Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Scx10 -45t integy no power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Scx10 -45t integy no power

Looks like they used the same can for both style motors...only choice left is to bump up to 3s or get another 27t motor for your 2s battery
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2018, 12:11 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
Looks like they used the same can for both style motors...only choice left is to bump up to 3s or get another 27t motor for your 2s battery
3S on the stock ESC a good idea?
Thought there were issues doing that... I'd still try a different ESC regardless of the "terrible advice", not going to hurt any trying it and the 1080 is cheap and proven.
35T would also be fine with stock gearing on 2S or 3S, can't see why 45T would be so different...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:36 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

A 45t on 2s is a pig....been there done that. If the stock ESC is an AE5, then 3s is no issue. I have used the 1080wp and it is good, but if the stock ESC was ok with the 27t, then it will be fine with the 45t. Why replace it thinking it will make the 45t magically start working better? It wont. That money would be better spent on a 35t or a 3s lipo.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:03 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Cads View Post
3S on the stock ESC a good idea?
Thought there were issues doing that... I'd still try a different ESC regardless of the "terrible advice", not going to hurt any trying it and the 1080 is cheap and proven.
35T would also be fine with stock gearing on 2S or 3S, can't see why 45T would be so different...

I run 3s on a stock ESC no problem. I went to 3s for the same reason; dropped in a 35t and it seemed to lose all power. Lowered the gears in the rear and it helped, but not enough

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
tda271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:24 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

I think the concerning thing here is the OP's statement this truck won't even go up a slight incline with the new can, stock gearing and stock ESC. I'm no expert here but there's no way the stock gearing (56:13?) should need tinkering with when matched to a 45T motor to get up a slight incline, even on 2S when compared to a 27T motor should there? Bung a 10t pinion in to see if that helps perhaps? If you don't have one then, https://www.amazon.com/Hardened-32P-.../dp/B0047YOV78

As stated I'm no expert so this one has me intrigued to see what's going to fix the issue!

Old 05-14-2018, 06:31 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I think the concerning thing here is the OP's statement this truck won't even go up a slight incline with the new can, stock gearing and stock ESC. I'm no expert here but there's no way the stock gearing (56:13?) should need tinkering with when matched to a 45T motor to get up a slight incline, even on 2S when compared to a 27T motor should there? Bung a 10t pinion in to see if that helps perhaps? If you don't have one then, https://www.amazon.com/Hardened-32P-.../dp/B0047YOV78

As stated I'm no expert so this one has me intrigued to see what's going to fix the issue!

This. It just stalls out on stuff it didnt before.. and before it had a shitty worn out 27t motor.

The rig is my roommates. The reason he went 45t is cuz he bought 2.2 mud slinger xl (i told him not to).

I figured with a 45t and 3s he would be fine. He currently is waiting on the aluminum beadlocks and tires and was just messing with it as is

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Hondarider94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:32 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
A 45t on 2s is a pig....been there done that. If the stock ESC is an AE5, then 3s is no issue. I have used the 1080wp and it is good, but if the stock ESC was ok with the 27t, then it will be fine with the 45t. Why replace it thinking it will make the 45t magically start working better? It wont. That money would be better spent on a 35t or a 3s lipo.
He has the stock axial esc the non waterproof one. Is that the ae5

Old 05-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Just throwing this out because I did not see it discussed... How are you setting the mesh? Also, does the motor sound right when it is not installed? Have you checked your drive train to make sure it is free-rolling?

Yes, Intigy is synonymous with "crap", however, I have found their motors to be a very good brushed option. 45T has always been a tad slow for me, I have found that 35T motors tend to offer the right amount of torque vs speed for how I like driving.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:10 AM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Gear mesh is fine. Used the old trick of running paper through it. Didnt eat the paper up.
Drive line is free.

Guess ill just have to gear down and volt up?

Old 05-14-2018, 07:43 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Non waterproof ESC(?) And running in water may have an effect... But, yes, have a go at gearing just in case

Old 05-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Ive had the brusshess stick in the can and cause that exsact same problem my with my gool rc 35t can i swi5ched to a 45t novack and had the same.issues brusshes stuck in the can alittle corrosion x fixed th3 issue for me min3 ran but wouldent crawl over a stick but now its billy goat power for days they were fine out of the car but wouldent run in the rig after alittle cleaning and lubing its all good

Clean and lube it its worth a try its free and easy

Last edited by ferp420; 05-14-2018 at 08:02 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

I agree on 3S with the stock Axial ESC. It'll be fine. As far as the motor, the only thing I could think is to thoroughly inspect the brushes. Possibly hanging on the comm? Check the comm surface as well. Seems strange that even with stock axle gearing and 2S it's wheezing out on even slight inclines. Short of that, it's possible you just got a bad motor.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Non waterproof ESC(?) And running in water may have an effect... But, yes, have a go at gearing just in case

Nope. Not a water issue. As i stated it worked better with the old motor.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
I agree on 3S with the stock Axial ESC. It'll be fine. As far as the motor, the only thing I could think is to thoroughly inspect the brushes. Possibly hanging on the comm? Check the comm surface as well. Seems strange that even with stock axle gearing and 2S it's wheezing out on even slight inclines. Short of that, it's possible you just got a bad motor.
Its the ae-2 esc. Ordered a 3s will run it till it burns the esc up

Old 05-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #35
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Your issue is mostly stemming from it being a 45t and throwing taller tires on it, if I read that right. Also being an integy 45t which is pretty poor quality magnets, they really aren't any better than a sealed can motor. I can't quite tell from the photos, but it looks like the timing may be adjustable and negative. Check this by seeing if the motor spins faster in reverse than forwards. Since your stock ESC has a very weak reverse, swap the motor wires and try again to see if you get a different result. Also be sure that you are running the ESC "forwards" so you get better power in a bind. Being that the 27t didn't have an issue, it points to the motor timing, quality, or turn being the culprit.

A 27t on 2s or 3s will produce peak torque. Anything slower will produce less torque and be slower. 35t isn't so bad, probably not a noticeable torque drop. 45t is noticeable. 55t motors are downright dogs if not ran on 4s.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

That notch in the can is just so people don't mess with timing. Just take a razor blade and cut it off the endbell. Usually locked "stock" motors use that notch and metal tangs that bend in to hold it down, but that motor has the inner silver ring & screws to hold it down. Bringing the notch in the can closer to the notch nearest the screw will move the powerband down, moving it to the other side reverses timing. If it's actually being run reverse with negative timing like John suggested, that will reduce power significantly.

The misconception with DC motors is that torque=power, it's actually torque*rpm=power. Higher turn motors don't gain torque as much as they lose rpm, so overall power is diminished. When geared the same, you might see gains in the first 25% of powerband. When geared for the same top speed, the low-turn motor will output a LOT more power.

Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #37
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Higher turn brushed motors actually produce less torque too. They just don't have a low enough resistance to pull the amps needed. Around 27t is basically the goldilocks zone of torque on 2s and 3s. Anything slower or faster makes torque suffer.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Scx10 -45t integy no power - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CC CM5700s vs. Integy 45T? MiddleT Electronics 8 04-28-2009 09:56 PM
Integy 45t or 65t? nova801428 Electronics 19 07-11-2006 05:40 PM