Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Traxxas best motor for TRX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2023, 08:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Traxxas best motor for TRX4

I am thinking about staying with Traxxas for a motor upgrade for my TRX4. That’s if Traxxas makes a motor that is stronger then the 540 that comes in the TRX4.

I am looking for a motor for crawling and whatever else I might do with my TRX4.

P2K
pchiumiento is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2023, 09:09 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Traxxas best motor for TRX4

The TRX-4 has the 550 in it from factory. It’s a decent motor, and from Traxxas there really isn’t any upgrade. Is there a reason you want to stay with traxxas? If you want an inexpensive brushed setup that works very well, the Hobbywing 1080 and a Holmes brushed motor like the crawlmaster sport 550 is a very good combo. For about 65-75 bucks it’s very good. If you want brushless and dead simple the Hobbywing fusion is a big hit around here, but there are lots of options from other manufacturers as well.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:51 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I have the Holmes Hobby Crawlmaster Sport 12t 550 in my TRX4 with a Hobbywing 1080 on 3s. Super smooth motor with plenty of wheel speed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

in my opinion traxxass is just another term for fire waiting to happen
your best bet would be to remove anything that says traxxass on it and has wires to it
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:40 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I have multiple traxxas batteries and vehicles with stock traxxas motors and they seem to run great no issues. I just feel that once I switch I am going to need to buy all new stuff chargers batteries and setups for all my vehicles.

P2K
Old 03-18-2023, 09:00 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

batterys and chargers are universal you might need a adaptor or change the plugs out
motors and escs are also for the most part interchangeable as long as the esc and motoe are the same type your trx4 is a brushed set up so that esc even though its complete garbage wilk run just about any brushed motor but wont run a brushless motor
a holmes brushed motor would work with your stock esc without issues

if you want to go brushless you need a esc that is capable of running brushless motors

some escs will run brushed or brushless but there usually more exspensive

since that esc is so bad and cant be fixed in the settings even the cheapest esc will out perform the stock esc
the stock esc is fine for go fast or street rigs but sucks frozen dog po on a stick when used in a crawler
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Traxxas does not make a "stronger motor" for the TRX. You'll have to go aftermarket, of which there are tons of options.

A Holmes 550 21t Trailmaster Sport is a direct swap in, no need to change your ESC, battery, or anything else. You'll definitely notice a bit more power with that motor. I use one in my TRX6 with a stock ESC and it hauls it around no issues.

A Holmes 550 Crawlmaster Sport will give you a much smoother throttle, little bit of a loss on raw power and braking ability. Also a direct drop in. (I run these in all 4 of my TRX's now. Far smoother at low RPM and the drag braking is fine with me.)

OR stick with a stock motor replacement if you like. Personally, I've never had one fail BUT they are all pretty much the same price - around $20. May as well opt for a bit more performance.

One thing to note - The Holmes motors will need the leads (wires) unsoldered from your old stock motor and re-soldered on the new motor. (If you buy direct from Holmes, it's $7 to have leads installed for you.) The Traxxas motor comes with leads already installed.

Last edited by OSRC; 03-18-2023 at 01:31 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 12:41 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Default Traxxas best motor for TRX4

I went with a HH puller pro v2 2700kv & a copper head 10. I asked him to solder everything he could together for me to make things easier for myself.

P2K
Old 03-19-2023, 07:33 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Well hell, that will certainly do it! Congrats on the purchase.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 06:33 PM   #10

That's a good choice, I am leaning that way too. Looking forward to your review.
HTownCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 07:06 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Great motor. I just traded a 2700kv PP for another HH CM 10 pole purple motor 1800kv.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 11:53 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
I have the Holmes Hobby Crawlmaster Sport 12t 550 in my TRX4 with a Hobbywing 1080 on 3s. Super smooth motor with plenty of wheel speed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Great to hear the 12t 550 is highly recommended here. My younger brother got this TRX4 and looking for a better motor. We'll just finish installing the rotors and method wheels on the Silverado this week.
dCowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 02:21 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchiumiento View Post
I went with a HH puller pro v2 2700kv & a copper head 10. I asked him to solder everything he could together for me to make things easier for myself.

Great choice. I have a Puller Pro 2200/Copperhead in one of my TRX4 rigs. Very smooth bottom end, brutal power when needed, quieter than expected, and esc powers my Powerhobby 729MBL servo easily.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 03:35 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

My bro is using the CrawlMaster 16t and he really likes it.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:02 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I am very happy with the setup I put in my TRX-4 It is perfect in every way. I can put the truck in low gear and crawl incredibly slow when I want to or I can put it kin high gear and go easily over 20MPH maybe even 30 I don't know exactly. But it is perfect for crawling and trail riding. I also got a HH SHV500 servo and have been impressed by it as well. I have had zero problems in any situation I have run into yet.

Traxxas best motor for TRX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Traxxas trx4 gaz Traxxas TRX-4 6 01-17-2018 01:37 PM