Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: axial ae2 esc 3s does it really work? longterm ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #1

Default axial ae2 esc 3s does it really work? longterm ?

i recently got my hands on a rtr scx10 with the 2nd gen esc , servo and tx/rx, ive had my ax10 for sometime now and have a mamba max 3s on it ,i do have another mamba max 3s but would like to keep it for my xr10 build which im also working on . the scx came with the ae2 esc supposedly its the same as the sidewinder more or less but only runs 2s . i did email axial about running it on 3s they said no...

i have read a couple threads on here with people saying they did run it on 3s lipo but that was awhile back im wondering if anyone has had luck longterm?

also i havent hooked it up yet but i would assume the program only lets u set it to 2s how exactly did everyone get around the program to set it to 3s? any info would be appreciated , thnx guys.
cuttyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
www.team3sixrc.com

Default Re: axial ae2 esc 3s does it really work? longterm ?

I have not tried it or know if it will work. But I have heard as well as wondered if a large cap was added, if it could handle 3S.

Truth is the other part of me guesses not because so many of them have crapped out on 2S.

Now this might be user error. But I can add a larger cap on a Tekin FX-R and run 4S.
which of course voids any chance of warranty.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've heard some run fine, some for only a few packs, or not at all. I personally don't have an AE-2 ESC, but a friend of mine had one in his Wraith for a short time. He did attempt to run it on 3S, it did not like it. It kept powering off and/or glitching. So the choice is yours, just be careful.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

All the ones I have had worked fine on 3s. They have auto lipo detection for 3s also. I ran them as a pair on 3s in my comp truck and they never even got above the outside temp. They are now decased with no heatsinks running 3s with not much change.

highlandcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
Proverbial threadkiller

Like Devil said, my AE-1 would glitch and quit on 7 cells, and 8 cells NiMh was undrivable. Then I put in a BEC, and now I've got it running 9 cells NiMh now, and doing fine so far. Last time I ran it, I temp'd the elctronics, Motor- 103°, ESC- 95°,Receiver- 97°, BEC- 95°, Servo- 148°. Unfortunately my basement practice area isn't exactly huge, so I can't put the thing under a load over a long period of time and really get some heat in it.

If my AE-1 can handle 13+ volts, an AE-2 should be able to handle a 3S (12.6ish volts fully charged).
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #6

I am using in my Axial AX-10 3S will do just one month
The car was a bit stupid in 3S but gave it to improve over the radio Hk-310
Another thing to monitor the temperature and was within the normal
But you have to configure the Lipo cut through the castle link will not lose the lipos.
alvaroguisso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I programmed mine and my brothers to run on 3s haven't had a problem with none of them works great.
jon1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #8

thanks for the info guys , definately appreciate it. what the hell ill give it a try , if i fry it then its only like losin 40 bucks or whatever i would have sold it for.... from reading other threads seems like the 27t axial motor will probably fry before the esc
Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttyman View Post
thanks for the info guys , definately appreciate it. what the hell ill give it a try , if i fry it then its only like losin 40 bucks or whatever i would have sold it for.... from reading other threads seems like the 27t axial motor will probably fry before the esc
Like you said.... What the hell, just try it. I have ran 2 SCX10's and now my new Wraith all on 3s LiPo and have had no issues but this could be different per each individual user. Good luck with it though, just take her easy for a little and see how she responds. Check temps and monitor and you should be good to go.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
Like you said.... What the hell, just try it. I have ran 2 SCX10's and now my new Wraith all on 3s LiPo and have had no issues but this could be different per each individual user. Good luck with it though, just take her easy for a little and see how she responds. Check temps and monitor and you should be good to go.
Those are all running on the AE-2 ESC? Do you run a BEC, and if so - what voltage is it delivering? Thanks
AgentXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traikun View Post
Those are all running on the AE-2 ESC? Do you run a BEC, and if so - what voltage is it delivering? Thanks
i know u didnt ask me but the esc only has a 5 amp bec in it. if your goin with an external bec you will want it at 6 v which most servos will take , unless u got a high voltage one they are 7.4 and maybe higher not sure
Old 12-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I ran an AE-2 on 3s using a 35t motor in my Wraith. I already had a BEC installed due to the steering servo I had so that was out of the way first. If you do not have a BEC on the truck already, get one. It's well worth the $30 in parts (including making a plug-in adapter harness) and the time spent.

I did some voltage testing with my AE-2 and found that on a fully charged 3s lipo, the ESC's BEC put out 5 volts exactly. Amperage I cannot comment on as I do not have the proper rig to test it. I did not test 4s voltages at that point as I did not have a 4s battery.

I used the ESC's BEC to power the lights and receiver, but used the BEC to power the steering servo directly. I run a hitec 7050 servo with the BEC set at 7.6 volts. I ran it (and still am running it) that way for several comps including light splashes of water and plenty of time wadding the truck up nearly stalling out the mildly undergeared 35t.

A local guy here ran 4s on an AE-2 with no smoking or abnormal heating of the ESC. I would test that theory myself as well, but I already upgraded to a BR-XL.

Marcus
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

On my wraith i have run 3 cell since i bought it. I have a cc bec and have not had a problem. I have had it since the first pre order. So run 3 cell but use a cc bec and you should be good to go.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Ok I have run the AE-2 ESC on 3s without a CC BEC but I did notice a bit of glitchyness. I now the AE2 will handle the 3s with no problem since the stock LVC is set for 2s and 3s from factory as well as it recognizing the 3s when the receiver is armed. Good luck
Old 12-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Cool, thanks for all the input!! I have a CC bec, but it's not installed yet (waiting on my castle link), and I have a Tower Pro MG946R, which specifies it's operating voltage as 4.8v-7.2v, so would the best way be to wire the CC bec into the receiver and set it to 7.2v, or leave the receiver to operate from the ESC's bec, and directly wire the CC bec to the steering servo?

The easiest way I imagine would be to wire it as per the CC bec instructions.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traikun View Post
Cool, thanks for all the input!! I have a CC bec, but it's not installed yet (waiting on my castle link), and I have a Tower Pro MG946R, which specifies it's operating voltage as 4.8v-7.2v, so would the best way be to wire the CC bec into the receiver and set it to 7.2v, or leave the receiver to operate from the ESC's bec, and directly wire the CC bec to the steering servo?

The easiest way I imagine would be to wire it as per the CC bec instructions.
Wire your BEC into powering the Servo only. Run the receiver and lights off the ESC's BEC. Set the BEC to 6.4 if the servo can run to 7.4 I wouldn't run it to its max until you see what it does lower first. Good luck
Old 12-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

The problem with 3s is with the overall Watt output of the ESC's BEC. Harley explained it in another thread but my mind fails me at this time. I think this is the jist if it:
If you run an external BEC, all the stress is taken off the internal BEC which allows the receiver to receive proper voltage at all times to avoid browning out.

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I found this in the "beginners guide"

"
Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
Bec can only do a fixed amount of wattage. The equation for watts is volts x amps. So as volts go up, the amps must come down to equal the same wattage. I think.....

Old 12-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
The problem with 3s is with the overall Watt output of the ESC's BEC. Harley explained it in another thread but my mind fails me at this time. I think this is the jist if it:
If you run an external BEC, all the stress is taken off the internal BEC which allows the receiver to receive proper voltage at all times to avoid browning out.

I'm not sure who Harley is, might you be able to find said thread and link me?

I'm torn on whether or not to wire it straight to the servo, or into the Rx. Either way the Rx would only be getting 5v from the ESC or 7.2v max (if I set it to that later, but would probably set it lower initially as indicated above) from the CC bec. The ESC regardless will get the full brunt of a 3s battery. Hmm.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:58 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

When using a BEC you disconnect the red wire from the connector that hooks the ESC to the receiver. The BEC will power the receiver now.
I read it in the wraith beginners guide. The stuff I wrote above was on page 5 or 6 I believe.

axial ae2 esc 3s does it really work? longterm ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to waterproof your AE2 ESC, AR2 Receiver and LED light board. noremacyug Electronics 9 07-09-2013 11:54 AM
AE2 ESC issue aircruiser Electronics 8 12-10-2011 11:34 AM
AE2 ESC issues chopan84 Electronics 10 09-26-2011 11:39 AM
Castle Field Link work with AE2? fortysixandtwo Electronics 9 07-22-2011 01:03 PM
ae2 esc dracbec Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 04-17-2011 11:40 AM