Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HH Motor Questions / Specs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #1

Question HH Motor Questions / Specs

I have in my Axial RR10 Bomber a RC4WD 27T Motor installed. The motor is really good but I want a power plant. U4 is in fact a challenge too for the motor.

In general, I like brushed motors because they are very smooth to drive. In my search, I found the Puller Series (brushed) by Holmes, but unfortunately I have no information found on speed (kV), torque, efficiency, etc. to compare with other motors. In addition, I do not know with the large selection, which I could use. Puller 400, 500, Crawl, Flow, 20T, 30T...? The 500 Crawl sounds really good. More power for the same price. Ahm, maybe

Alternatively, there are the Puller Pro Brushless series. However, I do not want excessive power and I have concerns that they are too less smooth (Cogging). I want to crawl very slowly too. However, i have no idea where the pros and cons of the puller and puller Pro are. And I had to buy a new controller, because I have no sensor-ESC

But one thing is certain: the price of the puller series is not cheap and I am not sure how justifies this. Yes, i know, its handmade in america I'm going for years already simple HH Sport Motors and am very satisfied. I think John is a magician, but 115 bucks for a brushed motor? Are these things really so superior? I am extremely excited about how such a motor performs.

BTW: I'll use a castle sv3 ESC @ 3S.
binarydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2016, 02:34 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: HH Motor Questions / Specs

I just put a 500 crawler 20t in an scx10 type jeep and its awesome great start up and lite. The drag brake is a little weak. The 400 is even smaller but your gonna lose some power. The flows have thicker cans so you get a better drag brake. In a rr10 I would run a puller pro. There is no cogging from that monster.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #3

I started with a cheap Axial 27T brushed motor in my Wraith. I wanted to upgrade, and didn't want to lose any low speed crawlability, so was going to get a HH Crawlmaster.

But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted the low maintenance and higher efficiency of brushless. I didn't need the Wraith to do backflips at 30 mph, and also didn't want to break or replace every part on the truck, so I went with a Puller Pro stubby 3,300kV instead.

It turned out awesome and I couldn't be happier. Low end is just as smooth as with the Axial brushed motor, but I also have way more punch and speed. And I'm easily getting an extra 25-50% run time out of my batteries.
Helicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:44 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Definitely brushless. The puller pro series is among the smoothest starting brushless motors available, so don't worry about that being a downside. A 3500kv 540 size would be my recommendation.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #5

Thanks for your answers!

The brushless variant is really tempting and I'll maybe just order it together with a TrailMaster BLE Pro to try.

Nevertheless, I am very interested in the specs of the different brushed puller motors. There must be a reason for their existence John, can I find this specs somewhere, so I can get an overview on the wide range of different motors? And which brushed puller would you recommend as an alternative to the proposed 3500kV puller pro?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

No brushed for U4 racing if you don't want to rebuild every race. my recommendation is to forget brushed motors unless you are only crawling.

The fastest brushed pullers are around 2500kv. They are all built for competitive comp crawlers that see more time at low throttle than full throttle.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

There isn't a brushed motor that can replace 3500kv Puller Pro. It is unholy power in a can that I assume required some kind of voodoo to harness.

The Puller brushed motors take the performance of the top end Crawlmaster and Torquemaster motors and stuff them into smaller and lighter packages. Smaller, lighter, and maximum low speed control is great for comp crawling but the Bomber is big, heavy, and meant for some speed so the Puller brushed series is not a great match.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #8

Ok guys, you've convinced me. Thank you for your help. I will install a Puller Pro 3500kV and a Trailmaster BLE Pro ESC.

Another question: My dealer has only one of these motors which is not waterproofed. What do I have to do, so I have no problems?

Last edited by binarydog; 02-04-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Remove screws that hold can together & "conformal coat" the sensor board & wiring to it! I use MG chemicals picked up from amazon

Last edited by sic1to; 02-04-2016 at 04:52 PM.
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #10

You will most likely find the board already coated, but because the factory doesn't always do a 100% job we go back in and rework em for the motors sold as waterproofed.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:36 AM   #11

Many thanks for your help. I'll try that
What is this MG Chemicals? A silicone grease? There are many products with this name...

Last edited by binarydog; 02-05-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #12
RCC Addict

sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Definitely brushless. The puller pro series is among the smoothest starting brushless motors available, so don't worry about that being a downside. A 3500kv 540 size would be my recommendation.
Is this still the recommendation, if I've added weight to my bomber? I'm just curious, since I could do with some electronics. I've added aluminum axles, aluminum wheels, titanium links...ect.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:52 AM   #14

The "540" size has a 550 stator and rotor crammed inside, I don't need to know anything about a rig to recommend it without reservation
Old 02-06-2016, 12:23 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Ok, done, and done. Um, I couldn't remember my account information to sign in, but I made the order anyway. Thanks JRH.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:02 AM   #16

Motor and ESC installed and my first impression: great! Really smooth and endless power!

I have a question about the settings in Castle Link: When I let the trottle go, the motor stops violently. I have found that only the setting under "Drag Break" made a difference. "Break amount" has no effect. The drag Break is now at 30%. But now the car is not hold in steep terrain...

With the SW3 or a BR-XL and a brushed motor, i have never problems with this.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #17

You are feeling the difference between brushed and brushless, the transition in and out of drag is not the same. Try about 35% drag or go one tooth lower on motor pinion.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

In the same boat for a motor/esc for my bomber. It is more setup for 75% crawling. Would you still recommend the 3500 puller pro or maybe the 3300 for a bit more for crawling? Also advantage of the Trailmaster BLE Pro esc vs the Mamba Max Pro or even the X?
MNorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

^^yea, me too, but I'm just second guessing my ESC choice at this point, can I change it?...
Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNorby View Post
In the same boat for a motor/esc for my bomber. It is more setup for 75% crawling. Would you still recommend the 3500 puller pro or maybe the 3300 for a bit more for crawling? Also advantage of the Trailmaster BLE Pro esc vs the Mamba Max Pro or even the X?
I'm running the Puller Pro 3500 and it's perfect for what I do - mostly crawling and a little bit of go-fast when I'm in the mood. Any wheel speed adjustments can be made through pinion changes.

The Trailmaster BLE is nearly identical to the MMP with some minor improvements by Holmes. I got one for the fact that it's fanless, waterproof and has the HH name behind it. The MMX is probably overkill. I looked at it briefly but the thing is huge and I have no need to run that kind of power.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bomber, holmes, motor question, rr10

HH Motor Questions / Specs - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
motor specs weakyota91 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 02-14-2012 07:40 AM
Identifying motor specs 4mulaSvaliant Electronics 0 01-23-2010 05:06 PM
Motor specs..... Pappy Newbie General 9 07-21-2009 12:15 AM
Looking for a motor with specs similar to the Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem 22T motor MDcrawler72 Electronics 0 12-22-2008 06:01 PM
WK stock motor specs? edman87k5 HPI Wheely King 0 11-12-2007 07:46 PM