Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Receiver/Radio question- lighting issue??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 01:49 PM   #1

Default Receiver/Radio question- lighting issue??

Built a Axial Wraith and have installed a RC4WD light bar and trying to get it to work with my Spectrum DX4c radio and receiver without using a BEC(if at all possible). Have tried to hook it up by using the two AUX channels, but still can't get them to turn on/off. Have the winch hooked to one of the channels and it works as should, but not the lights. I have the lights hooked to one of the AUX channels to provide power, but have to turn them on/off by a separate switch and they are very dim. Long story short, can't turn on/off by radio and are not very bright. What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any and all help and replies. OLD GUY
RC'n OLD GUY! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Receiver/Radio question- lighting issue??

You need a RX Switch for your propose

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The voltage from the receiver is generally around 6v, which is capped by the ESC's Bec output, setting it too high in the ESC can burn out the receiver. and many LED's are configured for 12v.
You could use something like this RX SwitchTurnigy rx switch to control battery power or also put a bec inline to tame your battery power if its too high. If your running 2s, and they are 12v lights, they will be dim. Bout time to get out that volt meter.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 11-09-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Some like the Proline light bar can use 6-12v, surprisingly 6v isn't all that much dimmer. What's really going on is they are fed using the red & black wires. The RX keeps constant power/ground to those, while adjusting the PWM signal on the white. The winch can read that signal, a dumb light bar cannot.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

An old servo can be converted into a RX switch if you dont mind tinkering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pzTqHDY5d0
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You need a lighting controller for on/off function from the Tx. Reach out to Al at HeyOk on the forums here, or go to his online store. I just ordered one of his for a build I'm doing now. Or, you could always just do a simple toggle switch.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #7

Thanks to all that answered and provided suggestions to a fix. Was hoping that I could use one of the channels in my radio, figured it would be an extra switch and/or wiring I would have to add to the build. I like a "tidy" looking truck and was hoping not to clutter it up. Thanks again. OLD GUY!
Old 11-10-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC'n OLD GUY! View Post
Thanks to all that answered and provided suggestions to a fix. Was hoping that I could use one of the channels in my radio, figured it would be an extra switch and/or wiring I would have to add to the build. I like a "tidy" looking truck and was hoping not to clutter it up. Thanks again. OLD GUY!
You can indeed use a channel on your Tx/Rx - you just need a lighting controller. I like tidy wiring as well. Check out the link below to the HeyOk set up I mentioned earlier in the post. It's very small and should allow you to do exactly what you want in terms of on/off function of lighting from your Tx.

https://www.freewebstore.org/heyok-p...3_1630387.aspx
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

No, you cannot control lighting wired up directly from your receiver. The output of the RX is a return (black wire), the bus voltage being supplied to your RX from the BEC (ESC or external)(red center wire), and a digital signal (white wire) that tells the electronics what to do. So, something has to translate those digital signals to control something like lights. For this, I use a Pico Switch (link below), it is fairly compact, easy to use and adjustable; it is basically a RC controlled relay switch.

https://www.dimensionengineering.com...cts/picoswitch

My biggest complaint is that they are not waterproof, and not easily dipped or coated. They need to live in an RX box, for several projects I have added a second RX box to protect stuff like this, and to help tidy up the wiring.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
No, you cannot control lighting wired up directly from your receiver. The output of the RX is a return (black wire), the bus voltage being supplied to your RX from the BEC (ESC or external)(red center wire), and a digital signal (white wire) that tells the electronics what to do. So, something has to translate those digital signals to control something like lights. For this, I use a Pico Switch (link below), it is fairly compact, easy to use and adjustable; it is basically a RC controlled relay switch.

https://www.dimensionengineering.com...cts/picoswitch

My biggest complaint is that they are not waterproof, and not easily dipped or coated. They need to live in an RX box, for several projects I have added a second RX box to protect stuff like this, and to help tidy up the wiring.
Thanks Greatscott, I have researched my issue further and am going to use the Heyok harness, which I feel will serve me well enough. Waterproofing would probably be an issue for me, because I try not to have a crap load of connections and the ones I do have, are sealed with "Shoe Goo" and I usually plastic dip servo's. Again thanks for the suggestion. OLD GUY!

Last edited by RC'n OLD GUY!; 11-13-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
You can indeed use a channel on your Tx/Rx - you just need a lighting controller. I like tidy wiring as well. Check out the link below to the HeyOk set up I mentioned earlier in the post. It's very small and should allow you to do exactly what you want in terms of on/off function of lighting from your Tx.

https://www.freewebstore.org/heyok-p...3_1630387.aspx
Thanks mewalsh 100. I checked the site and found that after sending Al numerous E-mails, I got the DUAL switch controller. So when I receive it, I'll tear my Wraith apart and redo my wiring. Again thanks. OLD GUY!
Old 11-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
You need a RX Switch for your propose

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 2 XL mit Tapatalk
Danke magic_yeti! You are correct and found out the same from other members. Again, danke OLD GUY!
Old 11-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
The voltage from the receiver is generally around 6v, which is capped by the ESC's Bec output, setting it too high in the ESC can burn out the receiver. and many LED's are configured for 12v.
You could use something like this RX SwitchTurnigy rx switch to control battery power or also put a bec inline to tame your battery power if its too high. If your running 2s, and they are 12v lights, they will be dim. Bout time to get out that volt meter.
I haven't stepped-up to LiPo's yet, I run Nimh at this time. Will see with the Heyok switch if my lighting is brighter, if not I'll break out the v-meter. ThanksOLD GUY!

Receiver/Radio question- lighting issue?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lighting issue loosenutz Electronics 1 02-12-2016 11:34 PM
Radio/Receiver Question yoraish Electronics 8 09-08-2012 02:59 AM
HPI TF40 ghz radio and receiver question bro_die Electronics 2 08-15-2012 07:28 AM
please help! question about radio and receiver! rockbound Electronics 4 08-29-2007 05:18 PM