Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin fxr adjustability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Red face Tekin fxr adjustability

I got a capo jk max sort of used, previous owner started it but never finished it. It came with a tekin fxr with it which is my first tekin product. I was shocked how small it is and it fits in the fuel cell along with the reciever and the 2 light controllers....barely.

I managed to do some program changes by using the buttons. The drag brake seems to have a slight delay before activating and I'm really missing the freewheeling (active drag?) I looked on tekins website and the hotwire adds a lot of programming options, but I'm unclear if active drag is available on the fxr, anyone know for certain.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tekin fxr adjustability

Does no one use the fxr anymore? I did notice a lot of places list it as discontinued. I might be able to cram a HW 1080 in its place, but it seems to run really smooth and I'd like to give it a shot.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have never ran tekin because of their price. I would guess the fxr does not have active drag or they would have listed it on the fxr page. You can read the firmware updates often there are more details there.

Handy gearing spreadsheet
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:41 AM   #4

I don't have an FXR, but Tekin would be the best to contact in regards to the issue. A Tekin employee just happens to be an active member of the forum and he's glad to help. Try PMing Ty@Tekin. Here's the link to his profile: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/membe...ekin-17800.htm

Sadly, the FXR has been discontinued! I'm hoping Tekin comes out with a new, brushed ESC specifically for crawlers.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Sadly, the FXR has been discontinued! I'm hoping Tekin comes out with a new, brushed ESC specifically for crawlers.
https://www.teamtekin.com/bxr.html
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Beno View Post
The BXR has been around for a while and it's "lesser" than the FXR. This new version may be element proof, but the specs are still a let down IMO.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

It doesn't look like the FXR has active drag, if you look at the product page in the Hotwire Programmable Features section they do not list Active drag (that its where they normally indicate having this feature)
https://www.teamtekin.com/fxr.html

I also dont see it listed in the manual
https://www.teamtekin.com/manuals/tws_manual_fx.pdf

Once you've tried active drag/freewheeling its hard to give it up for sure.

EDIT: and on the BXR the weight limit is fairly low and I have a feeling the Capo is not very light, so its probably not a good fit. I know the OP wasn't asking about it but I just wanted to mention it just in case.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-31-2020 at 12:50 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
Hal
Quarry Creeper

Could someone tell me what active drag is. I have only been crawling for about 3 years and have never heard of it. I run MOA and Spotsman (shafty) My MOA runs 2 FXRs and I have a BXR in one of my scalers and in my Shafty. Both do imediate drag brake with no hesitation. Both the FXR and BXR do full brake when throttle is in "neutral" it's the only way they can do digs if installed in an MOA rig. I was able to set it all up right on the ESC.
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Could someone tell me what active drag is. I have only been crawling for about 3 years and have never heard of it. I run MOA and Spotsman (shafty) My MOA runs 2 FXRs and I have a BXR in one of my scalers and in my Shafty. Both do imediate drag brake with no hesitation. Both the FXR and BXR do full brake when throttle is in "neutral" it's the only way they can do digs if installed in an MOA rig. I was able to set it all up right on the ESC.

The names are different from brand to brand, some call it active freewheeling I believe. The basic rundown is instead of the drag brake simply shutting off when given throttle it stays active while you drive (I assume it switches off at a certain % of throttle) Anyway this video explains and shows it better than I can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvGC...ature=youtu.be
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #10
Hal
Quarry Creeper

Thanks HumboldtEF. The video was great, it explained it perfect. I will definitely be looking for an ESC with this for my scaler. Not sure I would want it for my MOAs though. With the BXR in my Shafty I run 100% drag brake but will use a slight amount of throttle to come downhill. It is geared pretty low so this works. I think an ESC with this type of Dragbrake would work great if it were small enough to fit in to my chassis space I have for my ESC. I'll be looking at some more Tekins. I have always liked them. Even with the abuse I give the BXR with a 27 turn HH motor I have never had issues. Time for some research, as I reach for a beer with one hand and my tablet with the other
Old 02-09-2020, 12:35 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Did you get a chance to try the active drag brake out? I'm really interested in the BXR and I think it would be ok with a 5 slot motor.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #12
Hal
Quarry Creeper

Terrible, thats what I run, a 5 slot 16 turn HH in my scaler and I believe a 13 turn HH in my Sportsman. They are both very smooth and controllable. The 13 turn has a lot of punch, I have the power curve backed of untill about 1/3 throttle then it comes on strong. The BXR hasn't let me down yet. I do drive somewhat conservatively but..... not always. Sometimes as you know you need to throttle out.
I am also using the 16 turn in my MOA with the FXR, these motors are very similar to a 35 turn 3 slot except they are way smoother. Any of the guys at our club night that have run any of my crawlers are always comenting on how smooth my rigs are to drive. I do have to say the programing of the transmitter throttle curves helps. It is nice to have a good starting point to build off of. Out of all the big changes I have made to my crawlers, I would have to say the 5 slot motors have been the best choice. I run 3s so not sure how they hold up to higher voltages.

Tekin fxr adjustability - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mamba Max , Tekin FXR or Tekin FXR PRO? TheHeadHunter Electronics 21 06-21-2012 08:15 AM
Tekin FXR and FXR-pro ESCs in stock JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 35 09-17-2009 09:40 PM