Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: OS's IFS Enduro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2020, 09:48 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: OS's IFS Enduro

Ha! Totally missed those plates... they would make all the difference. They are not mentioned or shown in Step 11, they are there in Step 12 though. I didn't even see them. I saw them when I was done the build and wondered what they were.

Oh well, I got there with the longer rod ends.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, you can easily miss the shock tower extensions, also in the manual it specifies putting the rear shock at the same level as the lower link, includs longer screws and spacers with the kit.
stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:48 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Made myself a new battery tray... one specific for my 2200 packs. Ground down the mount until everything was flush and drilled a new hole. I'll eventually paint it black once the temps warm up.

It's as low on the chassis as I could get it - about 2mm above the front driveshaft.

Not really happy with the Ram body. I had one of these before and don't recall anything odd about it. This one though...the proportions just seem off to me. The body posts are maxed out up front and it doesn't sit nearly high enough due to the really high hood. It should sit almost 3/4 inch higher.

There's no room to flex, and 4.75 tires are in no way going to work without serious trimming. Hmm...

Plus, seems very narrow to my eyes...

I sliced off the fenders, the bumpers and the lower 1/2 inch of the body. Better but not great. Not sure what I want to do here yet....I might have a few more body options.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #24

Man I love that idea and I'm going to steal it from you until I get my 3d printer, I'm running pretty much the same package and none of the the battery trays works well.

Love that body, unfortunately you have the same issue I'm having with my gladiator and the 4.75. I'm thinking about going fenderless as well or get Pitbulls Rock Beast 4.55 or even class 1 Proline 4.19 idk yet

Last edited by shOyx; 03-04-2020 at 09:58 AM.
shOyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

Not really happy with the Ram body. I had one of these before and don't recall anything odd about it. This one though...the proportions just seem off to me. The body posts are maxed out up front and it doesn't sit nearly high enough due to the really high hood. It should sit almost 3/4 inch higher.

There's no room to flex, and 4.75 tires are in no way going to work without serious trimming. Hmm...

Plus, seems very narrow to my eyes...

I sliced off the fenders, the bumpers and the lower 1/2 inch of the body. Better but not great. Not sure what I want to do here yet....I might have a few more body options.

I don't think it looks particularly odd. What your eye sees is what is most important though.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:40 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

I think slicing off the fenders was the right thing to do. I wonder if you can 3D print and re-add some fenders just a little higher. Or get some rubber fenders like which came with the Injora Cherokees.

IMHO of course the extra width of fenders makes the wheels look like they don't stick out as far and makes it look a little more scale.

Last edited by DeoreDX; 03-04-2020 at 09:43 AM.
DeoreDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #27
Gold Star Baby!

Digging the battery tray. Clean and functional. I like it.

That’s a bummer about the Ram body though. Almost looks like it would need pretty small tires to not have to cut it up. Interested in seeing which way you take it, but the way you have it cut up now has a nice pre-runner vibe.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #28

Did you form the battery tray or is it a piece of angle?

I like the Dodge body. Almost put it on my TK. I think it would look great with smaller tires.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Usually, my homebrew parts start as a large thin crust industrial pizza pan from Pizza Hut. I took a stack 25 years ago and still have some left. Cut to shape, sand off the grease, bend in a vise and voila! It's great aluminum - not structural grade, but fine for battery trays and what not. Polishes up perfectly.

Having said that, this is some angle bracket I found when I cleaned up the basement. Just happened to be the perfect size. I have foam to keep the battery from sliding, and velcro straps of course, but I'll add that stuff after I paint.

I ran this body on my SCX10 previously, though it sat much higher and ran with 4.5 Pitbulls. Looked good there, not sure why it looks so off to my eyes now....maybe I've been spoiled with all the huge full size bodies that are out now. I've got another body on the way, once it gets here I'll figure out which one to go with.
Old 03-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Usually, my homebrew parts start as a large thin crust industrial pizza pan from Pizza Hut. I took a stack 25 years ago and still have some left. Cut to shape, sand off the grease, bend in a vise and voila! It's great aluminum - not structural grade, but fine for battery trays and what not. Polishes up perfectly.

Having said that, this is some angle bracket I found when I cleaned up the basement. Just happened to be the perfect size. I have foam to keep the battery from sliding, and velcro straps of course, but I'll add that stuff after I paint.

I ran this body on my SCX10 previously, though it sat much higher and ran with 4.5 Pitbulls. Looked good there, not sure why it looks so off to my eyes now....maybe I've been spoiled with all the huge full size bodies that are out now. I've got another body on the way, once it gets here I'll figure out which one to go with.
Keep one of those! It's a relic now that Pizza Hut closed.

The battery tray is perfect. I was thinking you bent it and I was going to ask you how you bent it so perfectly without a brake.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:27 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

So I really pooched up this build by not looking at the last step too closely, and spent a ton of time I probably didn't need to spend.... but then I had a fit of genius and made up for it. Upgraded hard battery tray mount up front left me with the stock part in the parts pile...realized the holes in back matched perfectly so I installed it out back. Boom! seriously stiffer chassis... It was kind of open and airy back there. Much better!

Got all the electronics mounted...and sorted out. WP1080, Holmes Crawlmaster 16t and a 25kg servo. Plus a lot of ugly wiring... Just zip tied it and called it good for now.

Body 2 came in a day early, and I had to sneak downstairs and try it out.. I like it MUCH better than the Ram. PL's 4Runner... swapped over some small TSL's and I think it looks pretty decent!

Is there any body VP bumpers don't look good with? It's like they were made for this body, they fit perfectly. Excuse my poor trim job, it's just rough cut - I'll smooth it out later.

Not sure what it is - if the sliders are just generally high on the Enduro chassis or what, but both bodies hung way low in the center.. I hacked off the bottom of the body and I'm still nowhere close.

Found this while trimming....deep crease in the body on the rear door, and the body curves in there. Looks like it was pinched. Not sure if I want to contact PL or not.

Playing around a bit, I notched the body to sit down over the slider mounts, and trimmed it just enough so it basically slots in behind them like the VS4 Pro does. Holds the body tight and tucks it in at the bottom getting rid of that flare effect lexan bodies sometimes have. Came out perfect!

Very happy with how this came out... ready for paint!! It's the 4th body in line for the paint booth, can see the Porsche and Mustang in the background, as well as my Tamiya G500s so it might be a while.

Last edited by OSRC; 03-06-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:59 AM   #32

Heck yeah contact the seller about that crease! Looks like it got crushed in shipping and that's not your fault so you should get a new one.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

I always liked your builds. You do awesome work! I've really been looking at this enduro with the ifs to do a build of my 1:1 Colorado.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Dirt Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #34
Gold Star Baby!

Those bumpers really do fit that 4runner body great. The slider fitment came out really clean too. Looking forward to seeing it all done up!
Old 03-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Those bumpers really do fit that 4runner body great. The slider fitment came out really clean too. Looking forward to seeing it all done up!

Those origin pro tube bumpers look great on almost everything, are well built and feel sturdy, and are like $18 shipped if you can find them in stock.
Wisceaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

FOREIGNER!!!!

love that! way better than the doge. when you had the bottom problem i was thinking "just notch it like the RTR enduro" and much to my delight, i scrolled down and that's exactly what you did.

BRAVO sir! you continue to impress me with your awesome builds.
as for that crease, is it the white curve above the rear door handle, passenger side? its not that bad. for the hastle i would leave it, maybe even weather it to look like a "trail woops"?

killer build man that 4runner looks perfect on the IFS enduro chassis!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:38 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Thanks fellas for the kind words! Really liking this truck overall, it's certainly different.

Got some painting done this morning... I'm all kinds of backed up, I've got 6 projects waiting for paint. Went with a traditional Toyota style but using my own colors. I think it came out ok. Nothing really fancy.

I did a "Foose fade" on the silver... it's silver at the top of the stripes and fades to gunmetal at the bottom. It's not super noticeable (camera is really not picking it up) but does help visually in person. It's a pretty cool effect, I want to play around a bit on some other bodies.

I like it! Looks badass with the IFS imo.

Got some more detailing to do, as well as a roof rack on the way. Probably a wheel change too, I think the black looks a little bland. Tires are staying for sure, I love the stance.

I didn't contact anyone about the crease in the body. Going to get beat up on the rock anyway, so it's the first of many.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #38
Gold Star Baby!

That came out great! Looks really good, solid job on the door/panel line detailing. The VP bumper and IFS skid plate tie together very well.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:31 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Now you need to drive it. And get back to everone to tells us it did....

Paint look great....
1beatjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:16 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1beatjeep View Post
Now you need to drive it. And get back to everone to tells us it did....

Paint look great....

I know!! I'm ready as soon as the weather cooperates.

OS's IFS Enduro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS's Sawback V2 OSRC G-Made Sawback 17 09-25-2023 02:25 PM
A new Element uncovered? IFS Conversion for Enduro and SCX10 Topher Builds Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 174 03-04-2020 01:24 PM
OS's XR OSRC Axial XR10 21 11-09-2011 08:39 PM