Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobbywing EZRun A2 for Trx4-M

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2024, 05:06 AM   #1

Default Hobbywing EZRun A2 for Trx4-M

A lot has changed in 5 years for me.
I bought myself a trail/scale crawler. Which I was never planning on doing.
But a friend got a Trx4-m. And I always liked the TRX4, but it was too expensive for me.
But this one seemed like a good compromise.

However, Traxxas wouldn't be Traxxas if it wasn't Traxxas.
I wanted to have more control and a better remote than the stock stuff.

So I bought myself a Hobbywing EZRun A2 combo pack, which I thought would be a perfect plug and play replacement.
However it appears I was too positive about the outlook.

Has anyone done a conversion like this?
I bought it because it was smaller than the standard motor and I have a lot of Hobbywing combo's in other RC's.

Apparently the motor has a smaller shaft at 2mm and a longer shaft (which isn't a real problem).
But the screw holes are also bigger than the traxxas screw holes.

So the problem I have is, I need a pinion gear with grub screw that fits a 2mm shaft and is max 5mm long.
But I also need screws which are big enough but aren't too big to ruin the gearbox all together.

Is it worth the hassle or are there easy fixes?

edit: I got screws that fit. Just need to drill out the holes. https://ultimateracing.ch/articles.p...cle=1000019238

and I found a pinion that would work, but it's in the US and I'm situated in Europe.
It's €20 for shipment of a €5 part, not including the import taxes.
https://moforc.com/products/mod-4-steel-pinion-gears

edit2: i found another one that might fit: https://mini-zshop.nl/product/atomic...inion-11t-mrz/
according to this it's the right shaft diameter:
https://www.wolframrc.com/product/ha...aft-atomic/141

Edit3: I'm ordering a different system which will be just plug and play.
I hate traxxas so much. The pinion is one of the only sizes which you cannot find in that mod/dp with 2mm shaft and 11t, they'll just do anything not to let you change their stuff.
Can't return the other system since the shipment is going to cost me 16euros, which is almost half of the total systems cost.

Let's just say this is the first and last traxxas I'll ever buy.

Edit4: After a good nights sleep, I'm going to try the pinion from the mini-zshop. We'll see if I can make it work

Last edited by Bennie98; 03-16-2024 at 09:59 AM.
Bennie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2024, 12:57 PM   #2

Default Re: Hobbywing EZRun A2 for Trx4-M

I think you'll find some other motor options in the micro crawler section or the Traxxas section. Furitek or Injora might have something that would be mostly plug and play.

That Hobbywing system is not a crawler specific one so you probably wouldn't get very good low-speed performance from it.
SpareParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:03 AM   #3

It appears most of the hopups you can buy are injora.
But I don't know if their electronics are any good.

I'm used to hobbywing, don't know if it'll work out or not.
I'll try to get it installed. It's a 7500kv motor.
Probably made for drifting or offroad racing.

If this doesn't work out, I'll go for a Furitek system.
But those are quite expensive.

We'll see.
That's the thing about the hobby, no worries if you ruin it or not.
Especially the 1/12, 1/16, 1/18, 1/24 scales aren't too expensive if you mess something up.
I was tired and frustrated yesterday. Today is a new day with more optimism.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:53 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

So let me get this straight. Bought a Traxxas. Stock stuff worked fine. Ripped it out to install something else more to your liking, but it didn't fit the way you hoped (since it's not for that platform) and because of that, Traxxas sucks? Geez.

The A2 system is meant for 1/18 bashers - 1/18 losi buggies, etc. Crawling is a different ball game. You will not have any low speed control with that setup, it's more for going fast. If that is your intention, great. 7500 kv and locked diffs with a high center of gravity is going to be traction roll city. Be ready. Stock up on replacement trans gears and diffs gears also. They are plastic and fairly durable, but with that kind of power they'll wear out fast.

The TRX4M has possibly the largest aftermarket going on right now. There are all kinds of 130 sized specific motors and ESC's out there for this truck (and other 1/18 crawlers). But none of them are really designed for high speed running, because that's not really what the chassis was designed for. So pretty much if you want to cram a big block in there for high speed, it's going to take some custom work.

On a side note, there's a ton of TRX4M owners here - myself included. What are you looking to do? Crawl better? Go fast? I'm sure you could get some excellent advice from the members here before spending any more $.

Last edited by OSRC; 03-17-2024 at 07:58 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
So let me get this straight. Bought a Traxxas. Stock stuff worked fine. Ripped it out to install something else more to your liking, but it didn't fit the way you hoped (since it's not for that platform) and because of that, Traxxas sucks? Geez.

On a side note, there's a ton of TRX4M owners here - myself included. What are you looking to do? Crawl better? Go fast? I'm sure you could get some excellent advice from the members here before spending any more $.
Well, I bought a Traxxas but I didn't like the amount of control in the stock electronics, so I bought myself a different set.
In the description it said 1/18 on/offroad.
So yeah, I went out on a limb and got it. Because of the cheap price.

I never really understood electric motors power ratings.
I don't like that Traxxas makes it almost impossible to change anything.

I mean whatever.

I did it. It works.

So now I'm happy. I just wanted to crawl with my own controller.

I had to cut back the axle from the motor to the correct size. Same with the pinion.
After that I had to enlarge the holes in the gearbox to fit the new screws.
It all fits perfectly. Except, the default prop shafts are to wide, which cause them to rub on the round motor.
I ordered new narrower ones. I'll let you know when I install them if they still rub or not.

Last edited by Bennie98; 03-25-2024 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:22 PM   #6

Traxxas is awesome. This hobby would not be where it is today if not for Traxxas. They introduced the world to RTR and, like it or not, the popularity of RC exploded. When Traxxas released the Slash, the popularity had another boom. And then Traxxas put RC into non-hobby retail outlets like Pep Boys.

Saying you're not going to buy another Traxxas is your loss. Let's just get that out in the open.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:21 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I personally don't see how any of your problems are the fault of Trazzas. I have 3 TRX4m's and have not had any issues with any of them. To get them to crawl they need the low speed gears which are available from Traxxas for like $6 this will give it much more low end control. Like others have said there are several different proven 180 motors out there that will fit. You blaming Traxxas for your problems is ridiculous.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, ezrun, hobbywing, traxxas, trx4m

Hobbywing EZRun A2 for Trx4-M - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing Ezrun Max8 wiring question AK KRAWLER Electronics 2 04-19-2020 10:46 PM
how to really make a hobbywing ezrun wp80 esc waterproof td-civ Electronics 0 04-16-2013 06:45 PM
HobbyWing EZrun ESC natskiboy Electronics 0 10-30-2012 09:05 PM
Programing HobbyWing/EzRun ESC... 208BrAnDo Electronics 14 11-01-2011 02:45 PM
Hobbywing Ezrun Question Tortuga275 Electronics 11 03-06-2010 04:20 PM