Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle Slate 3800 for crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Castle Slate 3800 for crawling

Hey guys well I think I jumped the gun on ordering a new brushless set up for my Wraith. I ordered the Mamba X and 3800 slate set up, I'm using it for crawling/bashing. My Wraith is my class 3 rig(our class 3 class isnt overly competitive at the moment) and I was looking for more control while crawling. I ordered the 3800 system because I wanted good wheel speed still for bashing but I getting cogging while trying to crawl with it. Been playing with the settings its betterish but not as controlled as I want it to be.

Did I pretty much just screw up by ordering the wrong motor? Will the cogging hurt things? Its drivable and crawlable for sure but I guess I just wanted a bit smoother control down low. Deciding if I should try to sell or trade this motor off to replace it with a lower kv one.

I have it geared way down 9t pinion on a 32p set and its a little slower than I'd like, maybe I'm just asking too much as far as crawl and speed all in one.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #2

Default Re: Castle Slate 3800 for crawling

Did you update your Mamba X to the newest firmware? I had lots of cogging issues on my MMX with the older firmware.

3800kV is kinda hot for a dedicated crawling rig. I would have gone lower, but you should be able to get it to have smooth control.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yea its on the 2.02 or what ever, I will double check that for sure when I get home though. But yea like I said its able to crawl I guess I was expecting a little better down low control but thats probably because of my motor selection. Another guy in my group has a lower KV set up I'll have to try his and see if its worth making the switch or not. His seemed very smooth from watching, maybe it'll feel different driving.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Yea its on the 2.02 or what ever, I will double check that for sure when I get home though. But yea like I said its able to crawl I guess I was expecting a little better down low control but thats probably because of my motor selection. Another guy in my group has a lower KV set up I'll have to try his and see if its worth making the switch or not. His seemed very smooth from watching, maybe it'll feel different driving.
There are some settings in the firmware you can use to smooth out the startup. John Holmes suggested them on this site somewhere, but I wouldn't remember where to find them. I think I remember him saying he likes startup power at 100%. That way you control the startup rather than let the ESC struggle with less than full power.

What spur gear are you using?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Cool I'll look into that thanks. I'm not 100% sure on spur size I'm thinking about as large as you can get with 32p gears but I don't recall the tooth count off hand.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'd definitely try the tweaks already mentioned. You can also try to gear down as much as possible maybe a 9t pinion with a 60+ tooth spur gear. Although a lot of that may help it's still going to be a 3800Kv motor.
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Yea for reference I was running the non sensored 3800 4 pole sct set up and was using that to crawl... So yea this is much better but far from a brushed motor.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm using the castle 3800kv 1410 in my wraith and it crawls pretty good, it doesn't cog and it's plenty fast. 32p gears 12t pinion and 56t spur on 3s. It does get kinda warm, I would like to see two of the same trucks one with 3800kv slate and the other with Roc412HD motor and see the difference.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #9

What top speed are u looking for? I have a 3500kv holmes puller pro and it has very good low speed control and it tops out at about 20mph in a bomber with stock gearing. I also own a 16t crawlmaster and the pp isnt as good as the crawlmaster but it is pretty close. If i were you I would try to mess around with the settings, Set a longer throttle curve, and gear down more and go up to 4s (if you are already on 3s) to keep desired top speed.
Megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:33 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I'm on 3s currently I see that they only rate the 3800 to 3s the lower kv are up to 4s... I should have prob went with lower kv and ran 4s would probably do everything I want. I originally had a 13t pinion on it and it was horrible, 9 made it better. And as far as top speed nothing crazy but I like to rock bounce it and jump it off things so enough to get some hang time.

Castle Slate 3800 for crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bearings for castle 1410 3800 sec1083 Electronics 9 06-08-2012 09:49 PM
castle creations sct 3800 crawler nub Non Crawler RC's 4 03-31-2011 08:26 PM