Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Suggestions for splitting power for multiple systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Suggestions for splitting power for multiple systems

I have a rig that needs multiple items powered directly off the battery: 2 holmes servos, bec to run a lighting system, power to a smoke unit, etc.

I usually need one or two taps off the battery so a simple y-split or two gives me enough. In this case I'm getting way too many.

In my head I'm thinking of a terminal strip like I use to have in electrical workshops. Positive and negative leads connect on the end of the block energizing all the terminals. You can simple tap off the block for anything you need powered.

Is there anything like this for rc sized rigs?
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Suggestions for splitting power for multiple systems

You might want to look at something like this. Al's pretty flexible and would probably be willing to work with you to make a Power Distribution Plug with the number of outputs you think you need if his 5 plug unit isn't enough for you. You would also be wise to know the total amps you can draw and make sure a unit like this can handle it.

https://www.freewebstore.org/heyok-p..._19246694.aspx
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Maybe like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Servo-Split...72.m2749.l2649

This little fella can plug into empty receiver port and turns 1 of your 5-6v taps into 5 . Plug another into last slot and you have 9. I'm not sure how many items you could connect - depends on the draw of the items. I use one for multiple LED lighting systems. I have bumper lights in one, Traxxas lighting kit 8038 in another (Traxxas' way to turn truck body lights on/off with receiver power instead of removing body every time), I ran a servo extension wire to rear truck bumper for trailer lights from one, and had 36 COB LED light bar on another for awhile, and still had an empty available.

This is also great for the waterproofing - plug this in receiver once, waterproof receiver box, and don't have to open it up next week to test or add a new goody! Also a US seller, so arrives in 2-4 days.
vf750rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

That JST plug distribution from HeyOK is nice - I hadn't seen that before. I'll have to get me one of those as well! My LED light bar is super duper bright off the battery voltage (7.4 vs. 5) but that Traxxas light kit wants to plug into the JST for power (which it then regulates down to 3 volts that it could have taken from receiver anyway ).
Old 01-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the responses. The heyok jst splitter might be an option. I'll get in touch with him to see if it would work.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Ugh - he's in the Great White North (Canada) which makes just shipping cost for that little 2 oz. plug of his US$12! Oh well, no one said that a global economy was a cheap economy (except for China).
Old 01-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf750rider View Post
Ugh - he's in the Great White North (Canada) which makes just shipping cost for that little 2 oz. plug of his US$12! Oh well, no one said that a global economy was a cheap economy (except for China).
Yup, shipping is expensive! Sorry I can't do much about that.
Maybe if you need other things I carry, it might make it worthwhile for you.

I appreciate you checking out the stuff though!

Al
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:50 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Yup, shipping is expensive! Sorry I can't do much about that.
No worries Al. It's the system in place, not you.

On one hand - I can't really complain too much because I do take advantage and purchase many things from China. On the other hand, it's amazing that - I can make an item charge US$5 mail it across 3 states in 2 days for US$3 totalling US$8, but you can get the same item delivered by the same postal worker for total of US$4 if you can wait 2 weeks for the boat.

Suggestions for splitting power for multiple systems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power screwdriver & hex bit suggestions? Jim85IROC Tools, and Procedures 46 10-03-2018 09:59 PM
need some suggestions for power for my wrexo and exwraith'o mcrawlinslow Electronics 8 10-25-2013 10:03 AM
Power system suggestions for SCX10 Work Horse gabehunt Axial SCX-10 5 04-24-2012 05:12 PM
power supply suggestions..... pugs2300 Electronics 1 03-16-2012 08:46 AM
Brushless systems for Comp Crawler? suggestions? Goomone Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2010 02:07 PM