus resistor per pair will be fine and not need to big of a resistor to limit the current, also when selecting a resistor for the leds bear in mind you dont need to run it at its full current for its maximum brightness, if they are rated 30ma max per led then even 20ma is more than enough to be just as bright.

if you do decide to tackle a custom rewire and get stuck or need help i dont mind knocking up a diagram for you with all the resistor info needed for each string so you can just go buy some parts and solder away.

tony
Awesome-Sauce RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks. I made my own on my last rig as you described with a resistor on strings of two. Works great. I was just hoping this would save some time. I'd have the same money into my own build anyways.
I guess I'll end up just living with the extra mile of wire in there since I really don't want to rewire it all. Next time I'll just build my own again.
Here is the power tap I've used for running lights. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ad_4_JST_.html I like it since I don't have to run the lights if I don't want to.

Sent from the can using Tapatalk
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:52 PM   #4

Hey Tony hopefully you’re still on here but can you recommend a bec to use with a 2s lipo that needs to be at 6v
CAcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:37 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Here are a couple good ones.
https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/cse010-0004-00.htm

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/heynbradj.htm

I use both of them.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeah Racing light kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post