RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/element-rc-1-10-enduro-trail-truck-sendero/)
-   -   Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/element-rc-1-10-enduro-trail-truck-sendero/610340-codyboys-enduro-making-my-own-46-pw.html)

CODYBOY 07-31-2019 01:01 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeMinnix (Post 5953651)
Looking awesome Ernie, thoroughly impressed as per usual. I was off work yesterday and spent most of the day fooling around not on my phone or the internet so missed this yesterday!


Thank you young man! The fit and trim may not be as good as a jobber shop but in a 10 foot concourse you would never spot it! :lmao:


Its not going to be a direct swap. Had to move the upper shock mounting to the rear holes. I moved the steering to the front of the axle so I could clock it more than stock. They can be built with the stock BTA steering if you want to keep it. I had to adjust the length of the tie rod, steering link, and upper third link. I think most of you guys would be able to take care of all this with no problem. "thumbsup"

A couple views from the front, most every thing where it should be.

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...1-IMG_1658.jpg

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...2-IMG_1659.jpg

Steering angle is as good as stock, maybe even a little better.

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...3-IMG_1660.jpg

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...4-IMG_1661.jpg

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...5-IMG_1662.jpg

Compressed,

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...6-IMG_1663.jpg

And not, everything smooth with no binding.

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...7-IMG_1664.jpg

Some different tires and wheels I like on her???

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...8-IMG_1665.jpg

I also did some trimming to the sliders.

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...9-IMG_1666.jpg

Please speak up if anything glaringly wrong jumps out at you!!! :shock:
More later. And thanks for looking. :)
Ernie

DukeMinnix 07-31-2019 01:58 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
If one were to want to keep the BTA steering keeping the stock c hub and knuckles, could the swap be completed with the stock tie rod, drag link, panhard and upper?

SSD 07-31-2019 02:14 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
You put the pinion shaft low to keep BTA right?
I'm assuming the axle is clocked back a little for the panhard to clear the upper link mount as you have offset on that side.

CODYBOY 07-31-2019 03:13 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeMinnix (Post 5953668)
If one were to want to keep the BTA steering keeping the stock c hub and knuckles, could the swap be completed with the stock tie rod, drag link, panhard and upper?


Because I have no way to knurle sp the brass axle insert it would be best to use a brass c-hub and put a anchor screw through it and the brass insert. Other then that I can't see any reason for it not to work. "thumbsup"
Ernie

CODYBOY 07-31-2019 03:19 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SSD (Post 5953674)
You put the pinion shaft low to keep BTA right?
I'm assuming the axle is clocked back a little for the panhard to clear the upper link mount as you have offset on that side.


Not being a engineer, or a machinist I have to rely on common sense to help me with my decisions so yes to both. Having looked at it, do you see any reason why this set up wouldn't work properly? You know the old saying "two heads are better than one"."thumbsup"
Ernie

durok 07-31-2019 03:23 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Could a CodyBoy/SSD teamup be in the works?

Be pretty wild to see that... "thumbsup"

SSD 07-31-2019 04:09 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CODYBOY (Post 5953696)
Not being a engineer, or a machinist I have to rely on common sense to help me with my decisions so yes to both. Having looked at it, do you see any reason why this set up wouldn't work properly? You know the old saying "two heads are better than one"."thumbsup"
Ernie

Should work fine. Well done on the tubes "thumbsup"

Low pinion may not be ideal. As you have the steering at the front you might as well put the pinion higher.
If you need offset univerals from the Trail King kit let me know.

Must admit as soon as I had the Enduro axles in my hand I thought of making a Pro44 based axle for that truck. It would be pretty easy as you have demonstrated. The main issue is the high pinion gets in the way of the BTA steering so it would have to be in front. I dont have an issue with that as it's high anyway.

DukeMinnix 07-31-2019 04:34 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SSD (Post 5953709)
Should work fine. Well done on the tubes "thumbsup"

Low pinion may not be ideal. As you have the steering at the front you might as well put the pinion higher.
If you need offset univerals from the Trail King kit let me know.

Must admit as soon as I had the Enduro axles in my hand I thought of making a Pro44 based axle for that truck. It would be pretty easy as you have demonstrated. The main issue is the high pinion gets in the way of the BTA steering so it would have to be in front. I dont have an issue with that as it's high anyway.

both share 3.75:1 gearing, correct?

SSD 07-31-2019 04:45 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeMinnix (Post 5953713)
both share 3.75:1 gearing, correct?


Correct (8/30).

durok 07-31-2019 05:58 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeMinnix (Post 5953713)
both share 3.75:1 gearing, correct?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSD (Post 5953715)
Correct (8/30).

That's good to know as I just bought a complete set of SSD Pro44 axles to swap into my Enduro...going with the steering link in front, here - keeping things simple.

MaX-D 07-31-2019 06:06 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5953724)
That's good to know as I just bought a complete set of SSD Pro44 axles to swap into my Enduro...going with the steering link in front, here - keeping things simple.

Why the swap? Are the pro 44 axles better than stock? If so why? Just curious. Crawling and scalers are somewhat new to me as I come from the short course and stadium truck world of racing. I'm just trying to learn all of this stuff, that's all

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

CODYBOY 07-31-2019 06:44 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaX-D (Post 5953726)
Why the swap? Are the pro 44 axles better than stock? If so why? Just curious. Crawling and scalers are somewhat new to me as I come from the short course and stadium truck world of racing. I'm just trying to learn all of this stuff, that's all

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk


The reason I thought of doing this was as a way to add weight down low and off set the front axle. The one I just finished is 13+oz of non rotating weight . "thumbsup"
Ernie


PS: And by the way, the only silly question would be the one you don't ask. So hope you keep asking!!!!

MaX-D 07-31-2019 07:37 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CODYBOY (Post 5953730)
The reason I thought of doing this was as a way to add weight down low and off set the front axle. The one I just finished is 13+oz of non rotating weight . "thumbsup"
Ernie


PS: And by the way, the only silly question would be the one you don't ask. So hope you keep asking!!!!

Thank you. I'm sure there will be more questions forthcoming. So I'm guessing that putting weights inside of your wheels is not a good thing because of the extra rotating Mass

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

HumboldtEF 07-31-2019 07:43 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaX-D (Post 5953740)
So I'm guessing that putting weights inside of your wheels is not a good thing because of the extra rotating Mass

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk




Yes the less rotating mass the better but you can get away with some extra weight since crawlers are so slow depending on your driving style (slow or aggressive) and whether its a brushless setup. Its easier to break parts with a brushless setup so extra weight isn't ideal.

CODYBOY 07-31-2019 09:16 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaX-D (Post 5953740)
Thank you. I'm sure there will be more questions forthcoming. So I'm guessing that putting weights inside of your wheels is not a good thing because of the extra rotating Mass

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Yes, weighted wheels and their rotating mass puts undo stress on your drive train. Although I think some comp crawlers would dispute that a little. "thumbsup"

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 5953741)
Yes the less rotating mass the better but you can get away with some extra weight since crawlers are so slow depending on your driving style (slow or aggressive) and whether its a brushless setup. Its easier to break parts with a brushless setup so extra weight isn't ideal.

Thanks Casey, your right, it isn't as big a issue in trailing as it is in scale comping. I've seen guys really work there throttle trying to right a truck to avoid points for touches and break pins and or universals. "thumbsup"
Ernie

CODYBOY 07-31-2019 09:17 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SSD (Post 5953709)
Should work fine. Well done on the tubes "thumbsup"

Low pinion may not be ideal. As you have the steering at the front you might as well put the pinion higher.
If you need offset univerals from the Trail King kit let me know.

Must admit as soon as I had the Enduro axles in my hand I thought of making a Pro44 based axle for that truck. It would be pretty easy as you have demonstrated. The main issue is the high pinion gets in the way of the BTA steering so it would have to be in front. I dont have an issue with that as it's high anyway.


Sent you a PM about the unis. "thumbsup"
Ernie

CODYBOY 08-10-2019 02:04 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Been a while since my last update. I wanted to do a tilting body mount on the rear so thought I'd show how I did it. "thumbsup"

I started with a small SS piano hinge.

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...1-IMG_1681.jpg

I soldered a couple bolts in position to slide into the bumper mount holes.

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...3-IMG_1683.jpg

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...4-IMG_1684.jpg

Mounted to the cage with 2 3mm screws.

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...5-IMG_1686.jpg

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...6-IMG_1687.jpg

And a tilting body! "thumbsup"

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...7-IMG_1688.jpg

After talking with SSD I decided to flip the out drive on the axle to a high pinion.

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...2-IMG_1695.jpg

https://i1264.photobucket.com/albums...1-IMG_1694.jpg

Thanks for looking, and any input is welcome! "thumbsup"
Ernie

durok 08-10-2019 06:35 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Know what I like about tilt-back bodies?

They take me back to my childhood - sometime in the '70s - when my brother and I got a set of die-cast funny cars that you could prop the bodies up on...

Ah, good times.

"thumbsup"

(and you just can't beat the convenience in an R/C!)

MaX-D 08-10-2019 06:53 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5955639)
Know what I like about tilt-back bodies?



They take me back to my childhood - sometime in the '70s - when my brother and I got a set of die-cast funny cars that you could prop the bodies up on...



Ah, good times.



"thumbsup"



(and you just can't beat the convenience in an R/C!)

HA! I had the same thing back in the 70s when I was a kid as well.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

soze 08-10-2019 09:46 PM

Re: Codyboy's Enduro making it my own, 46 PW
 
Build is looking good!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com