Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BlueBird Servos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default BlueBird Servos

Anybody have experience with either of the bluebird servos listed here. Specs look very promising and I'm intrigued by the helical cut gears of the first one.
for 1/8 Crawler Off-road Monster #BLS-H50B, ,(BLS-H50B) by Blue Bird Full Aluminum Helical Brushless Digital Servo
Or
for 1/10 Offroad RC #BLS-42A, ,(BLS-42A) by Blue Bird Full Aluminum Titanium Gears High Voltage Digital Brushless Servo

I've narrowed my search down to these 2. I was waiting for the promodler 420v4 to come back in stock but they are hard to come by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: BlueBird Servos

A quick search pulled up a couple of threads:

Blue Bird HV servo

Bluebird H50B Servo 798.7 oz-in

Bluebird servos seem to be rather hit and miss... a lot of polarizing opinions on them.
I'm all for trying new things/brands, however I've been down that road before with servos and have had nothing but issues, so I stick with either Hitec, Futaba or Savox for my servos.
sabo308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If it looks too good to be true...

I got burned by an h50b. What an expensive piece of desk bling. 2nd gear pin broke and killed the 2nd gear. Then my friend installed his h50b and the electronics were DOA so I gave him my broken servo and a pin out of an old solar servo. His is working fine but my savox sb2290 sg stomps a mud hole in it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I think every servo in existence has been broken by someone on this forum. I agree with others, the Bluebirds look like they have 'issues'. Since the Promodeler is not available I'd say get a Holmes HV500. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Holmes center pin issue has been addressed and is no longer a problem (I replaced mine before it broke). Maslin, who busted a HB50 in less than an hour, swears by Savox 1283. He has broken a few(?) cases but they're cheap to replace.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The H50B is supposedly getting updated for the middle pin issue.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
The H50B is supposedly getting updated for the middle pin issue.
If they fixed the issue it would be a decent servo. Not great and certainly not an 800 oz is going to come out of it but it will be decent for the $120 I paid for my broken turd.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
If they fixed the issue it would be a decent servo. Not great and certainly not an 800 oz is going to come out of it but it will be decent for the $120 I paid for my broken turd.

The hb50 is $84 on rcmart. I've had the Holmes servo that runs on 3's in my cart numerous times but haven't pulled the trigger. Primarily because not enough people have posted up good results with it. I read they updated the center pin. I have all the faith in the world that Holmes will fix the issue but don't want to buy something from amain that is potentially old stock. I currently run a savox 1230 and it works fine but I have to say the noise it puts off is like nails on a chalk board to me. Seems like there is a plethora of $150+ servos out there that folks swear by but I just have a hard time pulling the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I felt the same when I first started this hobby but now, I'll dish out the $150 for a servo with high torque and can take a beating. Nothing worse then a servo failing because you cheaped out. Plus you end up paying more in the long run since you'll need to replace the cheaper servo's.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Google "benefit of helical cut gears"

None of them apply to the inside of a 1/10 scale servo. The ball bearings they advertise as some hugely beneficial upgrade are not an upgrade at all. Ball bearings are required with helical gears, they exert outward force when turning.

Check out the servo thread in the Bomber section, lots of info in there.

Avoid the bluebird, it's a shiny $120 shelf ornament for me as well. Never even bothered sending it in for warranty, I won't waste my time installing the new one.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote

BlueBird Servos - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bluebird servos??? eyeopenher Electronics 12 01-18-2011 03:41 PM
Bluebird servos indianacrawler Electronics 10 12-09-2005 06:46 PM
bluebird servos bhamb2 Electronics 7 03-15-2005 08:36 AM
Bluebird servos are the biggest pieces of crap in history..dont ever buy one AdamF Electronics 12 02-15-2005 03:08 PM
those high torque bluebird servos Heavy Electronics 8 11-21-2004 11:38 PM