Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spartan Buggy Electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Spartan Buggy Electronics

Hi everyone, my name is Nick and I have a build (please see build thread address in signature block) in the Axial Wraith forum. I am at a point where I would like to put a serious power plant between the frame rails, but needed to ask a few questions first.

A years ago, I smoked an ESC (the factory one) and went to my local hobby shop to buy a new one. The nice gentleman behind the counter talked me in to buying a matching brushless ESC / Motor combo. Being new to the hobby, I went for it.
A week before deploying to Afghanistan, my son and I set out to replace the smoked ESC and install the new motor. Everything went great. I checked and double checked all connections, and when we went to connect the battery (2S Venom), we instantly saw the magic smoke escaping from the ESC. We never got to turn the wheels / tires.

Fast forward to now, I've deployed a few more times, and spent money on factory Axial ESC's and motors just to get it out on the trail. Well I am in the market for a new ESC / Motor, and I have held on to the Novak components I bought. I figured that maybe the motor is still good, and I can just buy a sensored ESC? That is why I am posting here.

Please let me know what you all would do. I would like to surprise my son with a Ramjet 502 the next time I see him. The factory LS1's (Axial 27T / AE-5) have been fun, but we are looking for one and done at this point. Plenty of power but plenty of control. I know for my next buggy I'll be buying Castles components because I like the idea of being able to program my throttle / power curves. But that is for another thread.

Thank you all.

Pics of Novak stuff
Attached Images

dondraper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2017, 05:15 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Spartan Buggy Electronics

Ah you let the smoke outta her...

That Novak motor is a great way to start, if you're looking for an esc check out your local listings on CL or what you guys use in the USA. If you can find a Castle Mamba Max Pro, it's an excellent sensored esc, although it is not waterproof and the internal BEC is mediocre. If you have the cash and want to put DFI on that 502, Castle released the Mamba X not too long ago. Much Better than the MMP as it comes waterproof, has a better internal BEC, and a few other cool features.

I'm currently in the process of building my SCX10, got a MMP and a SkyRC S-pro4 on 3s. It has ridiculous power... I'd say too much, but that would be un-American.
RaceMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Spartan Buggy Electronics

I run one of those motors in my 1.9 Wraith. Runs excellent and very powerful on 2S! Well worth keeping.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Spartan Buggy Electronics - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC Command Spartan Buggy build dondraper25 Axial Wraith 54 08-29-2017 08:28 PM
R1 Rock Buggy electronics?? Cole Moore G-Made Crawlers 5 10-04-2010 09:50 PM
R1 rock buggy electronics being used Newbie74 G-Made Crawlers 2 07-07-2010 07:32 AM