Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Futaba 4PV vs Spektrum DX5R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #1

Default Futaba 4PV vs Spektrum DX5R

Howdy.

I'm after a new Tx, I have a CC Mamba X and I like FPV on a crawler. Telemetry add-ons for both Futaba and Spek, are a rout. The Mamba X supports everything I need, basically just Batt V and maybe temp.

Futaba 4PV Pro:
Range
Quality feel (from what I've ready and been told)
Cheaper Rx, + maybe S-FHSS compatibles

Spektrum DX5R Pro:
5Ch
Larger LCD 3.5" vs 3.3"
More ergonomic options OOTB
Easy FW Upgrade
Easy Model DL/Backup
Possibly works with Mamba telemetry.
Cheaper ($25) for me.
Has AVC, I'm curious.

Futaba 4PV Con:
Need to buy an CIU3 to update, WTF! + $45
4Ch
Does not support Mamba X telemetry
US$25 more expensive for me

Spektrum DX5R Con:
Supposedly feels cheap
Some say it they have range issues, but generally 1/2 S-FHSS
Button battery cover has screws, WTF!
More expensive Rx

I have a DX9 for my quads which hasn't given me any issues.

What y'all reckon?

Last edited by raybies_AU; 07-10-2017 at 06:49 AM.
raybies_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Futaba 4PV vs Spektrum DX5R

I really like my DX5R, it is one of those radios that is so comfortable, you almost forget you are holding it. It does not feel as heavy as other radios in its class, perhaps that is where the "feels cheap" comments are coming from.

Range Issues: Have not noticed any, pretty much, if I can see my RC I can control it.

Battery Door: Yes, it is annoying.

RXs: The Spektrum DSMR RXs are pricey, the 2-ch starts at around $30, and the 4-ch is around $60. You can find two-packs of 3-ch DSM2 RXs on Amazon for around $30, I have a set of these and they have worked pretty well.

Overall, I like the radio, having 3 aux channels is cool, but can be confusing if you don't set every RC up the same way (winch on the same button). I have made a template in Power Point for recording my switch/channel assignments and save one for each RC; I save them as PDF files, them send them to my phone, give me a quick reference if I get confused.

I have not used any of Futaba's recent radio offerings, but the radios I have had have been very tough. My biggest complaint, and reason for moving to Spektrum was how difficult they were to program.

Last edited by Greatscott; 07-10-2017 at 07:05 AM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:31 PM   #3

Thanks Greatscott for your feedback.

I think the DX5R definitely represents better value, but I ended up ordering the 4PV, just bcos I've never owned a Futaba, and ultimately it's a broad range of experience which helps define what you like and don't... and the 2 different hobby store reps which said hands down the 4PV.

One said you won't know what you're missing until you try it, and then go to a DX5R.

The other said; the 4PV is just a much better quality product and finish, and made an automotive analogy about Mercedes.

I have a DX9 and the menus/options are very similar, so I'm trying the Futaba, I sure hope the menus aren't like the JR Propo XG8 I had (hated it). If the DX5R had 2 digital dials (gimbal control), I would have gone with it.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

At the end of the day, if your new radio puts a smile on your face, it was the right one to buy.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #5

Btw, I got a message from Castle about telemetry and the DX5R...

Unfortunately the Castle Spektrum Telemetry Link will not work with the Spektrum DX5R; or any of the Spektrum surface radios. For the Telemetry Link and Castle Link Live protocol to work with a radio, the radio must have the correct programming. Spektrum has chosen not to include Telemetry Link support on their surface radios; this was not our decision and is completely dependent on the radio manufacturer to support the link.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:33 PM   #6

So I've been using the 4PV for the past 2 weeks and while I've got no complaints I wish it had a 3 way switch or at least 1 more toggle switch, and a way to control the speed of either ch3 or 4, it does it for ch1 & 2.

I also had a chance to use the DX5R, and I can tell y'all the only real quality improvement the 4PV has is the screen. The 4PV has a nicer white led screen vs the old school screen backlighting of the DX5R.
The DX5R has a MUCH nicer presentation/box, my 4PV came in a Chinese back alley horrible/cheap box and it was even dusty inside.

My impressed level was a 3 when I opened the 4PV, whereas my level was a 7 with the DX5R (in-store when I bought a buggy).

Also for US buyers, the Asia SKU comes with 2 Rx for the same price, so it's really $40 cheaper. I got the US SKU from Amain and it's missing the 2nd Rx bcos Futaba USA takes it out to sell to you again.

Tags
futaba 4pv, mamba x, spektrum dx5r, telemetry

Futaba 4PV vs Spektrum DX5R - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spektrum DX5R Greatscott Electronics 6 02-26-2018 06:53 AM
spektrum dx5r anyone? cartronicshn Electronics 8 04-18-2017 07:28 PM
New Spektrum DX5R 5-Channel Radio - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 03-29-2017 05:14 PM
Futaba 4PV? Drm31078 Electronics 8 11-15-2016 12:47 PM