Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo heat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2018, 11:10 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Servo heat

I have a two speed transmission on my project. Been playing with the endpoints to make it shift properly and not overextending the throw in either way. I get no buzzing, humming or vibrating coming from the servo(a good thing), seems to be working correctly. But for some reason the servo heats up pretty fast, is this normal? I don't think so, maybe I'm wrong. The steering servo is perfectly fine, no problems at all with it.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Servo heat

If you're running a BEC, make sure that the output voltage is set low enough for the servo. Otherwise, what two-speed setup? Servo? Aforementioned BEC or ESC?
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:57 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Guess I'm not paying attention to what I'm writing, ready to go home from work. I gave a rc4wd trailfinder2 with the stock 2 speed trans and a cc mamba x system with the internal 8amp bec set at 6v. Maybe I missed a step with the setup in the esc.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

What servo are you using? Analog or digital? Note that analog servos may overheat when plugged into a newer receiver.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
What servo are you using? Analog or digital? Note that analog servos may overheat when plugged into a newer receiver.
At the moment i don't recall the model, hi tec digital servo.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I'm thinking the over heating is caused by one of two things. Either the circuitry inside the servo is faulty or your end points are set a little too wide. I know you said you have adjusted the end points very carefully, so maybe the servo circuit board has a problem.

My suggestion is to remove the servo horn and power up the servo a few minutes and see how warm it gets.
If it gets hot when it isn't doing any work, you will know the servo electronics are the problem.

If it doesn't get hot, connect the servo horn again. If it gets hot now, the servo is trying to move too far so turn down the end point some more.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
I'm thinking the over heating is caused by one of two things. Either the circuitry inside the servo is faulty or your end points are set a little too wide. I know you said you have adjusted the end points very carefully, so maybe the servo circuit board has a problem.

My suggestion is to remove the servo horn and power up the servo a few minutes and see how warm it gets.
If it gets hot when it isn't doing any work, you will know the servo electronics are the problem.

If it doesn't get hot, connect the servo horn again. If it gets hot now, the servo is trying to move too far so turn down the end point some more.
Thanks for the tip, will have to do that. Was kind of thinking the same thing as well. Really excited to get this lady bug worked out, driving me crazy.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

It depends on the circuitry. Some will buzz with the slightest load while others won't buzz when near the stop point but still draw power. If HeyOkay's idea results in a warm servo then it might be bad, otherwise it's your endpoints.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Servo heat - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heat Shrinking - Lighter or Heat Gun? (Is there a DECENT Cordless Heat Gun?) MailManX Newbie General 22 01-30-2014 02:24 PM
Servo Heat RCchomp Electronics 12 12-12-2010 08:57 AM
Servo Heat Sink for JR DS8711 Flynfrog Electronics 5 06-05-2008 11:17 PM
Digital servo heat? Highmark Electronics 9 10-11-2005 11:30 PM
Servo Heat Sink. syco133 Electronics 6 08-11-2005 04:29 PM