Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushless setup for my bomber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Brushless setup for my bomber?

Hi all,

Been toying with the idea of going a brushless setup in my bomber. I currently run 3S on an AE-5 esc and a 35t axial rebuildable motor (that i just burned up).

Main driving of my bomber is trail and some crawling. the 35t brushed motor did a damn good job at crawling, trail, sometimes a lil more wheelspin was needed. Currently running a 27t brushed motor but im pretty sure its gonna get too hot pushing the bomber around.

Debating on switching over to a brushless setup and wondering what is out there these days?

Im not looking to break the bank but would like something that is waterproof.

Anyways links would be greatly appreciated.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Brushless setup for my bomber?

Waterproofed? Here ya go - Holmes Hobbies - not cheap, but among the best you can get:

Home

They do offer a waterproofing service for other manufacturers products - with certain limitations.

There aren't many factory-waterproofed crawler-specific brushless systems.
durok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yeah... holms stuff looks sweet but im not going for 250 bucks worth of motor and esc for a car i dont often use. Simply trying to get a setup similar in speed to a 27t brushed motor and esc combo.

SkyRC has a sensored 17.5t 1850kv brushless setup but its not waterproof unfortunately.

Does a sensored brushless motor have components that need waterproofing (the sensors) or is it all hall effect closed in stuff.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

A few options, 1. get a different esc and put in a 21t titan 550 can (you will burn up that ae5 with the 21t titan). Its more torque and speed and cheapest option. 2. Get a cheaper sensored setup and waterproof yourself. MG chemical sells the conformal coating you need. They also have isopropyl alcohol (its 99%) to clean the board before you apply the conformal coating (personal preference). Watch YouTube videos on how to apply it to esc and motor.

Example video (that's the conformal coating you need, if you have a frys electronics they sell it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw-ySdmt9cw
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thats kind of what i was thinking, but what cheaper sensored setup should i go with?

Like stated there is the skyrc cheetah .. or hobbywing stuffs.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:06 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I would get a MMP and maybe a hobbywing 3656sd 3400kv. On ebay, a mmp is $105 bucks (or go to power hobbys .com and use power10 for 10% off making it cheaper) and motor is $71.99 bucks. You could go cheaper but this will be a legit setup for a decent price.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:29 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

im looking like 2500kv MAX.... 27t brushed motors are around 2000ishKV and that is already too quick for the bomber IMO.

UGGGH... i didnt want to drop serious coin on the motor upgrade.... But damn it would be nice to just have it work.

What are some good sensored ECS's out of the box that are waterproof.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Get something sensored. Im running hobbywing 1/8 sensored esc with a 2400kv blaze. Still to fast even geared low w/2 speed. Buy two of everything when you start breaking things, because you will.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
WillWorkForAlumParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #9

Look into HobbyWing. They make amazing products at great prices. if not there is always HobbyWing. They make budget products that, in my experience, have always been durable.

This HobbyWing ESC for $56 would be a good choice IMO.
http://www.hobbywingdirect.com/produ...-pro-esc-black

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 11-30-2016 at 01:55 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Whelp i ended up going with a turnigy trakstar 17.5t 1870kv motor and a hobbyking 80A ESC. like 78 bucks shipped. figured what the hell give it a try and it should be fairly easy to waterproof.

Ill let yall know how i like it when it gets here!
Old 11-30-2016, 03:09 PM   #11

1870kV is awfully slow. What size is the motor?
Old 11-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

1870kv is 27t brushed motor territory which is about as fast as i want to go in my bomber... i originally had a 35t brushed motor in it and it was plenty fast for my needs

540 sized 1870kv motor, id be able to gear up if i wanted more speed. Solid axles and locked diffs just are not gonna be a fun car at speed imo
Old 12-01-2016, 06:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
1870kv is 27t brushed motor territory which is about as fast as i want to go in my bomber... i originally had a 35t brushed motor in it and it was plenty fast for my needs

540 sized 1870kv motor, id be able to gear up if i wanted more speed. Solid axles and locked diffs just are not gonna be a fun car at speed imo
A fast Bomber is very fun. It would probably surprise you. It handles much better than it probably should.

Is that motor 4-pole? It will be interesting to see how that motor does in your Bomber. I'm just concerned it might not be up to the task of getting a Bomber to crawl without being underpowered and/or overheating.

I had a Tekin ROC412 3100kV motor in my Bomber. I think that was the perfect combo of crawling speed and fun "bashing" speed suitable for the trails. Tekin states "The 3100kV 412 gives 3S LiPo / 35T brushed crawler speeds". I now have Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 3500kV motor with an 11T pinion and I think it could still be tamed down somewhat.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

You got a PP 3500? Still running with the MMX?
Old 12-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
You got a PP 3500? Still running with the MMX?
Yes, sir. That's what's in my Bomber now. I kept the PP in because it's waterproof whereas the ROC412 is not.

I got the PP to test with the MMX to see if the ROC412 was causing the cogging. That wasn't the case. Both cogged on the MMX until I got the pre-release firmware from Castle. But, as I said on my Bomber thread, this update caused other issues.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Wow... Hoping you get sorted, and that my MMX and new PP3500 (using instead of the 2200 I initially got) function as they should. Majority of users here don't have issues with that combo... Fingers crossed! ��
Old 12-01-2016, 11:12 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
A fast Bomber is very fun. It would probably surprise you. It handles much better than it probably should.

Is that motor 4-pole? It will be interesting to see how that motor does in your Bomber. I'm just concerned it might not be up to the task of getting a Bomber to crawl without being underpowered and/or overheating.

I had a Tekin ROC412 3100kV motor in my Bomber. I think that was the perfect combo of crawling speed and fun "bashing" speed suitable for the trails. Tekin states "The 3100kV 412 gives 3S LiPo / 35T brushed crawler speeds". I now have Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 3500kV motor with an 11T pinion and I think it could still be tamed down somewhat.
From the handling characteristics with the 27/35t brushed motor.... much faster its out of the question. I guess i could lower it a little bit but i like crawling more and thus a need for ground clearance.

Worst case the motor is too slow and im out all of 30 bucks for the motor.

I want to say the motor is a 2 pole btw.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #18

Quote:
From the handling characteristics with the 27/35t brushed motor.... much faster its out of the question. I guess i could lower it a little bit but i like crawling more and thus a need for ground clearance.

Worst case the motor is too slow and im out all of 30 bucks for the motor.

I want to say the motor is a 2 pole btw.
The Trackstar motors are great. I use them in my bashers and even raced with them. Even if it doesn't work in the Bomber you can use it in something else.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

FYI been running the hobbywing 80a x-car esc and the trackstar 17.5t 1870kv motor and its a god damn hoot. Motor gets decently warm after just beating on it for an entire hr n 20 mins straight, but not enough to cause too much worry. PLENTY of wheel spin for climbs.

ESC doesnt even get hot to the touch even without the fan attached!
Old 02-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #20

Quote:
FYI been running the hobbywing 80a x-car esc and the trackstar 17.5t 1870kv motor and its a god damn hoot. Motor gets decently warm after just beating on it for an entire hr n 20 mins straight, but not enough to cause too much worry. PLENTY of wheel spin for climbs.

ESC doesnt even get hot to the touch even without the fan attached!

Using the 2 speed also? or stock?
RCJunkie4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushless setup for my bomber? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bomber gets dual shock setup NitritedCarbide Axial RR10 Bomber 9 03-17-2016 02:22 PM
Bomber setup sheet? terrible Axial RR10 Bomber 1 02-13-2016 02:40 PM