Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: A700 or SHV500v3???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Question A700 or SHV500v3???

So I’ve finally saved up the funds to get a good high end servo. Now just trying to decide between the Futaba A700 $140 and the Homes Hobbies SHV500V3 $120.
I really like HH products and really like supporting such a great company. Is Futaba as good about support as HH is? Are the gears in the A700 going to hold up to all that power? Would the A700 be too much for my Trx-4? The other thing I was wondering about is power consumption. Are these servos battery eaters? Give me some help please guys. Thank you in advance!!!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: A700 or SHV500v3???

Never had CS issues with my Futaba servos back in the day but it would be a no-brainer for me. John is about as involved in this hobby as anyone could be. He's passionate about his brand and stands behind it 100% from all that I've seen. I've got 3 of his v2's as well as a motor and the fact that you can contact him directly and the fact that his reputation means everything to him... again, no brainer. And none of that even relates to the fantastic specs on the v3 ( which I'm sure we're all aware of). I love that you can run direct from batt too. I'm tempted to get another rig just so that I can justify picking up a v3 lol.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Out of these two V3 no doubt. I have only had it for about 2 weeks but it is hell for stout. I have A700 in two rigs and they are awesome servos That hold up great. BUT! that gear-train HH uses is just brutally stout! I look forward to really testing it lol. I dont have more than a couple hours on the HH. It has the power, the right parts, great service and good price. It may start replacing my 2290's but they are great as well (just noisy).

Get the V3, Thats what I will be using on future builds. Its tough to beat I think. They killed it in my book.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure how it compares to the newer V3 in the real world, but the other John from ProModeler has great customer service and servos with a reputation for very high quality in Air RC & crawlers. With the Holmes V3 being out of stock this may be a good option for you. https://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:21 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Thank you guys! I thought I was going the right way with HH. Just was curious about the A700 and all that crazy torque.

Spoo, the only thing keeping me from buying a PM is the preferred straight 2s power for correct performance. I've talked to John Beech a few times about the 470 just could never pull the trigger on it. I run 3s and I'm not running a second battery. Also love HH products and support. So I guess I'll be waiting till they get back in stock. Thanks again guys!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

That may be his recommend setup, but many are using a BEC and also don't want to run a second pack with the 470, I'd imagine the same is true for the bigger servo.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
So I’ve finally saved up the funds to get a good high end servo. Now just trying to decide between the Futaba A700 $140 and the Homes Hobbies SHV500V3 $120.
I really like HH products and really like supporting such a great company. Is Futaba as good about support as HH is? Are the gears in the A700 going to hold up to all that power? Would the A700 be too much for my Trx-4? The other thing I was wondering about is power consumption. Are these servos battery eaters? Give me some help please guys. Thank you in advance!!!
First off you are comparing an Airplane servo to a "surface" servo, you should comprare the HPS-CB700 to the holmes hobbies, that is more like the same specs, even though the futaba should be faster and have more torque. Now the BIG difference is that futaba DOES NOT need a bec, it can be run out of the internal bec of your ESC since the amperage it draws is very low. On the other hand the HH also doesn't need a bec but gets powered by the batery, I see no problem in that but there is a catch, the specs of the HH are if the servo is connected to a 4S battery. I personally don't run 4S since my ESC tops out at 3S so I would loose performace even more.
At the end I purchased the FUTABA HPS-CB700, it should be in my hands tomorrow, so I will eventually let you know how it works. I have never had a bad experience with futaba gear so I don't think this will be the exeption.
BTW I love HH products, but in this particular case I think his servo doesn't work for me.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Both are overkill for a TRX4 anyways, so choose the cheaper one.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
First off you are comparing an Airplane servo to a "surface" servo, you should comprare the HPS-CB700 to the holmes hobbies, that is more like the same specs, even though the futaba should be faster and have more torque. Now the BIG difference is that futaba DOES NOT need a bec, it can be run out of the internal bec of your ESC since the amperage it draws is very low. On the other hand the HH also doesn't need a bec but gets powered by the batery, I see no problem in that but there is a catch, the specs of the HH are if the servo is connected to a 4S battery. I personally don't run 4S since my ESC tops out at 3S so I would loose performace even more.
At the end I purchased the FUTABA HPS-CB700, it should be in my hands tomorrow, so I will eventually let you know how it works. I have never had a bad experience with futaba gear so I don't think this will be the exeption.
BTW I love HH products, but in this particular case I think his servo doesn't work for me.
Actually, the A700 was designed to be compatible with the SR capabilities of the 7PX (specifically) which is a surface radio, along with their air systems.

I agree with the rest though. Not needing a BEC on the Futaba is nice perk, that is very convinient. In a crawler I rather have the torque of the A700, even if its just for kicks, because they both draw about the same. Overkill for sure but again they draw nothing (respectively), and I have a lot of larger scale cars they can make their way to when different servos come and go.
I really like to try the m all lol. I give the nod the the HH because it is a hell for stout geartrain. I am really excited about trying to break it honestly. There is not a similar sized servo out the with that beef. That, the price and CS make it my current favorite. Hopefully it proves to be tried and true.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:34 PM   #10

Holmes lists the specs for his at 3s and 4s. It is plenty strong on 3s so that really isn't an issue. I run mine on 3s and it has all the power I need for a crawler.

Futaba makes great products
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote

A700 or SHV500v3??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SHV500v3 Rock Crawler Servos! JohnRobHolmes New Products and Great Deals 0 02-06-2020 10:47 AM
Futaba servo (A700) programming? Only turns ~60° TheLetterJ Electronics 4 10-05-2019 09:50 AM