Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Weird Transmitter Glitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2024, 08:58 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Weird Transmitter Glitch

Hey all I haven't been active in a bit, but this is my most visited RC forum which seems to have some very well versed members.

First of all, this is on a Gasoline powered 1/5 scale vehicle.

The electronics: FlySky FS-ITS4 Transmitter with its respective 4 channel receiver, SVT module and the respective failsafe module. running on a 5000mah 6.0v battery pack. 2 Hitec HV Metal Gear Steering servos and a Hitec HV Metal Gear Throttle servo.

The weirdness.

This transmitter combo works great for 9 of the 10 models I have programmed in it.

It previously worked fine on this model also as recent as yesterday.

Today it started doing something very weird. Whenever I crank the engine on the vehicle, the transmitter reboots.

So long as I do not crank the engine the transmitter and receiver stay bound normally and all the functions work and response is normal.

The moment I yank the pull start the transmitter will reboot.

I have tried tapping, hitting, smacking all around the transmitter box, pull start housing, pulling on any exposed wires, hitting the emergency shutoff switch, and even dropping the vehicle to try to recreate the reboot to no avail.

It will only reboot the moment I pull that cord and the engine cranks over.

I'm truly stumped on this one

Last edited by Papewayo; 03-21-2024 at 10:07 AM.
Papewayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2024, 10:47 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Weird Transmitter Glitch

Not sure whats goin on there. But have u tried to pull a reciever from another rig to try in this one? Could be the rx is goin or could be a ground issue as well

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:44 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

what part if any on the motor is connected to the electronics
how does the motor mount to the chassis
my first though would be waste spark somehow getting to the receiver
maybe worn motor isolators causing the motor to ground to the chassis when you pull the cord
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:51 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

<<
maybe worn motor isolators causing the motor to ground to the chassis when you pull the cord

I actually was think along the same lines.

I swapped in a brand new Rx unit (I bought a bunch of the receivers when I bought the Tx) and am still getting the same behavior.

On a hunch I tried it with a Nitro car as a test, no issues although it's exactly the same setup with electronics (except the large servos ofc).

I thought maybe the Rx pack, but that holds steady at 6.4v even when the steering servos are maxed and locked on grippy concrete with this 30lb beast.

I also thought ground also but that should be reproduced if the wires are jiggled, I tried and zero happened.

When I slowly but steadily pull on the pull-start and the engine turns over slowly, no problem.

But the moment I yank on the pull-start to really try to start the engine, the Transmitter restarts.

Funny that the Rx doesn't glitch at all when this happens and holds all the presets steady.

I've seen issues with the Rx glitching in the past, but the Tx??? WTH.

This is the oddest thing I've seen in 40+ years messing with RC's.

Last edited by Papewayo; 03-21-2024 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 01:14 PM   #5

I'm not that familiar with such level of rc (or rc in general), but being a 1/5 scale gas rig, it has to be using some kind of spark ignition system, and I assume it's something like what is seen on lawnmowers. I'm also not familiar with that model of Tx/Rx, but I assume it doesn't have telemetry features; I don't know if the Tx can receive anything from the Rx communications wise.

I theorize two possibilities:
1.) EMP from the engine's ignition system now affecting the Tx (since they have to accept interference per FCC)
2.) Something similar feeding back to the Rx, which erroneously sends some kind of reboot command back to the Tx (again, I don't even know if that Tx/Rx system is capable of such).

My idea to test the first issue, is to leave the Tx in your car/truck/jeep/metal vehicle to act as a faraday cage and see if it still happens. Other than that, my inexperience in this hobby provides little help.
Zenith the Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 06:09 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
There is an emergency shutoff button that is connected to a super bee failsafe. That came with the vehicle.

Then there is a temperature sensor FS-STM01 that connects to the receiver.

The engine is mounted to isolator blocks that are on tighter than a I care to try to loosen. No movement at all.

Here is a video of the issue. I even took all the electronics out of the box so I can check each wire.

Funny thing is it worked just fine last night.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18-i...w?usp=drivesdk

Last edited by Papewayo; 03-21-2024 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:24 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith the Zero View Post
I'm not that familiar with such level of rc (or rc in general), but being a 1/5 scale gas rig, it has to be using some kind of spark ignition system, and I assume it's something like what is seen on lawnmowers. I'm also not familiar with that model of Tx/Rx, but I assume it doesn't have telemetry features; I don't know if the Tx can receive anything from the Rx communications wise.

I theorize two possibilities:
1.) EMP from the engine's ignition system now affecting the Tx (since they have to accept interference per FCC)
2.) Something similar feeding back to the Rx, which erroneously sends some kind of reboot command back to the Tx (again, I don't even know if that Tx/Rx system is capable of such).

My idea to test the first issue, is to leave the Tx in your car/truck/jeep/metal vehicle to act as a faraday cage and see if it still happens. Other than that, my inexperience in this hobby provides little help.
Actually it does have a telemetry module. The FS-SVT01.

That is a good catch. I'm gonna disconnect that tomorrow and see if that resolves it.

If that doesn't work I'll try the Faraday cage. I'll probably need to create a small one as I won't be able to watch the Tx in my truck.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:24 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Try a new plug. Make sure it is a R (Resistor Plug) example, xxx plug YST-R over YST plug.
May have some issues in the plug wire (tear in insulation etc). Did you relocate the rx closer to the magneto maybe?

The fact the Radio is rebooting is very strange. Do you have the radio really close to the plug/wire/magneto maybe in the field created when spinning up? Maybe causing the glitch?

Generally when I see "Glitch" and "Gasser" I immediately consider the plug/wire/magneto gear. Something is not containing the magnetic field, mabe the rx has a loose item on it or a cracked diode etc allowing the magetic field to induce a charge, which would be something that would reset the radio perhaps... But that doesn't quite seem right in my mind either.
Try another Rx if you have one and see if it continues on that rig.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:49 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
The fact the Radio is rebooting is very strange. Do you have the radio really close to the plug/wire/magneto maybe in the field created when spinning up? Maybe causing the glitch?
Precisely what I was thinking.

While most of us do not wish to add any sort of weight to our vehicles. I would think that I've lately seen BEC's with a ferrite bead on their power leads going to the RX. I'm wondering if a ferrite bead on the lead from servos, etc to your RX might just be the ounce of cure in this issue.
diezel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 03:17 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diezel666 View Post
Precisely what I was thinking.

While most of us do not wish to add any sort of weight to our vehicles. I would think that I've lately seen BEC's with a ferrite bead on their power leads going to the RX. I'm wondering if a ferrite bead on the lead from servos, etc to your RX might just be the ounce of cure in this issue.
The issue with using a magnet and wrapping the wires around it, is it is essentially a bandage. mabye even with some stiches, but the bullet is still in the body so....

While it may create a fair work around, a solution it is not...

Good call on the telemetry module. Whatever is happening, is in communication with the Tx to send it a signal causing reboot.
Or something in the Tx itself is going south and the magnetic field is getting in causing it to Biden itself leaving dark brown smelly stains. lol
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote

Weird Transmitter Glitch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
weird glitch idk Electronics 2 08-30-2013 10:17 AM
Weird glitch... Duuuuuuuude Electronics 7 11-10-2009 09:21 PM
weird lil glitch in ghetto rigging. BEELZEBOB Electronics 0 10-24-2009 11:19 AM
Weird electronics glitch... HELP! J.DUKE Electronics 4 04-06-2009 09:56 AM