Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: LIHV batteries.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default LIHV batteries.

So I've searched around and found limited I about them. Anyone care to share some knowledge?

Are they safer than LIPO?
Do they require a different charger?
Is it true they are smaller and lighter?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #2

Default Re: LIHV batteries.

It's still a LiPo.

Yes, you need a special charger. If you use a standard LiPo charger you aren't getting the performance you spent the extra money on.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
So I've searched around and found limited I about them. Anyone care to share some knowledge?

Are they safer than LIPO?
Do they require a different charger?
Is it true they are smaller and lighter?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Safer I dont know (dont think so though)

Special charger .... heh not really IF you can program your charger's peak cut off. My bench charger I use for my crawler stuff peaks them at roughly 4.20-4.22 per cell.

LIHV packs are higher then that so you wont be getting a full charge into them. My race charger I can program my per cell peak so it could/would fully charge LIHV pack
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

For what I have read they are less likely to puff and they have a longer lifespan when they are charged to regular lipo voltage so they are technically safer. If you want to get the maximum voltage you may need a different charger. I don't know about size or weight.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I've heard of several manufactures making LIHV packs but recommending charging them on chargers that only do 4.2v/cell. The idea is that charging up to the limit is very hard on the cells. So only charging to 4.2v/cell means that the packs will last longer and puff up less. Also they have a shallower discharge rate, they they lose less voltage until right near the cutoff. This means that your pack voltage stays higher until the end of the run and you get more consistent power. Not as big of a deal on crawlers, but in racing I've seen people fail to make jumps when their pack starts to get low.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Reality/page2

Here is a good read on LiHV batteries.
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Reality/page2

Here is a good read on LiHV batteries.
lol look at post #28 in that link. shows what battery companies are lying about.

on another note.. aren't you guys talking about the graphine lipo batts? they have been out for awhile now. imho if you want higher voltage just go to a 3s, or 4s for some of you crazies.. WT lol

I don't see any benefit to using a lihv battery. not even for racing. for instance.. "stock blinky 17.5" offroad class racers can turn just as fast of a lap as some of the mod guys.

any faster and I think we need to consider 17.5 a mod class for offroad. 17.5 onroad is almost uncontrollable nowadays..

so in conclusion why do we need more voltage? I could see going up 5 turns on a brushed motor and dropping the gearing down a little bit more and using the lihv battery to gain the speed back.. but if the scaler guys are jumping gaps.. don't they need to revert back to comp trucks? im not here to start an argument, just wondering why people want these batts in their rc crawlers? just go up 1s imho.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:32 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
lol look at post #28 in that link. shows what battery companies are lying about.

on another note.. aren't you guys talking about the graphine lipo batts? they have been out for awhile now. imho if you want higher voltage just go to a 3s, or 4s for some of you crazies.. WT lol

I don't see any benefit to using a lihv battery. not even for racing. for instance.. "stock blinky 17.5" offroad class racers can turn just as fast of a lap as some of the mod guys.

any faster and I think we need to consider 17.5 a mod class for offroad. 17.5 onroad is almost uncontrollable nowadays..

so in conclusion why do we need more voltage? I could see going up 5 turns on a brushed motor and dropping the gearing down a little bit more and using the lihv battery to gain the speed back.. but if the scaler guys are jumping gaps.. don't they need to revert back to comp trucks? im not here to start an argument, just wondering why people want these batts in their rc crawlers? just go up 1s imho.
I have no desire for these. I don't think they are worth it. I'm planning to step up to 4s in my wraith. I'll gear it down slightly if I need to. I'll run 3s for crawling and 4s for playing faster.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
I have no desire for these. I don't think they are worth it. I'm planning to step up to 4s in my wraith. I'll gear it down slightly if I need to. I'll run 3s for crawling and 4s for playing faster.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My Wraith already in Revolectrix 4s LiHV Battery now, paired with Robinson Racing 14T pinion and 56T Spur. It was too fast for my styles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:53 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
I've heard of several manufactures making LIHV packs but recommending charging them on chargers that only do 4.2v/cell. The idea is that charging up to the limit is very hard on the cells.
Sounds like one could almost make a case for the cheap chargers that overcharge! lol But seriously, we could get cheaper IMAX chargers & similar clones which let you adjustable voltage settings so an indicated 4.20v is actually 4.30v. Even if you do only charge to 4.20v, a higher avg voltage would still allow for a higher avg motor speed.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

LIHV batteries. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LIHV cells crazee horse Electronics 5 01-28-2017 04:26 PM
Turnigy Bolt LIHV battery? Lordtuna Newbie General 6 03-10-2016 07:27 PM
Two batteries. 505tj Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 01-20-2011 03:20 PM