Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero

Notices

Thread: Kit or rtr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Kit or rtr

I currently run a heavily modded and capable hpi venture, and also a trx4, am looking at possibly the sendero but not sure wether to get the rtr or the kit. Any suggestions? Clearly your all going to be slightly biased as you already own one 😉 thinking of putting an lc80 on it.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2020, 04:34 PM   #2

Default Re: Kit or rtr

I am always in favor of the kit. You get to touch each piece and see how it mounts. You get to put whatever electronics, wheels, tire, and body you like on the vehicle. After building, you have a better sense of what's wrong and how to fix it.

That is my 2 cents worth.
mtbmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:36 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmonkey View Post
I am always in favor of the kit. You get to touch each piece and see how it mounts. You get to put whatever electronics, wheels, tire, and body you like on the vehicle. After building, you have a better sense of what's wrong and how to fix it.

That is my 2 cents worth.
I second this! Couldn't have said it better myself

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

But what does the kit have that the rtr doesn't? I've built enough to not worry about the innards. And I also don't want to end up spending that much more tmon a kit then I would a rtr.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:36 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
But what does the kit have that the rtr doesn't? I've built enough to not worry about the innards. And I also don't want to end up spending that much more tmon a kit then I would a rtr.
I own the kit and from my understanding there is no difference between the RTR and the kit, other than the RTR comes assembled and with electronics.
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

The electrics in the RTR aren’t terrible, so if you are looking to get up and running on the cheap and not so much looking to build its a solid option.

The kit doesn’t really contain anything special over the RTR. Aluminum shock caps and wheel hexes perhaps? Can’t remember for sure, but no major upgrades. The kit has a great price point. If you like to build, you could go kit and chuck a Hobbywing 1080 and a Holmes brushed sport motor at it to keep the cost comparable. Just use a Tx/Rx you already have.

The real deal is on the Trailwalker RTR. They are selling them on the cheap these days. They are the same truck with 1.55 wheels.

Personally, my vote goes for kit. Especially if it is your first Enduro.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The kit has steel gears in the transmission, links to build multiple wheelbases, and nicer shocks but doesn’t have any bumpers or sliders in addition to the expected no wheels, tires, and body.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
am looking at possibly the sendero but not sure wether to get the rtr or the kit. thinking of putting an lc80 on it.
I'll just say that chassis and body combo is likley to have some challenges depending on tire size. The biggest being how high the Enduro chassis sits. If you're going for a scale build with tiny tires and correct proportions you might have to modify things and look into lowering the ride height. The track width is likely to be too wide depending on which body you go with and I dont think anyone is offering narrowed Enduro axles yet (?).

Oh and Kit unless you're okay with RTR electronics or you plan to sell them.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-03-2020 at 06:49 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:45 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

If you have Instagram look up @mikesrch and @fleurdelysrc

Lots of scale hard body builds using the Enduro chassis.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 09:28 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I will add my two cents as I have both a kit and a trailwalker.

The stock Esc and motor leave a lot to be desired IMO, specifically when compared to a very budget HW1080 and Holmes sport motor. I thought I would run the rtr electronics for a while, but they lasted all of one run.

As previously mentioned, the Kit has aluminum shock caps, spring cups, machined steel gears in the trans (5% and 11%, as well as inverse top shaft in case you need to flip the trans) as well as extra links for 11.8”, 12” and 12.3” wheelbases.

Kit still has plastic hexes and pivot balls. For that reason, i would strongly consider a gatekeeper kit for my next build, since it includes many worthwhile upgrades. But for me, that would include selling the tube body, trailing arm set up and sway bar to swap it for regular links and shock hoops in the rear. Just something to consider. I easily have $299 into my kit with Ft hexes, pivot balls and a few hard plastic upgrades.
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote

Kit or rtr - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which SCX10 ii? Raw Builders Kit, Cherokee Kit or RTR Clarkbre Axial SCX10 II 30 03-27-2020 11:25 AM
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM
AX10 RTR or Kit for a build? Kit seems more popular, but RTR has some nice features. nukexbi Axial AX-10 Scorpion 21 05-09-2008 01:27 PM