Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: IFS "Hard" parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default IFS "Hard" parts

Has anyone got any info on the range of IFS "hard" parts that are waiting in the wings for release? Is this just a stronger plastic compound?

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/asc42207.htm

Looks like we could piece together a "hard" ifs kit for a pretty reasonable price.
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: IFS "Hard" parts

I'd be willing to bet that it will be twice the price to buy all the parts separately than in the kit. Id assume the hard parts are just a stiffer compound material similar to what that do with their race kits.
jonnywachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Ok, this rubs me the wrong way.

1. Buy Enduro kit.
2. Buy hard chassis upgrades, discard soft kit pieces.
3. Buy IFS kit, discard kit front axle.
4. Buy IFS hard upgrades. Discard soft kit pieces.

That’s the only way to get a hard IFS rig? Buying a bunch of pieces you won’t use? That’s inefficient, wasteful, and poor value.

Tell me I’m wrong....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You're not wrong @rkj but I think peoples obsession with a stiff chassis has been way overblown.

Just look back to the days when the SCX10 was new, it was a wet noodle in terms of chassis stiffness yet its still considered pretty great to this day, long in the tooth but good. but now that things have gotten better and better the bar has been raised along with expectations.

(That said I have the hard parts for the standard non IFS Enduro)

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-05-2020 at 08:07 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:55 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post

1. Buy Enduro kit.

That’s the only way to get a hard IFS rig? Buying a bunch of pieces you won’t use? That’s inefficient, wasteful, and poor value.

Tell me I’m wrong....

100% I agree! They need to consolidate their offering. Its all over the shop.
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:47 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

It’s the current business practice, sell basic, sell upgrades, more profit.. (maybe someone should point out the environmental issues of discarded plastic), but basically no one is forced to upgrade, and I will only upgrade as bits wear out or break, which I suppose is what the expected. The ifs kit aside.

The worry I have with harder parts is will they be more brittle/fragile?

Element Sendero 1/10. Crawler/Trailer.
Scx24 crc. Crawler 1/24.
Wltoys a212. Shortcourse 1/24.
Wltoys k969. Drifty 1/28
Mr_Wolf_Is_Innocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
You're not wrong @rkj but I think peoples obsession with a stiff chassis has been way overblown.
Agreed. Hard parts are good for consistent suspension action in racing, but it's pretty stupid in scalers.

I'll take a little flex and durability with my scaler parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Wolf_Is_Innocent View Post
The worry I have with harder parts is will they be more brittle/fragile?
Yes, they will surely be more fragile than the standard, more flexible parts.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I was under the impression the IFS kit parts were made from the "old" hard material and all the "new" hard parts are even harder. My brain hurt after typing that out. I apologize in advance.
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I'm not so sure if the "hard" parts are needed either, but I've personally never touched, or driven an Enduro, so I'm not qualified to speak in detail on the subject.

However, I have witnessed a fair number of people posting their builds online are using the "hard" parts on their builds. Whether the "hard" is needed or not, clearly some people want it. It might not be a bad idea to make it easier for people to buy what they want, withing selling them a bunch of parts they don't want. That's a part of the concept of why builder's kits are offered in the first place right? To avoid forcing people to buy a bunch servos, tires, etc. that people don't want.

I understand it might not make sense for Element to offer 10 different RTRs, and 5 kit versions right away, but I think there is room to extend their offerings a bit, to minimize the size of the scrap pile that results after some buyer's builds.

Last edited by rkj__; 03-06-2020 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:19 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post

1. Buy Enduro kit.

Tell me I’m wrong....

you're wrong because if you think you need the "hard" parts for a scaler you are crazy. These trucks drive at a slow speed and crawl over things, I guarantee you wouldn't know the difference between the two materials on the trail.
jonnywachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:36 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Ok, I love my Enduro Sendero, and before I had a ton of wheel time on it... I bought several "hard parts" for my Enduro builder's kit that I haven't built, thinking I'd make it my "suped up" version of my Sendero RTR.

I've now got a ton of wheel time on my Sendero, and my thoughts are.. You don't really need the hard parts. Maybe buy the hard part for the chassis brace that goes between the frame-rails, but as for the rest.... not needed.

If you wanted a stiffer panhard mount (I'm still running stock btw).... I'd go full on metal shock hoops rather than use the hard parts. The axles are fine as-is.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #12
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Ok, I love my Enduro Sendero, and before I had a ton of wheel time on it... I bought several "hard parts" for my Enduro builder's kit that I haven't built, thinking I'd make it my "suped up" version of my Sendero RTR.

I've now got a ton of wheel time on my Sendero, and my thoughts are.. You don't really need the hard parts. Maybe buy the hard part for the chassis brace that goes between the frame-rails, but as for the rest.... not needed.

If you wanted a stiffer panhard mount (I'm still running stock btw).... I'd go full on metal shock hoops rather than use the hard parts. The axles are fine as-is.
Precisely. I view them similar to the RPM pieces on traxxas bashers, they’re replacement parts, not really “upgrades”. If something breaks then replace it with the hard part otherwise save ya coin and go with a third party option for more of a true upgrade.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Totally agree. I run my rtr with stock plastic and it is absolutely fine. No need to "upgrade".
As other said. Maybe get them as a cheap upgrade if one of the parts fail. To replace everything at the start doesn't make much sense and is not necessary.
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:05 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Precisely. I view them similar to the RPM pieces on traxxas bashers, they’re replacement parts, not really “upgrades”. If something breaks then replace it with the hard part otherwise save ya coin and go with a third party option for more of a true upgrade.

That makes sense. Like I said, I found it a little odd, that people are starting their builds with hard plastic braces and such. Perhaps, there is no need for Element to offer a "hard kit." I don't really have a good estimate of how many people are starting their build with hard stuff, but I saw a few pictures online, so I thought it might be more popular than I would have guessed.

I would however be interested in seeing them offer an IFS kit and an IFS RTR though.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I’m another one who built the kit stock. No hard parts on my rig. Only thing I know I’ll have to change out soon is my link ends as I know at least 2 that will probably pull out soon.

lilws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:17 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I recall at Proline by the fire when the Sendero was first released the guys fielding questions mentioned that the hard parts were also lighter..... which turned out to be false. I actually compared a few parts and the hard parts were just a tiny bit heavier, but them being lighter was a bit of a draw (until I weighed them) .
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:12 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I recall at Proline by the fire when the Sendero was first released the guys fielding questions mentioned that the hard parts were also lighter..... which turned out to be false. I actually compared a few parts and the hard parts were just a tiny bit heavier, but them being lighter was a bit of a draw (until I weighed them) .
Are you sure they didn't mean lighter "color"?

In all seriousness though, I'm wondering if this was a push from the Team Associated side of things to offer the hard parts.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote

IFS "Hard" parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mighty's IFS KOH/Ultra build. "Outcast" Mighty1 1.9 Scale Rigs 27 06-28-2014 07:06 PM
exwraith'o, flexo, exo build, "BEAST" ifs mcrawlinslow 2.2 Scale Rigs 15 12-11-2013 12:37 PM
"SOCAL" IFS full fab Trophy Class Mighty1 1.9 Scale Rigs 33 11-27-2013 10:38 PM