Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Purchased a Bat-Safe after witnessing a LiPo fire.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2018, 09:10 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Purchased a Bat-Safe after witnessing a LiPo fire.

I picked up a BAT-SAFE

WHY ?

Well, while Hanging out at my LHS talking with the owner and some employees a lipo that was charging on the counter got angry and let all the smoke out ! ! !

LUCKILY, there were no flames but that battery was blowing smoke out as fast as the fire extinguisher they were using on it. It was hissing like a demonic rabid cat !

They got it in a trash can and ran it out side. Needless to say we all evacuated the store, the fumes were insane and burned the eyes and lungs.

30 minutes later submerged in a 5 gallon bucket of water it was still pissed off and smoking and blowing bubbles !

We all have seen the lipo vids on YouTube, it's not worth risking a house fire to me. From now on I will never ever charge another lipo on the kitchen counter again, It'll be in a lipo bag and then in the Bat-Safe in the garage with the door open from here on out.

Granted, it's rare and most of us will never have a single incident, I've been around long enough to see Murphy lay down the law.

After an hour or so the smoke and chemical fumes left the store, we went back in. I pointed to the Bat-Safe and said "I'll take one of those".

Anyways, this morning I mounted the charger to the Bat-Safe and made up some 8" lead extensions, I also picked up the optional 12" balance leads as well.

Anyways, here are a few snaps.

IMG_1710

IMG_1711

IMG_1712
ScoJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up Re: Purchased a Bat-Safe after witnessing a LiPo fire.

My LHS, The Hobbie Garage in Scottsdale AZ just got these in. They are very well built and sell for around $50 bucks. I always thought my Lipo bag was enough protection but the Bat-Safe takes it to the next level. We all have a considerable amount invested in our hobby so when you think about buying another upgrade part for your rig consider getting one of these. It may just be the best addition you will ever get.
Ragenwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Purchased a Bat-Safe after witnessing a LiPo fire.

They were either no balance charging or trying to bring back a dead LiPo on nimh mode. Either one is stupid, but it surprises me how a whole industry for containers has popped up to deal with stupidity lol.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The problem with lithium fires is that the only thing you can use is a dedicated Lith-X extinguisher. Nothing else is effective so the best thing for hobbyists is a fire-proof container, like the one shown, to stop the fire from causing secondary problems.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
The problem with lithium fires is that the only thing you can use is a dedicated Lith-X extinguisher. Nothing else is effective so the best thing for hobbyists is a fire-proof container, like the one shown, to stop the fire from causing secondary problems.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
Or, ya know, just charge them properly and never worry about it. I’ll charge my lipos on a wood pile stacked with phone books in balance mode all decade long without fear.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
They were either no balance charging or trying to bring back a dead LiPo on nimh mode. Either one is stupid, but it surprises me how a whole industry for containers has popped up to deal with stupidity lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
Or, ya know, just charge them properly and never worry about it. I’ll charge my lipos on a wood pile stacked with phone books in balance mode all decade long without fear.

Preach on!

Even the cheapest chargers will not start or shut down if there is an issue with a cell if they are in balance mode.

I nearly lost it all due to bump charging a dead cell. I have no problem bringing a cell back if it's a but low but only if I'm right there to monitor it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Preach on!

Even the cheapest chargers will not start or shut down if there is an issue with a cell if they are in balance mode.

I nearly lost it all due to bump charging a dead cell. I have no problem bringing a cell back if it's a but low but only if I'm right there to monitor it.
The most dangerous things people do is charge a lipo on NIMH mode. I know its a way to bring back a dead cell, but if you want to start a fire thats likely the easiest way. Just like you said, they add in all sorts of protection to balance mode to make it idiot proof. Listening to Jimmy John at the hobby shop tell you that its safe to fast charge all the time or bring a cell thats at 3v back with NIMH mode is how people burn their houses down lol.

People wouldnt put kerosene in their gas car, its similar for NIMH vs Lipo.

Purchased a Bat-Safe after witnessing a LiPo fire. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rs 10 Lipo safe out of the box? scooter7728 Redcat Crawlers 7 10-10-2012 12:25 AM
hand made keg, fire wood & sleeping bags and purchased items stelerzman Scale Accessories 6 06-20-2011 06:25 PM
Damn, ring of fire! Not totally work safe BTW! BJoe Chit Chat 9 06-27-2010 04:30 PM
safe lipo temperatures??? dieselfuel Electronics 23 07-06-2009 07:11 PM
Super Chicken, Lipo Bat. infamouse_1 Electronics 1 09-15-2008 12:07 AM