Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: SMD LED light bars, power question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question SMD LED light bars, power question

So here are the facts:
I ma constructing 2 light bars for mx SCX10. A total of 7" of light strips will be used. At 2.9 Watts per foot, I am looking at a max of 1.7 Watts total for the bars + a slight amount more for 4 standard LEDS for headlights and taillights. So this equates to ~160mA. I figure an 800mA 3sh battery will take me 5hrs. Does this sound reasonable or am I forgetting something? Battery will run accessories alone. Should I add more mAh for a winch? Looking for experienced opinions and thoughts.
scaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SMD LED light bars, power question

My line of thought goes like this:
My rig runs on 3s lipo. The lights run on 3s lipo. Run the one pack to power of all. The lights draw an insignificant amount compared to the motor and the esc's built in lipo cut off will protect the battery.
heyok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:35 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
My rig runs on 3s lipo. The lights run on 3s lipo. Run the one pack to power of all. The lights draw an insignificant amount compared to the motor and the esc's built in lipo cut off will protect the battery.
I agree a second battery add unnecessary mess and weight.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
I don't disagree; however, I am running on 2s and have a significant collection of batteries. Considering the SMDs are set to run off of 12v I would need to run yet another direct line off the battery considering the ESC outputs 5v and BEC 6v. With another battery it is plug and play if you need it and if you don't it stays on the bench.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So anyone hook up a small step-up transformer to boost voltage from 5 to 12 volts? Only a couple of dollars on ebay. The board is only 30mm X 17mm and is easily Plastidipped.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Well I bought a small step-up transformer from ebay for a dollar or so and adjusted the output voltage up from 4.8 to 12v. It is powering a 5" SMD light bar, 2 LED Tail Lights, and I am building some SMD headlights into a custom grille. The lights I am using (3 SMDs per inch) are called Hitlights off of amazon. Rolll can be cut every inch and new leads may be soldered to the strips. Everything works, lights are bright and Transformer board is very small and easily adjusted. Also have some small 3s Lipos if things don't work out.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have a couple of step/up voltage converter installed in multiples truck to stabilise / up the voltage around 12V.

Cheap, small and they work!
SilmarilS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaled View Post
Well I bought a small step-up transformer from ebay for a dollar or so and adjusted the output voltage up from 4.8 to 12v. It is powering a 5" SMD light bar, 2 LED Tail Lights, and I am building some SMD headlights into a custom grille. The lights I am using (3 SMDs per inch) are called Hitlights off of amazon. Rolll can be cut every inch and new leads may be soldered to the strips. Everything works, lights are bright and Transformer board is very small and easily adjusted. Also have some small 3s Lipos if things don't work out.
Some pics of this setup would be appreciated, if that's possible.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

So here is what you are looking for. They are a buck a piece and very small. On the left are holes for the input 4.8v from the ESC. On the right are the holes for the output voltage. The blue potentiometer needs to be turned counterclockwise about 20 turns to get the voltage up. Crank it 20 times or so then measure voltage. Voltage goes up to about 24v. Only a couple turns clockwise will bring it down to 12v or where you need it. Waterproof with Plastidip or throw into your sealed receiver box. I will assume you can wire up your LEDs/SMDs/CREEs...

Search ebay for this:
MT3608 DC-DC Step Up

Hundreds of these listed.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:42 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Okay. Yeah, I've seen quite a few of those on eBay. I was wondering if what you were talking about was the same thing. I bought a stepdown transformer some time ago, but never got around to using it. I'll keep these in mind, for the future.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Building another setup using the same transformer. A total of 20 custom SMDs of all colors on a Komodo body. Using Dash Lights and taking them down to the component level. Should light up the universe!

Also adding to my Deadbolt. Ditching the standard LEDs for the SMDs and adding another SMD strip built into a custom grille made out of styrene. Can't wait to finish all of this, turning out great so far. Will post a pic or two when completed.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Pics as promised. Hard to see how bright these SMDs are especially in the snow but at night they light up a room. 12v light system powered of the 4.8v from the ESC as described above.

PC210275

PC210276

SMD LED light bars, power question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LED light buckets vs the LED bars? Vitamin J Axial Wraith 3 09-10-2015 09:44 PM
Review: MORE LED module for Vanquish Rigid Industries LED light bars JasonInAugusta Electronics 29 04-04-2014 08:29 AM
1:1 led light bars... braceysdad 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 3 08-08-2013 12:04 PM