Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Drag brake and reverse gone after mild crash, any advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Drag brake and reverse gone after mild crash, any advice?

The car: Gmade R1 with 4WS and DIG, running a Holmes 27 turn with 12T pinion, controlled by a Gmade (unknown brand?) RTR ESC that uses a jumper to select Drag Brake yes/no function, and Sanwa RX472 RX. Car was running perfect prior to crash.

The incident: Let my young nephew hold the Airtronics M12 receiver. (Shoulda had it turned off - my bad) He floored the throttle in reverse for about 8 feet and ran into a tire on a parked car on the street. It wasn't overly fast, but once the crawler was jammed under the real car's tire he had the throttle pegged in reverse until I took the transmitter from him.

The aftermath: No visible damage at all, however reverse is no longer working, and the drag brake doesn't work at all either. Forward works fine. I'm getting signal at the RX and ESC responds with the correct LED patterns for forward, reverse in both partial and full trigger. No trims were changed at the transmitter, and the servo profiles all look the same as when setting up the car.

Advice?

- I have a new Holmes ESC I was planning to install, but was hoping to try and de-bug the issues with the current installed ESC. That is probably the sure fire way to solve this but I hate throwing soemthing away that might have an easy fix I'm overlooking...

Last edited by Thinkcooper; 11-26-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Thinkcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Drag brake and reverse gone after mild crash, any advice?

Give it a good burial, yours lasted for a bit
I put a BLE in and never looked back

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Looks like the Tx has external trim buttons. Overlooked? Kids always hit those. After that I'd look into motor connections and soldering. Brush springs and brushes.. Trying to help but idk about electronics. I know to start with the easy stuff first though!
LokisTyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Give it a good burial, yours lasted for a bit
I put a BLE in and never looked back

Hang up and Drive
Wasn't expecting a Saturday soldering party, but it is what it is... Hard to imagine a slight impact would screw up the ESC's internal circuitry, but I guess it's possible. I might open up the Gmade RTR ESC case after everything is running with the BLE installed just to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokisTyro View Post
Looks like the Tx has external trim buttons. Overlooked? Kids always hit those. After that I'd look into motor connections and soldering. Brush springs and brushes.. Trying to help but idk about electronics. I know to start with the easy stuff first though!
Good input - I'd gone through trim, both mechanical on the TX itself, and in the subtrim settings in it's software just to be sure all was good. It was. :-( Was hoping a little tweak would bring it back to life.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I suspect a component leg came unsoldered. With the leds correct it is usually a mechanical failure rather than component failure

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 02:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I suspect a component leg came unsoldered. With the leds correct it is usually a mechanical failure rather than component failure

Hang up and Drive
I'd suspect the same. Probably a bad solder connection internally - the Gmade RTR ESC is a pretty cheap looking unit. A new Holmes BLE Pro is installed and everything works just fine now.

Drag brake and reverse gone after mild crash, any advice? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin rs gen2 drag brake in reverse only HELP Blinkfan5150 Electronics 4 04-01-2016 02:01 PM
FXR no drag brake in reverse hatefulboy Electronics 2 06-28-2015 01:15 AM
No drag brake in reverse! Tgreer Electronics 11 09-02-2011 11:42 PM
No Drag Brake In Reverse? notez2beat Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 1 05-06-2011 10:41 PM