Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Does this trx4 combo make sense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2022, 09:22 PM   #1

Default Does this trx4 combo make sense?

Keep the stock t25 motor (for awhile), change servo to an AGFrc 40kg and change the ESC to a HW1080? Some noobie questions...I should be OK setting the servo to 7.4 v? I live in hot Florida, is there such a thing as cooling fans for the ESC and servo that run off a temp sensor (maybe the motor too)? What would be a good motor upgrade for this set-up in the future, if this is in fact a good set-up? As far as usage I'd say an equal amount of trail and crawling.
Ovok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2022, 09:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Does this trx4 combo make sense?

Sounds like a good plan to me. The stock Traxxas Titan is a good motor when paired with a good ESC, so I see no problem there. The only other thing I’d look at is the stock micro servos. They definitely have their issues, although personally I went nearly a year and a half on stock micro servos.

As far as fans, it’s pretty useless on a crawler IMO. if the trucks motor is getting hot, gearing is the issue. I live in Hawaii and I never need a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 09:41 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I'd spend a little more $ on a stronger torque servo but otherwise, yeah.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:22 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 550 13T or 15T would be a decent alternative motor when the Titan gets retired. Same price range and with slightly better drag brake and torque.

You should be carefull with the voltage, because all stock electronics run at 6V. Setting the ESC to 7.4 could damage them.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:58 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I live in South Florida. You won't need fans. I agree with high plains drifter and spend a little more money on a better Hi torque servo. Other than that, you're good to go. I put a HH Crawlmaster 12T motor in my TRX4 geared 45/9. Don't change out the motor until after the Titan dies. It's a decent motor. Don't spend money if you don't have to.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 12:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The HW1080/Titan combo isn't a bad combo, and is a good starting point. When you throw the whole mess together, watch your motor temps, and gear down if needed.

The Titan really isn't a bad motor for RTR. From time to time a bad one will get installed, but for the most part, they are fairly reliable. The trick to getting the most life out of the Titan is proper maintenance, and how it is ran. If you run it through water, sand, mud and/or snow (not likely in Florida), it needs to be cleaned after you are running for the day. Even then, all of that stuff wears the brushes a lot faster and will send the motor to an early grave.

As stated above, the Traxxas RX is only rated for 6VDC, running any higher voltage will likely fry it (I have done this twice by accident).
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:24 PM   #7

SHV500 seems to be one of better servo choices, at least from my limited perspective. I recall seeing something to the effect of using a wiring harness to run the SHV500 directly off the battery and the transmitter off the HW1080 and it's BEC. And what about those little micro servos, do they run off the transmitter and the HW1080? So with a SV500 paired with the HW1080, a wiring harness and the stock titan, can I run 3s as well as 2s? What's missing? Ugggh. I won't even ask about lights. My TRX4 kit should be arriving next week. Let the good times roll.
Ovok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:48 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...-OM-EN-R02.pdf

Here's the kit manual. You can study it while waiting to get the idea where everything is connecting.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:25 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovok View Post
Keep the stock t25 motor (for awhile), change servo to an AGFrc 40kg and change the ESC to a HW1080? Some noobie questions...I should be OK setting the servo to 7.4 v? I live in hot Florida, is there such a thing as cooling fans for the ESC and servo that run off a temp sensor (maybe the motor too)? What would be a good motor upgrade for this set-up in the future, if this is in fact a good set-up? As far as usage I'd say an equal amount of trail and crawling.

You did not specify which TRX4 you have. Your plan will work if you have the Sport with no shift or diff servos. However, if you have a TRX4 model with the two speed and locking diffs those micro servos will only run at 6v.

Last edited by Inspector86; 03-16-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 10:45 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I never payed attention to voltage on my trx4 bronco. Now I am surprised I haven't fried everything yet. Fortunately default on the mamba x is probably 6v.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:27 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I'd spend a little more $ on a stronger torque servo but otherwise, yeah.
For $75ish bucks that AGF 40kg servo is actually very impressive. My concern with this servo is that it’s a bit much for the 1080’s bec. I run a Castle bec on my rig with this combo.
Within $5-$10 of this servo, the AGF SA75CVSW being direct power it’s a great pairing when running a 1080. Not brushless, and handles 3s direct power so guys running 4s couldn’t use it, but still a quiet, strong, and FAST servo. Running this servo and 1080 in another rig and really impressed with these 2 servos for the price. Certainly not my most expensive or most powerful servos but these are amazing.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote

Does this trx4 combo make sense? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The best free mod I probably could make to my TRX4 CoolRunning Traxxas TRX-4 27 02-08-2019 01:36 PM
Dual battery placement ... Does this make sense? Greg2K6 Axial SCX-10 14 10-22-2013 11:08 PM
Steel beadlock Rings does it make sense in fact of weight mobilow Tires and Wheels 9 08-07-2008 10:08 AM
Doesnt make sense to take out springs! fasttimes General Crawlers 9 11-18-2005 01:06 PM